What Bible did Joseph Campbell endorse and make reference to

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

Regarding atheism...

The 1987 LA Times article ("Conversation with Joseph Campbell/On Mythology: Scholar to Attend 'Hero's Journey' Benefit for Hermes Society") includes a story (Pg. 3) where someone asks Campbell whether he is an atheist, and Campbell replies "I don't think you can call a person an atheist who believes in as many gods as I do."

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Myrtle, that's precious.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

"I don't think you can call a person an atheist who believes in as many gods as I do."-Joe
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Chrissurf
Associate

Post by Chrissurf »

wow. good find.
Author of The Traveler's Companion

AmandaonMaui
Associate

Post by AmandaonMaui »

I never saw him as an atheist in his works either. My understanding was more that he was a bit like Socrates. We can't know, I don't know. It's beyond our comprehension, and it doesn't really matter if you believe in a god because the most important thing is being here now.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Amanda, welcome to the JCF Forums.
the most important thing is being here now.
You and I will get along just fine, methinks. 8)

Cheers,
'Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

AmandaonMaui
Associate

Post by AmandaonMaui »

Clemsy wrote:Amanda, welcome to the JCF Forums.
the most important thing is being here now.
You and I will get along just fine, methinks. 8)

Cheers,
'Clemsy
Thank you for the warm welcome! Finding Joseph Campbell's works a few years ago really helped to change my life. I shed a lot of the fear that I had leftover from cutting myself from the Pentecostal church, I could more clearly see my own journey, and I started to lose some of my death fear. I do still have some of that, but it's not because of a fear of hell anymore at least. I'm kind of more in agreement with Joe that we transform into another type of energy (at my basic understanding of what he said), but I am just not ready to leave existing in this form yet. I'm having too much fun!

cadfael
Associate

Post by cadfael »

I have no proof for God. I have no faith in a God. There could be a God. There could be Gods. The source is a mystery. I live my life as if there is no God, or Gods. Sartre pointed out that even if we had an experience of the divine it could be a result of mental illness or some other type of illness. Therefore, we can never know for certain. All we have is a personified mystery. I am an Agnostic.

Cadfael