All people who take a job for money are slaves

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Wozrep
Associate

All people who take a job for money are slaves

Post by Wozrep »

I took a job purely for Money about a year ago. In the last month or so (right around the time I was introduced to JC) Ive become increasingly agitated by my job. Im questioning my job on mamy different levels as well as questioning the entire field Im in.

Im at a point now, where I am very unhappy at work. I wake up every morning dreading the day. Its taking everything in my power not to just quit. I fear being irresponsible.

I want to live a creative life (my job now is the antithesis of creative). I'm scared of stepping into the Dark Forest. I feel its irresponsible to step into the unknown without some sort alternative income stream coming in.

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Hi Wozrep
your post I think touches on some interesting questions:
1) do our jobs define who we are? At the age of thirteen I wanted to be a chemist. Forty five years later and here I am still a chemist (though with an ever increasing admin burden). This is part has been my bliss. (another thread).
2) would I be a chemist without the salary? I don't think so. So am I doing it for the money?
3) would I do it if I did not enjoy it? Again I don't think so.
4) would cleaning urinals be a 'hateful" job, I sometimes wonder how I would react if I found myself in this occupation? Would I be able to apply a Buddhist perspective to this and be in the moment and bypass the suffering my mind would create?

The first question comes from being a parent of a special needs child. And the discussions with my wife on what occupation our son would have. Our job does (wisely or not ) define who we are, our self worth in our own eyes and those of others. At least to some degree.

rom
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

dad taught me going into debt is what makes you a slave. you HAVE to get that check, make that payment, gotta take that crap cause you gotta keep that job, to make that check to make that payment. I feel fortunate God taught me to rely on Him one hard time by taking everything away from me so I had no other choice. Not to brag, but : no job, no car, no money, no food, an invalid and child to feed. I was hard-headed so it took a long, long, long, llong time, probably about a year, before I finally quit being afraid and realized I was still alive. All I had to do was make it through the day and we always did. It made me able to not be too concerned about that sort of thing too much any more.

I think you might need to put yourself in God's hands for that to really work. Following Your Bliss or whatever you want to call it , because learning that lesson was far from my definition of a happy time.
Are you really ready to let go of everything and follow inly that call? How do you know you've got tbe. right "voice" and it's not just you?

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

sorry, posting from a phone

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

But thats one of my concerns, discerning my own inclinations : "does God really want me to take the sunday school money to Six Flags or is that just me?"

And there's not a darn thing wrong with money! It's got a lot going for it. I'm working for money right now to fill. the time and buy some fence post. It's prett nice and useful to have. It's like barter material though. You trade and sell your. time (life) for something to trade other people to get a fence done. It's worth spending time in an air conditioned store to make money to save cutting wood fence by hand in 110 degree heat. Some people can trade their artwork for money, or a carborator for a couple T-posts. barter and trade :)

Also! Be careful what you wish for, yada yada yada. I asked for the wisdom and strength my mother and grandmother had.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

When money becomes the purpose of our lives, that is wrong.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Andreas wrote:When money becomes the purpose of our lives, that is wrong.
What about when purpose leaves our lives, and all there is left is to pay the bills?
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

Neoplato wrote:
Andreas wrote:When money becomes the purpose of our lives, that is wrong.
What about when purpose leaves our lives, and all there is left is to pay the bills?

"...gotta make that check, gotta pay those bills, gotta keep that job..." :)

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Not quite so in my case. I'm more driven by "responsibility" then "needs and wants" these days. Responsible people go to work and put up with the nonsense. :( Irresponsible people run off to the mountains never to be heard from again. :D

But if I were irresponsible, I know I'd be filled with guilt. :cry:

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

You know when people work to support their family or whatever else they are working for, that is noble. Money becoming the purpose of our lives is not.. Can't get any more simpler than that.

And Neo, in the mountains you still have to work and hunt and build a shelter, etc. :)

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

And Neo, in the mountains you still have to work and hunt and build a shelter, etc.-Andreas
But at least that's "honest" work. :D

Not "I don't like the method you used to calculate this, find another method to make the numbers look better." :x

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

Neoplato wrote:Not quite so in my case. I'm more driven by "responsibility" then "needs and wants" these days. Responsible people go to work and put up with the nonsense. :( Irresponsible people run off to the mountains never to be heard from again. :D

But if I were irresponsible, I know I'd be filled with guilt. :cry:
why do you have to work at something you have to put up with?

I like the mountains :) "responsibility" What if you had no "responsibility" Then what? :) "what if..."

What if you were just starting out from scratch again. You dont need anything , you dont have anything (to lose), nothing holding you anywhere to anything. would it be easier ?

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

What if you had no "responsibility" Then what?-Creekmary
Then it would be more like this...
Lord, I was born a ramblin' man
Trying to make a living and doing the best I can
When it's time for leaving, I hope you'll understand
That I was born a rambling man

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

:lol: It looks like the instinct is there, "responsibility" just covered it up.

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

got another "what if" question :)

not to pick on you as an example, but kind of, kind of using me too :)

but what if
you decide you want to follow that call, and you ask God/bliss to help you heed that call and remove any hinderence. And you say..."I sure wish I could answer today! But that report is due friday..." And you lose the job that causes that hinderence. "I have to pay these bills!" And you lose that house and car and go bankrupt and have no bills. "I have to take care of my family!" So the spouse takes the kids and walks. Finally "I cant answer! I have to..........well....there is nothing left to wait on." And what hinders you is gone. Is that a blessing in the end? :)