My Favorite Quotes

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Especially for people like me with two left feet.

Ron

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Good one. I vote for umbrellas.

8)
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

zoe
Associate

Post by zoe »

She believed in nothing; only her skepticism kept her from being an atheist. Jean-Paul Sartre

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Zoe,

I really like this one. She was too skeptical to take Kierkegaard's leap to faith.

Ron

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

She has faith in her skepticism. So touching.

:idea:

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Carmela,

I would like to return to the Shakespeare quote.
"To be wise and love is beyond man's might."
I think he means at the same time. There a lot of situations like this. IMHO to be wise and dance is also impossible. I certainly cannot think about science when I sing.

A long time ago I wrote a poem about making the choice between wisdom and love. Here it is for the fun of it. It is called;

To You

Doing more is less
Than not doing at all
And being good destroys the best
And puts the rest on call

And science proved that nothing ventured
Means that nothing's lost
That sitting without the slightest urge
Still has a priceless cost

And maybe I'll end in Hell
Maybe there we'll share a room
Or maybe we'll with glowing Angels dwell
They say its bliss or boom

But rare is your adorable smile
Your brilliant countenance
These questions fly a million miles
When we so closely dance

And though the endless eons stand
Demanding a graceful bow
Insisting on a prudent plan
I’d rather be with you now :)

Ron

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

There is wisdom in the last line....."I'd rather be with you now"

Love.

Wisdom.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Carmela,

Ok. At this time I continue to believe that the inner life of a person is multidimensional and that the rules and goals for these dimensions are different and can be in conflict. I have also chosen to define these dimensions as the heart, the will, the intellect, consciousness, and creativity.

However, I have an open mind, and would be happy to hear the details of your inner model. I have learned a lot from JCF conversations and am eager to learn more.

Ron

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

Concern for man and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors. Never forget this in the midst of your diagrams and equations.

- Albert Einstein
Jon would love that, I think. :wink:

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

nandu wrote:
Concern for man and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors. Never forget this in the midst of your diagrams and equations.

- Albert Einstein
Jon would love that, I think. :wink:

Nandu.
Next time you calculate a Reynolds number remember to be concerned for man's fate ;)
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

SteveC
Associate

Post by SteveC »

Roncooper wrote: To You

Doing more is less
Than not doing at all
And being good destroys the best
And puts the rest on call

And science proved that nothing ventured
Means that nothing's lost
That sitting without the slightest urge
Still has a priceless cost

And maybe I'll end in Hell
Maybe there we'll share a room
Or maybe we'll with glowing Angels dwell
They say its bliss or boom

But rare is your adorable smile
Your brilliant countenance
These questions fly a million miles
When we so closely dance

And though the endless eons stand
Demanding a graceful bow
Insisting on a prudent plan
I’d rather be with you now :)

Ron
Great poem.

The great triangularization: good and evil and love interests

If we abandon love, can we fight evil? That which is closest is easiest. If we embrace love, can we work towards any good that is not self-interest?

For me, this is one of the huge questions lurking in the back of my mind. We see it played out all the time, like in the movie Metropolis. While it is a social commentary of the abuse of the poor by the rich, there are multiple love stories at play. Maria and the son, the son and the father, the father and the inventor for the woman who died. The crowd for Maria, who follow even when she is not Maria but the evil robot. Why don't they see it is not her, and correct the 'new version' rather than follow her madness? How do we love, when ambition is love and love is ambition, and ambition is a double-edged sword?
You can only see the height of a mountain from its valley.

The radical myth towards which the helix aspires is beyond the desire for money or power, yet which has greater returns than all the power and money in the world could not achieve.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Carmela,

Here is a link to a post by Cindy B. Notice the quote by Jung. He sees love and the will as shadows of each other.

http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 6631#86631

I see them as different dimensions. I hope you have time to post your view. I am working in isolation without much feedback.

Ron

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Where love rules, there is no will to power; where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other. --Jung
This quote is my current Signature, Ron, so it pops up with every post that I make. Go to your Profile page if you'd like to create Signatures of your own. I frequently change mine, and this one came to mind again during my recent conversation with James about the US gun control debate.

By the way, this quote reflects the Jungian concepts of opposites and shadow. You can read about the shadow here if you'd like; scroll down midway. Here you can read about opposites and enantiodromia.

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Roncooper wrote:Carmela,

Ok. At this time I continue to believe that the inner life of a person is multidimensional and that the rules and goals for these dimensions are different and can be in conflict. I have also chosen to define these dimensions as the heart, the will, the intellect, consciousness, and creativity.

However, I have an open mind, and would be happy to hear the details of your inner model. I have learned a lot from JCF conversations and am eager to learn more.

Ron
Campbell taught that the strongest of human energies originates in the body, both at the level of the brain and what he referred to as "down there". Our inner life is greatly influenced by the realities of our physical lives. The model that best describes the functioning of our mind-body begins with awareness.

There are functions that operate reflexively and without our conscious knowledge. The greatest conflict for a human is the one with the self whom we encounter as a stranger, an interloper and a lying, cheating thief.

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Bill Clinton
I want to leave a better world. The reason you should do things for other people is selfish. There’s no difference between selfish and selfless if you understand how the world works. We’re all tied together. We live in an interdependent world.
Now if Ayn Rand had said this it might take on a different slant. ;)
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"