What separates man from the rest of the animal kingdom?

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Food animals may be ill-treated, and that is a painful thought, but not uncomfortable enough to make of me a vegan or vegetarian.

I prefer fish and fowl, but do enjoy the infrequent taste of red meat (burger, bacon, sausage,.....). My favorite meal is grilled salmon with steamed asparagus.

We would surely all be healthier if we were vegan, and I am open to such a practice in the future. Still, I am not prepared to make that change right now.

~

Fishy Phil
Associate

Post by Fishy Phil »

I'm the same way. I've tried going Vego for a bit but I always give in. It may sound silly but before I eat meat now I always say "thank you" for giving its life so I can have some delicious ribs. It helps me be a bit more conscious of the flow of life (although I don't know how philosophical I would be if I was being eaten by a crocodile). One day I'll become soil nutrients myself. We are all made of star dust and will become it again. Nothing is permanent.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

And yet, the moment is eternal. Now is the impossible dream. We are living in time, and in our experience, it appears to have no bounds.

I'm putting my money on infinite sentience. We are the star dust that feels love to the marrow of our bones, and in that feeling, we live outside of time, where there is never really anything we can call "nothing". It's all good.

~

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

'We are the star dust that feels love to the marrow of our bones, and in that feeling, we live outside of time, where there is never really anything we can call "nothing". It's all good'
Lovely words!
But then we have to realize is that nothing is also good.
Non-violence ... requires greater heroism than of brave soldiers ... The world does not accept today the idea of loving the enemy. Even in Christian Europe the principle of non-violence is ridiculed ... Christians do not understand the message of Jesus. It is necessary to deliver it over again in the way we can understand ...

- Gandhi - speech -1925

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Yeah it is, Captain. Nice to hear your voice.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

zoe
Associate

Post by zoe »

What separates mankind from the rest of the animal kingdom?
Our imagination.
Our minds.
Agreed our minds allow us to imagine we are different so it is...........................
Nothing

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

We are the beasts.

8)

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

!

😈
Non-violence ... requires greater heroism than of brave soldiers ... The world does not accept today the idea of loving the enemy. Even in Christian Europe the principle of non-violence is ridiculed ... Christians do not understand the message of Jesus. It is necessary to deliver it over again in the way we can understand ...

- Gandhi - speech -1925

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

Nothing but ego in thinking man is separate from the animal kingdom...

Susan

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

8)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Phil wrote"
Nothing is permanent.
I know what you mean by this, but when I read it I had a nerd attack. I thought it would be fun to share some numbers about permanence.

The atoms that make up our bodies are stardust and so they are about 5 billion, 5,000,000,000 years old, maybe older.

The protons in those atoms are not stardust. The came into existence right after the big bang, a little under 14 billion years ago. To put it another way, half of you has been around since the beginning of time.

Physicists have been trying (hard) to determine how long protons will last, but they haven't found any evidence of decay. The current number is a lower limit of 10 to the 34 years, but it could be much longer.

To put this in perspective, the last star is predicted to burn out before
10,000,000,000,000 years

However the lower limit for the half life of a proton is
10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

When I think that half of me is over 13 billion years old, then I know why I am so tired.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

"....but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die."

I think that is one of the biggest differences with our animal brothers, that we humans are aware of our own mortality and this simple realization changes everything.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Clemsy wrote:A few genes here and there.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/va ... 11128.html
Interesting article. It says humans may be more closely related to both chimps and bonobos than either of those species are to each other.

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I wonder if apes show signs of understanding their own mortality, because they most certainly experience and express clear signs of interpersonal emotional attachment and profound grief over the loss of another with whom they have formed a strong bond.

~