The Warrior Hero: Reality and Myth

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

wags
Associate

Post by wags »

welcome,
have fun with in the site!
wags
may peace preceed your every step, wags

CarmelaBear
Associate

Re: The hero's journey

Post by CarmelaBear »

vanbengler wrote:"Hero" in classical mythology, a priestess (personal comment: and note the femine; i.e. the carrier, sustainer and nurturer of life) who drowned herself after her lover Leander drowned while swiming the Hellespont (now known as the Dardanelles, about 40 miles long and 1 - 5 miles wide connecting the Black Sea and the Mediterranean). as above: from RHCD, 1983

So, just as a comment: It seems that we i.e. "modern society" have this whole "hero" thing all mixed up. The original "hero" was feminine . . . . the carrier, sustainer, and nurturer of life . . and it seems that this has been totally forgotten or warped and distorted in the passage of time.
vanbengler,

We are very happy about your presence in our conversations. Your comments present a number of points for consideration.

I had forgotten about the classical "Hero". Silly me. I have usually associated the word with the masculine on account of the term "heroine" sometimes used to denote a female. Actually, we might use a word like "heromacho" for the guy, and reserve the word "hero" for the ladies. :wink:

Though most would agree that modernity does create challenge for those in need of connection and meaning, it also creates new and better metaphors that have the power to perform the tasks we associate with mythology. An obvious example is the role of science, which is often referred to as a form of mythology in that it can command the kind of authority often associated with religion and statecraft. The storytelling and ritual capacities of the modern audio-visual media are in the process of providing humanity with new tools for connecting and understanding.

There is reason to be hopeful and delighted and awestruck by the possibilities inherent in our most recent transformations.

~

Again, welcome to the JCF forum, vanbengler.

vanbengler
Associate

Post by vanbengler »

Thank you. I appreciate your very kind and gracious comments. I am looking forward to sharing thoughts, opinions, ideas and experiences.

thanks again,

-Brian

A J
Associate

Post by A J »

Hope you all will pardon me for bringing up this very old thread, but I wanted to let you guys know that the book that started it all, A Myth in Action: The Heroic Life of Audie Murphy, has recently been reprinted in both ebook and paperback format, thankfully at a lower price. (My publication rights reverted to me last month. I had always felt the book had been priced too high, but had no say with the publisher. This time around, I am publishing it myself.)

Either format is available at Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords. New covers, but the text is basically the same as the original edition.

AJ
"Sacred space and sacred time and something joyous to do is all we need. Almost anything then becomes a continuous and increasing joy."

A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Cool, AJ. Hope your sales soar! And it's nice to see you back. :)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

A J
Associate

Post by A J »

Thank you, Cindy

AJ
"Sacred space and sacred time and something joyous to do is all we need. Almost anything then becomes a continuous and increasing joy."

A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

A J wrote:This time around, I am publishing it myself.

AJ
Good for you AJ. Best wishes for a successful run!

:D
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene