The Art of Discourse II

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

CarmelaBear wrote:It is amazing how articulate, thoughtful and polite our posts tend to be. Some of the most prestigious sites include stupid and mean posts that just send me running and screaming away.
~
I think that's the vogue of young generation. Anytime someone tells something
concise, an abusive reply follows. Here, I can proudly say that I received
decent replies even when I literally got mad and want to thank you all for this.
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Ha ha ha, probably their using the shadow principle intuitively? :D

Blueshenb
Associate

Post by Blueshenb »

I think/feel a problem with the phrase "a higher order" of conversation or communication. Definition - which I believe started with Plato - is a tricky thing. To unpack this expression could take pages/hours. Having been involved in such papers and dialogues many years ago when I look at them now I just shake my head and cry. I fee/think I am getting nowhere the more I read. Is this a private club?
Also I have been given positive feedback from students simply because I make some of ther texts they read understandable. I am not trying to be funny, but would one call this kind of teaching "lower order."

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Um...I guess I could be a suboid. Or maybe someone is suffering from a bit of inflation?
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Welcome Blueshenb.

We are glad you're here. Come on in and get comfortable; we're just folks trying to figure things out like everyone else. The term " Higher Order " to me means bring your best that's in you; treat people the way you want to be treated; ( it's not hard ). At least if I understand your question.

What you do have here is a bunch of folks keenly interested in Joseph Campbell's work and how to better understand it. Everyone here is very helpful and I think you'll find with a little time and effort you'll start to get more comfortable. There is quite a bit of subject matter to chose from; so look around if you haven't had a chance yet; and jump in when you feel ready.

Cheers :D
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Welcome, Bluehenb!

First I want to second what James said. :)

And if you click on the Forum Guidelines link at the top of the index page, you'll find the JCF characterization of "conversations of a higher order."

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Honestly, I believe that it takes some reading -without forgetting priggish Europeans
like myself :(
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

"Respect and politeness" sums it up. :)

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Guidelines.

Good.

Helpful.

8)
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

jufa
Associate

Post by jufa »

Blueshenb wrote:I think/feel a problem with the phrase "a higher order" of conversation or communication. Definition - which I believe started with Plato - is a tricky thing. To unpack this expression could take pages/hours. Having been involved in such papers and dialogues many years ago when I look at them now I just shake my head and cry. I fee/think I am getting nowhere the more I read. Is this a private club?
Also I have been given positive feedback from students simply because I make some of ther texts they read understandable. I am not trying to be funny, but would one call this kind of teaching "lower order."
Welcome Blueshenb! I understand your
problem with the phrase "a higher order,"
based on the fact most people forget they started their learning process on the lowest level, and in advancing higher in their understanding, they have forgotten every level of their advancement was a higher order of understanding for them.

Conversation of a "Higher Order", to myself, is not defined by what one knows, but how one is able to communicate beyond self-righteousness and pride of believing they are better than. Or ones refusal to take a step backward to that level of understanding they have surpassed and remember the compassion they need from those above them when they were not so high-minded. People of all intelligence make the world go round. To get stuck on a level of believing one is better than, confines one to the prison of that which is better than what?

Reading must have a purpose, a vision, a goal for enrichment of the mind first, imagination second, conscious awareness third, soul gratification forth, and the peace of ones Spirit to be found in all moments, circumstances, situations, environ, and conditions of ones activity of living.

None can be reached and held onto, so the bliss to be had is in the knowledge the of the myth of the 'winged fish'.

IMHO
Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
http://theillusionofgod.yuku.com

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

Conversation of a "Higher Order", to myself, is not defined by what one knows, but how one is able to communicate beyond self-righteousness and pride of believing they are better than. Or ones refusal to take a step backward to that level of understanding they have surpassed and remember the compassion they need from those above them when they were not so high-minded. People of all intelligence make the world go round. To get stuck on a level of believing one is better than, confines one to the prison of that which is better than what? -jufa
Well said jufa.
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

I concur, jj. Jufa, that post is a fine addition to this thread.

I hadn't seen Blueshenb's post before today. (It's been that busy around here lately!) Although he hasn't returned to the discussion, I'd like to briefly answer his question:
Not at all. That's teaching, yes? Context is all in this regard. It would not be 'higher order' to do so here. If there is a problem understanding another's post, one can ask for clarification or take a stab at meaning in a 'is this what you meant' manner.

And to add a word to what 'higher order' means, 'civil' is the low end of the bar.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Last edited by Clemsy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Jufa, Jon, Clemsy, Cindy, and anyone else I may have left out; Thank you all. 8)

It is so important and cannot be overemphasized enough. Not only for the warmth and congeniallity it promotes; but for the simple fact as Cindy has stated that: " Not a minute goes by that someone in the world isn't reading here." :wink:

It not only represents the standard by which these forums are seen and judged by others; but at least to me; what Joseph Campbell's life and work represented. :D

( I think it is also good once in awhile to be reminded because you have just seen an example of why. ) :idea:

I hope I have not overstated the obvious here; but this set of posts was really just a nice concurance to witness. :)
Last edited by JamesN. on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Actually, James, I said that not a minute goes by that someone in the world isn't reading here. Too cool, I think. 8)

Cindy

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

( Sorry if I misquoted here. :oops: ) But absolutely that is what I meant. And yes as you were saying; " Too cool. " 8)

I'll fix that mistake now. :wink: