Comparitive mythology and Israel

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Arpit
Associate

Comparitive mythology and Israel

Post by Arpit »

What would be some places to visit in Israel and Egypt, that would be important from a comparitive mythology viewpoint ?

Arpit
Associate

Post by Arpit »

I'll be closing this thread in a few days. Before that, I would like to share some of the research I've done.

Jerusalem is a fascinating place, home to the three monotheistic religions. It's history is complex, a tale of reappropriation of stories and symbols. Every important structure is built on top of much older structures - the dome of the rock, for example. Buildings such as David's tomb are symbolic, named as such to lay claim to important sites in Jerusalem. By far the most important symbols here refer to the End of Days, where the entire narrative as written, will play out in structures that can be seen in Jerusalem. Oh, and you can also visit armageddon (al magiddo) and hell.

David and Solomon are superhero archetypes, with everyone vying for an association with them.

This place is a living reminder of millenia of human doubt, struggle and search for purpose.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Arpit,

I see Jerusalem as the symbolic center for the religion of the will, and by this I mean the control of the will and with it the civilization of humanity. For me the three middle eastern religions are early attempts at providing a path for our wills in the same way that Buddhism provides a path for our consciousness.

Making power civilized and honorable is essential for our survival, and while these attempts are very flawed, hopefully one day we will be able to bring them up to date.

Scientific views of the world are understood as the best view we have at the moment, which will get better with time. I wish the dogma of these religions could be seen in the same way, but unfortunately they demand blind faith.

I see the teachings of Jesus as the introduction of the path of love in the midst of this strong willed world. His "other way to God" was seen as a threat and so they killed him.