My Favorite Quotes

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

romansh wrote:Bill Clinton
I want to leave a better world. The reason you should do things for other people is selfish. There’s no difference between selfish and selfless if you understand how the world works. We’re all tied together. We live in an interdependent world.
Now if Ayn Rand had said this it might take on a different slant. ;)
Depends, romansh, on when you would've asked Ms. Rand--before or after she took her Social Security and Medicare benefits. :roll:
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Cindy B. wrote:
romansh wrote:Bill Clinton
I want to leave a better world. The reason you should do things for other people is selfish. There’s no difference between selfish and selfless if you understand how the world works. We’re all tied together. We live in an interdependent world.
Now if Ayn Rand had said this it might take on a different slant. ;)
Depends, romansh, on when you would've asked Ms. Rand--before or after she took her Social Security and Medicare benefits. :roll:
I have not read anything of Rand's and everything I have come across is second or third hand through mainly liberal eyes. This by and large as been unflattering.

From what I understand of her world view, she simply did not take it far enough and to its logical conclusion where she would have seen it through Clinton's eyes (I think). That she can be seen as hypocritical, perhaps? Maybe she was true to herself and said sod it to the principle and took advantage of the system.

Either way I am cool
8)

Or so I tell people ;)
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Carmela.

Thanks for the input. I'll think it over.

Ron

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Roncooper wrote:Carmela.

Thanks for the input. I'll think it over.

Ron
Remember that I talk off the top of the pile of thoughts that manage to find a place inside my noggin. Take it lightly, throw it up in the air and let it land and roll down until it stops moving.

Models are supposed to help us. The more simple the model, the more likely it is to hold up under greater and more repeated scrutiny.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

The most interesting thing about Rand is how popular her POV was and is.

There is something mesmerizing in it, even when it does not work. There is a mean-spiritedness about it that absolutely and violently repels me.

I agree that folks who claim to be acting out of selfless lack of ego and total altruism are either admitting self-hatred or lying to themselves (and others) or they are being both self-hating and hypocritical.

That does not mean that we should condemn those who are selfless and giving. It just mans our respect for such a person is a recognition of our own potential to behave in exactly the same way, if the situation could be replicated. If it is God's work, then we are all capable of being like God to some degree, if that is our want.

~

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

IMHO Ayn Rand is just one more "let them eat cake." conservative. She has her wealth and if you don't, that's because you are lazy. She glorifies power for its own sake.

She was never in a position of power but she wrote a philosophy about it. It is a philosophy written from ignorance and inexperience.

I read "The Fountainhead," a long time ago. The characters were two dimensional stereotypes. The main character was a strong will, powerful male. There was also a rich female character. Interestingly, after he rapes her, she falls in love with him and she becomes a better person. It’s a great message.

Ron

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

CarmelaBear wrote: Models are supposed to help us. The more simple the model, the more likely it is to hold up under greater and more repeated scrutiny.

~
Not sure about this - I think there is a proviso - your model was too simple
Einstein wrote:“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Cindy,

Thank you for this post:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Where love rules, there is no will to power; where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other. --Jung

This quote is my current Signature, Ron, so it pops up with every post that I make. Go to your Profile page if you'd like to create Signatures of your own. I frequently change mine, and this one came to mind again during my recent conversation with James about the US gun control debate.

By the way, this quote reflects the Jungian concepts of opposites and shadow. You can read about the shadow here if you'd like; scroll down midway. Here you can read about opposites and enantiodromia.

I have read the posts you listed and I think my dimensions are what Jung called functions of the psyche. I have a different spin on these functions, which I will post as soon as I get the time.

Ron

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Ron,

I have a suggestion. Consider creating a new thread delineating your five types. Folks would be glad to explore your ideas, I'm sure, and right now your original post is hidden in another thread. You can save yourself time and work, too, with a simple copy & paste of your original post into the opening post of the new thread. It's up to you, of course.

Also and just so you know, Jung used the terms types and functions in ways specific to analytical psychology. You can check it out here if you'd like.

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

There is an enormous amount of stuff that could be worked further.
As Andrew Marvel said, "if there were words enough and time"

James Hillman, Ph. D. on Alchemical psychology
from the Root and the Bloom, Opus Archives newsletter,
Pacifica Graduate Institute

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Here is a quote from Duran Duran (Barbarella)
A life without a cause is a life without effect.
:wink:

Ron

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Here is one from an old Bob Dylan record.
Money doesn't talk it swears."
I think he is closer to the truth.

Ron

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Albert Einstein:
The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. The trite subjects of human efforts, possessions, outward success, luxury have always seemed to me contemptible.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Just to create a bit of an antithesis carmela. :)
All the technological progress of these last years has only taught human beings how to kill more of each other faster. It's very difficult for me to retain a sanguine outlook on life under such circumstances. —Akira Kurosawa
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

I think this quote here will resonate with most here.
It is attributed to Albert Einstein:
If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be very intelligent, read them more fairy tales.
I haven't found the original source in my five minute search of the web.

but after another five minute search ....
... an anxious mother who wanted to help her child become a scientist: "First, give him fairy tales; second, give him fairy tales, and third, give him fairy tales!"
here

and an earlier version
Found in Montana Libraries: Volumes 8-14 (1954), p. cxxx. The story is given as follows: "In the current New Mexico Library Bulletin, Elizabeth Margulis tells a story of a woman who was a personal friend of the late dean of scientists, Dr. Albert Einstein. Motivated partly by her admiration for him, she held hopes that her son might become a scientist. One day she asked Dr. Einstein's advice about the kind of reading that would best prepare the child for this career. To her surprise, the scientist recommended 'Fairy tales and more fairy tales.' The mother protested that she was really serious about this and she wanted a serious answer; but Dr. Einstein persisted, adding that creative imagination is the essential element in the intellectual equipment of the true scientist, and that fairy tales are the childhood stimulus to this quality." However, it is unclear from this description whether Margulis heard this story personally from the woman who had supposedly had this discussion with Einstein, and the relevant issue of the New Mexico Library Bulletin does not appear to be online.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#Disputed

I am reminded of the New Testament scribes adding their wisdom to a dusty memory of an apocryphal quote