Searching Joseph Campbell Quotes gadget for iGoogle Homepage

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Peggy Lami
Associate

Searching Joseph Campbell Quotes gadget for iGoogle Homepage

Post by Peggy Lami »

Joseph Campbell quotes are on my homepage. Is there a way to see a particular one? I am looking for, paraphrasing, "Those who think they know do not know, those who think they do not know, they know."

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Campbell quotes one of the Indian religious texts in the Power of Myth
I can't give you the page number - I have lent out my copy.
  1. To know is not to know. And not to know is to know.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Peggy Lami
Associate

Post by Peggy Lami »

Thanks, Romansh.

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

Hi Peggy and Romansh,

Here are quotes from The Power of Myth and Occidental Mythology. Page numbers may vary in different editions.

The Power of Myth (Pg. 55)
Campbell: That is the point. The person who thinks he has found the ultimate truth is wrong. There is an often-quoted verse in Sanskrit, which appears in the Chinese Tao-te Ching as well: "He who thinks he knows, doesn't know. He who knows that he doesn't know, knows. For in this context, to know is not to know. And not to know is to know."
The Masks of God/Occidental Mythology (Pg. 3)
Prayers and chants, images, temples, gods, sages, definitions, and cosmologies are but ferries to a shore of experience beyond the categories of thought, to be abandoned on arrival; for, as the Indian Kena Upanishad states: "to know is not to know, not to know is to know";1 and the Chinese Tao Te Ching: "Those who know are still."2 - J. Campbell

Note 1 - Kena Upanisad 2.3
Note 2 - Tao Te Ching 56
Also, this is a link to a translation of the Kena Upanishad:
http://www.bharatadesam.com/spiritual/u ... nishad.php

And a link to the Tao Te Ching:
http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9 ... te-v3.html

Myrtle

Peggy Lami
Associate

Post by Peggy Lami »

Thanks, Myrtle. I am working on a project and wanted to get the quote right. JCF Conversations did the trick.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Myrtle, it's wonderful to hear your voice once more.

Those are among the most memorable quotes in the Campbell works, and the references are impressive. Thank you for your help with this.

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Peggy, welcome to the Conversations!

:D

Peggy Lami
Associate

Post by Peggy Lami »

Thanks, Carmela. I used the quote (attributed) in a poem for a memorial service. It was well-received. I am ingesting Joseph Campbell and catching the rhythmns and meaning of what I am reading. I have CDs, books, and the library and internet for resources. It is quite a journey. Good to be here. Now.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I've been immersing myself in everything Campbell for years. What makes it especially interesting and challenging is that he dismisses politicians as "greedy", and I have wanted to be an elected official for most of my life (I'm 63 now, and not in public service, unless you count my 15 years as a lawyer).

"Follow Your Bliss" is my favorite of his quotes, and compassion was one of (if not THE) highest of his ideals. I have wanted to literally help save the planet as a fit habitat for a happy, healthy human species for most of my life. I don't see public service as providing much personal gain. I see it as difficult, stressful, risky, expensive and thankless........just like nearly everything I've ever done, ever in my whole life.

My center of happiness or bliss comes from the belief that I am doing something good and doing it well. I believe in my abilities, (which are somewhat impressive), in my principles, (which are remarkably solid in spite of my personal weaknesses), and in my relationships (which are based on genuine mutual affection and high regard).

Campbell made sense out of a world of confusion and insecurity. I benefit daily from going back and back to his work with the devotion of a true admirer of a great teacher.

Wishing you all the best in your own personal quest.

~

Peggy Lami
Associate

Post by Peggy Lami »

Thanks for the Bon Voyage, Carmela. After years and years of doing, doing, doing my work lately is being, being, being.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

8)