Being connected no matter what

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

How easy is it to feel a universal blissful connection to all things?

Easy peasy, I just have to think it and then I'll feel it
No votes
Very hard, a person would have to do a huge amount of inner work to feel this
100%
Not possible, there are situations where we will feel disconnected and there is nothing we can do about it.
No votes

Total votes: 1

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

I haven't thought of it a lot honjaku but it seems to me that people have different notions of what it means to be connected. For me it is writing. When I write, analyse or think about story/myths, it makes me feel, not comfortable, since often times I have to go to territories I wish I hadn't but it certainly makes me feel at home, attune, with my nature.

And by the way I don't agree with Rom. when he says that people who believe in free will must also believe in some sort of homunculus. That is simply not true from personal experience. The distinction I could make is that the body and the mind do seem to be at odds often times. Each having its own demands of life. For example the body looking for earthly pleasures, the mind looking for some sort of higher existence.

Basically, for me, the whole idea of feeling connected/disconnected boils down to the mind/body argument. So to answer your original question if the two are one then yes it is possible to have this experience felt all the time. Highly unlikely in my case since I like to keep the tension going, but still might be possible for some people.

That being said it might be a bit more complicated than that. :P
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

honjaku wrote:Nice essay, the logic is all good. The question was does this analysis offer comfort? Does it help you feel connected? The exploration is of the felt experience of connection. We human being seem to need it, indeed life without it seems almost unbearable. So how does this felt experience of connection manifest? Coming back to the original question, is it possible to have this felt experience all the time? How so?
I have answered this question already honjaku.
no I don't feel connected, but reason screams at me that I am.
Offer comfort? ... initially far from it. But it led me to a place not to chase comfort happiness per se.

I will leave it to those that actually "feel" connected to explain "How so?"

It is understanding for me. A bit like Clarence Darrow's quote:
  1. Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

just a test ... my last post can be seen but is not showing
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Just testing

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

I remember Campbell saying Heaven is being with God and Hell is being separate. So what can we do to experience being connected?

I would say it is no different than anything other experience. We practice. Once you experience being connected you do things to recreate this experience, and if you are successful even in a small way, you continue. This effort becomes a practice which reforms the brain to optimize your chances for success. In time a person can live in a state that Maslow called the plateau experience. There is a great deal of comfort and peace on the plateau.

But I still think the great experiences come only by grace.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

I remember Campbell saying Heaven is being with God and Hell is being separate. So what can we do to experience being connected?

I would say it is no different than anything other experience. We practice. Once you experience being connected you do things to recreate this experience, and if you are successful even in a small way, you continue. This effort becomes a practice which reforms the brain to optimize your chances for success. In time a person can live in a state that Maslow called the plateau experience. There is a great deal of comfort and peace on the plateau.

But I still think the great experiences come only by grace.