Startup Founders and the Hero's Journey

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

RichR
Associate

Startup Founders and the Hero's Journey

Post by RichR »

I recently wrote this piece on LinkedIn relating the startup Founder's path to the Hero's joureny.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/founders ... =prof-post

"We crave a successful founder. The founder’s journey, especially that of the first timer, is the same quest: a significant accomplishment, worship of the founders, and founders stories told and retold. It is the American dream."

I'd love some feedback and discussion.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I followed your link, above, Rich, and enjoyed reading your post at LinkedIn.

It makes sense, and you did an excellent job of relating the steps in Campbell's hero journey.

Being a neophyte entrepreneur is a heroic endeavor, and the successful founder's role does follow the path we associate with the highest order of hero, the ones who bring the greatest boons to society.

Campbell was not a businessman, and in Power of Myth, he was openly critical of the over-conformity represented by the Sinclair Lewis character called "Babbitt". Founders are it be oposite of the mindless, unquestioning follower. They startup something original, and through success, they bring a boon to others and exit their journey through the portal of personal freedom.

It is classic Campbell....brilliant. Congratulations for completing such a task.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Luciana Aires Mesquita

Post by Luciana Aires Mesquita »

Dear Rich,

I've just read your post. Great map! Congratulations!

We, in Brasilia-DF/Brazil, are starting a JCF MRT group. It would be wonderful if we have your permission to translate it to Portuguese language.

Let us know!

Blissings,
Luciana.
Luciana Aires Mesquita
Mytholudens - where the goddess and gods play!
mitoludens@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/mitoludens
+55 61 81334317

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Welcome to the Conversations, Luciana.

CarmelaBear
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

entregreeneur
Associate

Post by entregreeneur »

Hi Rich, I read your LinkedIn post.

I might have a crack at researching Elon Musk's career path, and seeing if I can plot it against the stages of the journey you described. I'm fascinated by how much he has achieved in his life and I'm curious what can be learned from analysing his founder's journeys plotted against Campbells Hero's Journey stages.