General Crosstalk - A Spot for the Odd Comment

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus »

Thanks James. I head up the housing but the program provides the other elements. I believe we are certainly unique in western MA..

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Dionysus it looks like you've definitely found a great "bliss" groove if you don't mind my saying so. Very inspiring to hear about; and having such a diversity of outlets probably helps to provide a good balance as well. (At my age I'd be totally exhausted by the time my head hit the pillow; but oh how rewarding it must feel at the end of the day.) Bravo and best of luck as you move ahead! 8)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus »

James, I'm 68.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Dionysus wrote:James, I'm 68.
Of course Dionysus; age is not what's important. Best of luck.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

D and Carmela, so nice to see you back, hope all is well.

Indeed best of luck with your projects.
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus »

Andreas. Hello! How are things in your neck of the woods?

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Considering I am from Greece, doing good, I guess, lol. Struggling with survival, trying to follow my dreams which is directing and writing, for the cinema though. Can't seem to formulate a coherent myth still (my thoughts are too chaotic lol) but I'll get it hopefully.

Yeah not to bad.

8)
Last edited by Andreas on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Andreas wrote:Considering I am from Greece, doing good, I guess, lol. Struggling with survival, trying to follow my dreams which is directing and writing, for the cinema though. Can't seem to formulate a coherent myth still (myth thoughts are too chaotic lol) but I'll get it hopefully.

Yeah not to bad.

8)

Andreas; John Lobell has several video clips and a new book out about "Visionary Creativity". Here is one which you might find of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7MYESCJ9VE

(He also has his own youtube channel.) Architecture seems to be his forte'; but as you just saw from his last clip: "Joseph Campbell - Symbol without Meaning"; his knowledge about Joseph covers a wide background. I just got the book this particular clip covers and it is excellent. (I especially like how he combines forward-looking themes and technologies with Joseph's ideas that encourages one to think outside-the-box as it were. Since Joseph died in 1987 and the internet; smart phones; and social media had not really even come into play as of yet; (the PC was just barely in it's infancy); it raises the point that a whole new paradigm of human activity has come into being and this book and themes cover that. Maybe it will give you some ideas. See what you think.

Cheers
:)

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Wow James, that is awesome. Perfect for Sunday morning with a freddo cappucino.

Thanks, really appreciate it. :D

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hope it is helpful Andreas. :)

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus »

Andreas, In my theatre, tho' I look for regional and locally written pieces, and although i live in an area in which we have writers and artists, galore, it is still difficult to meet our criteria. Finding a writer who shares your cinematic vision becomes imperative.

With plays, of course, it's easy enough to get the rights to a piece which interests you and fits into your artistic vision and is malleable enough to shape into a form which you find suitable.

My theatre partner and I actively seek out pieces that explore the human condition. I believe that all human activity is informed by two facts. How we adjust to being alone in the universe, and how we adjust to our own mortality. This is, perhaps, an oversimplification.

Campbell's The Creative Mythology, a wonderful read, may offer you some insights into gathering elements for your own cinematic mythology. At any rate i wish all the best. And may the muses smile on you.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Thank you for the advice D thats really nice of you.

I am really struggling with metaphor and its nature of potentially being misunderstood. But mainly all my efforts focus into finding a way to mythologize this technological world we live in and its relationship to our psychology.

Anyways, thanks again. I go watch James video. :)

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Oh, how I love to hear your voices!

This is great.

:D
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

I caught this clip from historian Ken Burns Stanford's commencement address. He expresses certain sociological and political issues that have been difficult for many to clarify during this particular campaign season as well as articulating what is really at stake; which is namely the ability to discriminate the difference between image and substance behind the mask of political "persona"; and the far reaching implications of this impact. Lastly he points toward the future with many of the inspiring themes that can be recognized from within much of Joseph Campbell's work. (Highly recommended.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F8zCQ4YnZ8

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

James,

Ken Burns makes high quality, accurate historical documentaries. I have enjoyed several of his films.

In this speech he gave a historical context for Trump as a president. He didn't pull any punches.

I think people who don't have a long view of history need to hear this.

Thanks
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. -Isaac Newton