The Immaterial

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Roncooper wrote:I agree. The interviewer, the pope , and the comedian are blind. It is obvious from the way they behave. Not their fault, though.
The good thing Ron ... it's not your fault either.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Nor yours.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. -Isaac Newton

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Roncooper wrote:Nor yours.
Exactly Ron ... this is exactly my point.

Forgiveness is completely unnecessary.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

In this case.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. -Isaac Newton

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Roncooper wrote:In this case.
Ah, I see.

So is it the material or the immaterial that does the forgiving and is it the immaterial or the material that requires the forgiveness?

In certain cases that is.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Why mist it always be either-or?

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Roncooper wrote:Why mist it always be either-or?
Ron
Please have a go at answering my question. thanks.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

OK but I am tired of the stalemate. These years of discussions are wearing me down to the point that I am beginning to accept Alan Watts' description that tt is more about plot development and not about progress.

Here goes.

I forgive. In my opinion I am what Jung called the Self, the whole person. So, what is that? That depends on the beliefs of the interested party.

My personal belief is similar to a line in a poem by Kabir. I looked for the poem, but I cannot find it.

He says something like, I am the wedding of the immanent and the transcendent., From this perspective, when I forgive , my forgiveness comes from both.

Of course a Buddhist, who thinks only consciousness is real would say forgiveness is transcendent, and a materialist would say it is immanent.

The dance goes on.

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

So both the immanent and the transcendent can require forgiveness at times?

And does the material need forgiveness?

Funnily enough I was speaking to a spiritually inclined lady a few weeks ago and she was saying we need to be able to forgive ourselves and others. I replied to the effect that ultimately there is nothing to forgive.

She paused and then said forgiveness is a stepping stone to this position.