Freemasonry

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Zeta Wanderer
Associate

Post by Zeta Wanderer »

Well for what it's worth.

I'm considering joining Freemasonry soon. I was raised with an ingrained suspicion of "secret" societies, but have come to grow interested in their philosophy. Reading hero, POM, and watching Mythos played a huge role in changing my mind.

Their usage of mythology and symbols as a system to teach morality, philosophy, and higher realizations is appealing to me. I have a feeling that Freemasonry has long employed the study of mythology and symbol for the goal of self-betterment.

On a wholly different note, I finally got brave enough to make my first post!

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Welcome to the JCF Conversations of a Higher Order, Zeta! Let us know what you think of the Freemasons.

Feel free to add your thoughts to any of the ongoing conversations!

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

amir_azizi
Associate

Does it make any Difference ?

Post by amir_azizi »

I am a Director and what I ve learn from Joseph Campbell is more than all of what I learned in University, Books , ......He is my inspiration and hero.

Now what difference does it make ? If he was a Freemason ? mentioned freemason ? did not mention freemasons ? COME ON....

is this about learning from a Master who contributed his life so we could learn so much about world even by sitting behind a monitor ?

Or about Background checks to see who did what ? Is this JCF or E!online ?

Are we going to talk about myths and learn from each other or gossip about Paris Hilton having a breast enlargement ?

I am so fed up with this, everywhere u go people are into background checks and gossip.
Love is Art and Art is Love

boringguy
Associate

Post by boringguy »

Dear amir_azizi,

Welcome to JFC.

I have to admit that I don’t share you concern over the question here, and having hung around JFC for a while now, would venture to guess that most others around here don’t either. I don’t take the question in anyway as a ‘background check’, perhaps that’s a cultural bias? I do think that what Campbell may have thought about the Masonic order and Masonic signs is a perfectly relevant question on this forum where individuals’ questions and conversation of any mythic tilt are encouraged, especially relating to Campbell.

And yes, I do recall Paris Hilton coming up in conversation around here before, although I don’t see that in this thread, but it was in relation to understanding ourselves as a society or in a social function, and so was again relative to both the sociological and pedagogical functions of myth, I think, which are perfectly relevant topics for JFC ‘Conversations of a Higher Order’. But everyone around here is pretty open minded to others perspective as long as it falls within the forum guidelines, so I do appreciate the fact that as you say, we are sometimes easily distracted in our world by some not to important things, but my own perspective in relation to your question, “Does it (Campbells thoughts as to the Freemasons) make any Difference?”. I’m reminded of the story about the monk and the starfish on the beach.

By a natural occurrence hundreds of thousands of starfish washed up onto a beach, and a monk who had gone to the beach to see this, was picking up one starfish at a time and tossing it back into the ocean as he walked. Another person who had also come to see the beach covered with starfish noticed the monk as he walked along, and as the monk passed by the other person said to the monk, “you can’t possibly think that makes any difference”, and as the monk picked up another one, looked at it, and tossed it back into the surf he simply replied, “it makes a difference to that one”. So perhaps a better understanding of Campbells thoughts relative to the question, may have made a difference to the one who asked it, no?

bg
Last edited by boringguy on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zeta Wanderer
Associate

Post by Zeta Wanderer »

Amir, I'm a little confused by your post.

I suppose it doesn't make much difference at all, though, a cursory glance at the way freemasonry uses myth seems to have much in common with campbell. I don't think anybody thinks he was a freemason. Lord knows, there are people around here who would have let us know right away.

Campbells discussions on masonic symbols are certainly not gossip. Do you have a critical view of freemasonry? If so, I'd be interested.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Amir,
Welcome to JCF forums. I'm a neigbour from Istanbul.

As for Freemasonry, that's a tradition going back to days
one of our ancestors thought that's it's good idea to built
a roof over his head.

There can be more popular, political and spectacular
views but in my understanding, Freemasonry's as old as first
geometrical conception of the world?

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

I believe Campbell address Freemasonry somewhere... Many of America's Founding Fathers were Freemasons and the symbolism, which Campbell addresses in Power of Myth, they adopted is, I believe, influenced by Freemasonry.

...But, Amir, no one is asking if Campbell was a Freemason. I doubt very much if he was as he was something of an outside observer by nature.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

And as a general rule, celebrities and politicians almost never publicly declare that
they're freemasons. This often remains a 'wordless' title for a lifetime.
Last edited by Ercan2121 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TRWolfe
Associate

Post by TRWolfe »

Clemsy wrote: would direct your attention to mention of Shea's Illuminatus Trilogy, which is a delightful, psychedelic romp of epic proportions.
If you'd like to learn about freemasonry, this is the book to checkout. Though, to be completely fair, it wasn't just Shea, but also author Robert Anton Wilson, who if it wasn't for him, I'd never even heard of JC. I think RAW was very much influenced by JC, especially since both were completely obsessed with Joyce. If you can find it, get a hold of RAW's Coincidance. Other than JC's work, this is the book that helped me decipher (if even just a bit more) Finnegans Wake.

Illuminatus! is VERY mythological, as well as any other adjective you can thing of. It's amazing. Read it now.

Also, I would not be surprised if JC was indeed initiated into some "society."
Be a teacher. Be a storyteller. Or be gone.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Ercan2121 wrote:And as a general rule, celebrities and politicians almost never publicly declare that
they're freemasons. This often remains a 'wordless' title for a lifetime.
ha, ha, ha :)
i’m talking as if i know so much on the issue,
there's no courage like courage of ignorance :D

Curly041
Associate

Masonry

Post by Curly041 »

Since this is my first post i ll keep it short. I have been a Mason for more than 40 years and I can assure you that the "degree work" fits JC's model of the Hero's Journey point for point. There are streams of esoteric thought from many centuries and places incorporated in the fraternity. BTW, it is a society with secrets..not a secret society as our buildings and persons are very public.
Best!

Michael "Curly" Spaulding

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

I wonder how many secrets have remained secret over the years. I've read my share of "forbidden texts", so I would think it is more like the rituals and practices are secret and not so much the concepts.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Curly041
Associate

Post by Curly041 »

Neoplato wrote:I wonder how many secrets have remained secret over the years. I've read my share of "forbidden texts", so I would think it is more like the rituals and practices are secret and not so much the concepts.

Sure. In fact there is very little that is truly a deep secret other than certiain words and the associated meaning and signs of recognition. Even these can be found in the many books and videos that seek to expose the Fraternity The true secrets are what is found within the individual Mason due to his application of ,and participation in, the philosophy.
The Lodge is many things to many men.
Best!

Michael "Curly" Spaulding

drtoddlandman
Associate

Post by drtoddlandman »

Greetings all. Very pleased to be here.

The process of self transformation in freemasonry is consistent with many of the insights in the Hero's Journey. The different degrees in the craft are based on allegorical lessons and involve self awareness and self development. There are rites, rituals and processes of initiation.

I do not yet know enough about Campbell to see if he had addressed Freemasonry, but as a society with an underlying commitment to faith and learning, organised into degrees seems highly compatible with Campbell's analysis of other systems of belief and organisation.

I would suggest the Rosicrucians are also consistent with his views.

Interesting topic.