Freemasonry

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

v270355
Associate

Freemasonry

Post by v270355 »

I was curious if Joseph Campbell's views or opinions on Freemasonry are documented?

cristiflorin
Associate

Post by cristiflorin »

Hi, can you indicate for me some of his positions on freemasonry, i have no knowledge of such thing in (i have not acces to his work, except some audio recordings and some pdf files).
AUDI.VIDE.TACE.

noman
Associate

Post by noman »

I can't recall Campbell mentioning Freemasonry in any of his books or lectures. I can only imagine what he would have to say about this centuries old fraternity. As a general rule, Campbell would not rank religions, organizations, or belief systems. But he would occasionally point out possitive and negative aspects.

Freemasonry has much to be admired as a quasi-secret society that is not religiously exclusive or rigidly dogmatic though usually maintaining the belief in some sort of 'supreme being' ; a society, furthermore, that maintains a loose doctrine of brotherly love, charity, and a belief the the value of moral philosophy.

If Campbell ever mentioned this organization it might be as the remnants of one of the guilds of craftmen that helped build the magnificent Cathedrals of Europe in the High and Late Middle Ages. But I'm just guessing. We don't have any evidence of Freemasonry until the end of the 16th century (according to Wiki) and I don't recall Campbell ever mentioning this organization.

- NoMan

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Are the freemasons related to the illuminati? I have no clue.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

boringguy
Associate

Post by boringguy »

Hi all,

In POM pages 25-30 Campbell and Moyers are discussing symbols and to some extent in relation to the Eagle Seal on the dollar bill and the pyramid on the Great Seal of the United States, and the U.S. founding fathers use of them:

Moyers: Aren't a lot of these Masonic symbols?

Cambell: They are Masonic signs and the meaning of the Pythagorean tetrakis has been well known for centuries. The information would have been found in Thomas Jefferson's library. These were, after all, learned men. The eighteenth-century Enlghtenment was a world of learned gentlemen. We haven't had men of that quality in politics very much. It's an enormous good fortune for our nation that that cluster of gentlemen had the power and were in a position to influence events at that time.

Moyers: What explains the relationship between these symbols and the Masons, and the fact that so many of these founding fathers belonged to the Masonic order? Is the Masonic order an expression somehow of mythological thinking?

Campbell: Yes I think it is. This is a scholarly attempt to reconstruct an order of initiation that would result in spiritual revelation. These founding fathers who were Masons actually studied what they could of Egyptian lore. In Egypt, the pyramid represents the primodial hillock. After the annual flood of the Nile begins to sink down, the first hillock is symbolic of the reborn world. That's what the seal represents.

This is the only reference to the Masons that I can recall.

bg

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Beat me to it, BG!

Neo, check out the Wiki link for the Illuminati.

(I would direct your attention to mention of Shea's Illuminatus Trilogy, which is a delightful, psychedelic romp of epic proportions.)

THIS also looks to be a decent site. after a quick perusal.

A Google of both terms together provides a fine example of the dangers of the Internet. There's some kooky stuff out there. Have an opinion? The Internet will provide references.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Thanks Clemsy. I have Googled it before and didn't know which to consider (if any) as "truth". Of course this would only be the "truth" that "they" want us to know. :mrgreen:

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

A fair number of the USA's founders were freemasons, and in Power of Myth our two wise men discuss the specific symbols that appear on the dollar bill and the national seal. The symbolism is other-worldly to an extent that reminds me of science fiction. It is about reason, transcendence, the collective consciousness, and enlightenment themes.

Builders are not just about creating structures. They create possibilities and make ideals into a reality that can be used to build ever more expanding ideals.

Optimism seems to be a given in their symbols.
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Optimism seems to be a given in their symbols.
It's nice to see you're back CarmelaBear :wink:

noman
Associate

Post by noman »

There you go bg,

That section of POM was tickling my memory but I couldn’t recall the mention of Freemasonry. It may also be in “The Inner Reaches of Outer Space” as he talks about some of the same symbolism. From what I can find on the Web it looks like about 10 to 25 percent of our early leaders were Freemasons. I’m wondering if it was a scandal to be a Freemason in England during the American Revolution – like being a communist in America during the 1950s.

- NoMan

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

When the collective want something badly, they make it happen. It is the massive power of belief. I, for one, do not believe in members of the House of Representatives in the way I believe in the Senate. I'm not sure why. It seems to suggest a bias on the basis of class, though it's not about innate superiority. It's related to a kind of merit, achievement, and goals realized.

I am especially against those who do not manage somehow to make their presence felt. To remain in the shadows is to be just that, a shadow figure, nothing more.

Freemasons build structures that suggest things beyond what we can see and feel; architecture as symbol and metaphor for that which is beyond concrete and stone.
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Persephonespring
Associate

Post by Persephonespring »

Most of the United States' founding fathers were freemasons, an ancient society which began with stone masons centuries ago. They designed and created the mall in DC.

Dan Brown's new book, The Lost Symbol, gives a very thorough history of the freemasons. Its entertaining and supposedly historically correct.
Might be a drop in a bucket, but, as I like to say, no drops, no ocean. :-) Clemsy

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Neoplato wrote:Are the freemasons related to the illuminati? I have no clue.
Neoplato, I don' know enough about Illuminati to compare Freemasonry and
their philosophy. However, I'm almost certain that there is an effort to unite all of
humanity on common grounds in Freemason literature -that was once limited with a
modern approach to Middle Eastern religions but times are changing fast.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Actually, today I'm suspicious if we haven't been engaged in a constent struggle between the freemasons and illuminati.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

CarmelaBear wrote: Freemasons build structures that suggest things beyond what we can see and feel; architecture as symbol and metaphor for that which is beyond concrete and stone.
Apparently, they were (as they are today) familiar with Ancient Egyptian philosophy
about life (and death) and emphasized the role of architecture in our social evolution.
Besides, Freemasons are known to be practical-minded people, active in politics and business world.