General Crosstalk - A Spot for the Odd Comment

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Clemsy
Working Associate

General Crosstalk - A Spot for the Odd Comment

Post by Clemsy »

There is a general topic around here somewhere, started some years ago. Rather than try to track it down, thought I'd start a new one. Here is where you can say "Hi!" or "Happy Thanksgiving!" (which I'll do below) or "Whatever!".

I'll leave it stuck up top so it'll be easy to find.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Just put the turkey in the oven after a full day in the brine. (I won't mention the bag coming undone and leaking all over the downstairs fridge... oops, just did...) Everyone is still asleep and Riley (100 lb. yellow lab) is snoring at my feet. The forest outside is misty gray and still. Just a few weeks ago the birds would be calling out their territories and fluttering through the trees looking for breakfast. This morning, even the year rounders are elsewhere.

Quiet moments are precious.

I'm quite thankful for this one.When I lived in The City there was always some noise. Here the stillness lay like a meditation, drawing you in.

Soon the house will stir. Later we'll take the bird for a ride and celebrate the day with friends, a couple I've known since I was young enough to remember anything. The past few years have left holes at this dinner table, and they will be missed deeply today.

There is a bittersweet flavor to the harvest. We have to embrace the two.

...and be Thankful for it all.

Cheers,
Clemsy

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Happy Thanksgiving!

Please know how thankful I am to have crossed paths with all of you.

Have a wonderful day!

Cindy

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Happy Human Rights Day!
Regardless of race, creed, ideology, political bloc, or economic region, the most important and basic aspect of all people is their shared humanity-the fact that each person: old, young, rich, poor, educated, uneducated, male, female, is a human. This shared humanness and thus the shared aspiration of gaining happiness and avoiding suffering as well as the basic right to bring these about are of prime importance. – The Dalai Lama
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

I just had a sad day. WonderRex had to be euthanized today. He was 10 years old. His kidneys were giving out.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

My sympathies, Neo. Losing a pet is losing a friend, and often one closer than can be offered by a human.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

So sad, Neoplato, I'm sorry to hear about Rex. How are you doing?

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

We kind of knew something was wrong the last couple of months. So it wasn't too much of a shock. I didn't realize he lost 12 pounds (from 45) though and I wasn't prepared to have it done today.

I'm doing okay...just a little shocked. I just won't be in a good mood for awhile.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

I am so sorry Neo. It is indeed tough to lose a friend. It always helped me to think that they are going to a better place.
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Thanks everyone for the condolences.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

I am snowed it today. I've never seen this much snow in this area. It's kind of scary. :twisted:

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Welcome to Big Snow Neo! There's a rather primal feeling about it isn't there?

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

There's a rather primal feeling about it isn't there?
Fear of being trapped? Stuck in the cave? End of the world? :shock:

Get this. The snow has covered my Direct TV dish and I can't get any TV stations. We'll be digging out of this for days.

I think I need some flying reindeer. :shock:

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Don't start breaking up the furniture for firewood yet, Neo! You'll be okay. Go out and play!

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

OH! One of the most fun times I ever had was being stranded out in the country when I was living at grandma's house after she died. It was so cold that year the trees snapped off at the ground, limbs froze and broke like icicles. Nobody could get out and I was stranded with no electricity. Grandma had a water well.

I had a little wood stove and plenty of wood. It got hot! Propane for cooking my "commodities" (and the wood stove if I ran out), candles and tornado-supply oil lamps. Lots of books. I didn't realize how much I depended on electricity until I started cooking my regular time and ended up cooking in the dark by candlelight.

We were brought up without running water so I knew how to heat water on the stove and use a dishpan and take sponge baths in the basin. I went to bed when it was dark, knew enough already to have night wood by the stove to last me through the night. Got up when it was daylight. (learned the meaning of the phrase "wasting daylight"!) If the plumbing froze the old outhouse was still standing by the barn and I knew how to use a chamberpot.

It was relaxing. I had a little tv withdrawal for a day or so, but got to read all I wanted.

Susan