Jung (In The Weeds): Part Three

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Got it, I think. So identification is always unconscious and when this identification becomes conscious is not identification anymore?
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Kinda', sorta', and for another discussion, okay? We're all confused and confusing enough as it is for now. :mrgreen:

This is really deep into it, Andreas. So for now, let's just focus in the literal emergence of consciousness from unconsciousness, and later we'll look at the symbolic and metaphorical associations and implications, and also slice-and-dice various psychology terms as they come up. 8)

Do, however, hold onto to any Jungian slices that I share with you along the way.

I'm exiting the premises now to pay my bills, she said... Again. :P

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Um...I'm sort of confused. Babies are inflated because they don't have an ego or developed consciousness (which I thought was the source of inflation) so they are completely "identified" with the unconscious. :?

But baby inflation is not the same as adult inflation? :shock:

Or does this simply mean if you never developed an "ego" the only state you can be is inflation/identification because no sense of "I" ever existed?

In other words, "I" can not inflate nor can it be "wiped out" because it never existed?
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Sit tight for a bit, all. When I get back, I'll share a post to establish the context and put everything into perspective.

Peu de temps!

Cindy

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Sit tight for a bit
Wandering minds don't have a tendency to "sit tight" very well. :wink:

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Please review the Structure of the Psyche.

Post by Cindy B. »

Listen, folks, it's going to be later today before I can get back. I need to sleep for a bit, too, my body's now telling me, and my sleep cycle is one of "if you can, when you can," and I need to take advantage of that since it's Sunday.

In the meantime, I'm assigning homework :P , because I do believe that it would be helpful to review a few basics. It won't take much time, and I'm going to provide links to material that you've all read before.

The Collective Unconscious and Self: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 3302#53302

Consciousness and the Ego: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 3370#53370

Ego/Ego Complex: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 2384#72384

The Personal Unconscious and Complexes: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 3407#53407

Please also take another look at the Jung Definitions that I indicated here:
http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 5341#75341

Thanks for your understanding and patience, guys! :D

Cindy

P.S. Please don't forget to include this one to provide the framework for Edinger's book:
Myth and Psyche: The Evolution of Consciousness:: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 6665#56665
Last edited by Cindy B. on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Neo, think about it like that.

When we are infants, consciousness(Ego) and Unconsciousness(Self) are one! Both are Self. As we grow older the Ego separates from the Self and we become conscious of ourselves and of our environment. Adam and Eve eat the apple, that is the awareness of duality.
Eating the forbidden fruit marks the transition from the eternal state of unconscious oneness with the Self (the mindless, animal state) to a real, conscious life in space and time. In short the myth symbolizes the birth of the ego. The effect of this birth is to alienate the ego from its origins. It now moves into a world of suffering, conflict and uncertainty.(Ego and Archetype, p. 18]
Edit: Alright, Cindy posted more than enough information, I think. :lol:

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Must read more carefully! 8)
Last edited by Andreas on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

We'll make little progress here if we have to review the basic structure of the personality all along the way and basic concepts. You may know this info., Andreas, but many may have forgotten or may not. So if you have no need for the review, that's cool, but for those who might, it's on the board now.

Now for some zzzzz. :P

Cindy

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Andreas wrote:Neo, think about it like that.

When we are infants, consciousness(Ego) and Unconsciousness(Self) are one! Both are Self. As we grow older the Ego separates from the Self and we become conscious of ourselves and of our environment. Adam and Eve eat the apple, that is the awareness of duality.
Eating the forbidden fruit marks the transition from the eternal state of unconscious oneness with the Self (the mindless, animal state) to a real, conscious life in space and time. In short the myth symbolizes the birth of the ego. The effect of this birth is to alienate the ego from its origins. It now moves into a world of suffering, conflict and uncertainty.(Ego and Archetype, p. 18]
We're on the same page. However, it would have been nice if the apple wasn't forced down my throat for the first 18 years of my life. I've only been throwing it up for the last 25 years.

I've always been curious what would happen in a constructive molding process? Maybe that's a question I ask the Dalai Lama. :wink:

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Sorry, Andreas, I didn't mean to come off that way, especially since I wasn't thinking of you in that way. My bad. I'm feeling grumpy, so see you soon when I'll again be my usual sweetness and light. :lol:

Cindy

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Nevermind, that is why I deleted the post lol..

Sleep is for the weak! Joking. Goodnight. :P

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

Andreas wrote:Neo, think about it like that.

I always think of the serpent in the Garden of Eden as the reptile brain. :wink:

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Scratching my head, I have to admit. Can you elaborate a bit more? :)

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Yeah, does that mean reptiles aren't capable of consciousness?