Poetic Naturalism

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Roncooper wrote:... but he sometimes hung out in a topless bar. When the city closed the bar, the owner sued and Feynman was a witness for the bar.
Good for Feynman ... at least he did not suffer from a sanctimonious outlook on sexuality.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

The physicists at Caltech were great teachers.

When I was there one of the professors, Ricardo Gomez from Colombia, was called to jury duty. He sat through a case about drunken driving and an accident that was all here-say with poor evidence. When the lawyers finished there summations, Ricardo called out, "This is all bullshit," and walked out.

Nothing happened to him. They just used an alternate.

I know this is true because I saw him do it on other Bullshit occasions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. -Isaac Newton

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Roncooper wrote: I know this is true because I saw him do it on other Bullshit occasions.
This must be some of your non-either-or logic.

I am not doubting the verity of your story ... just totally bemused by the reasoning within your statement.

Also I can't help thinking your professor missed the point of being a juror. If the plaintiff's case, does not meet the requirement on the balance of probabilities (assuming it was a civil case) then Gomez should find for the defence, irrespective of the quality of the Bullshit provided by the defence.

The law is logical ... it's implementation is all too human.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"