Glitches and Gremlins

Looking to start a RoundTable in your area? Hosting a mythological event in your area? Have a suggestion how to enhance the forum conversations?

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Glitches and Gremlins

Post by Clemsy »

Dear Associates,

While things have been running quite smoothly since the host change, both Bodhi and myself have recently experienced brief site access glitches, notably, the terrible
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
message. Please drop a post here if you have experienced this, or any other problems we should know about.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I consulted the Memberlist and came across "Carmela". I think it might be a previous incarnation of CarmelaBear. I clicked on it and found nothing.

Is there any chance that I could get a peek at this set of posts to find out if it is in fact an older set of my very own posts?

~

On another subject, I know I'm slow about starting a roundtable in Albuquerque, but I am still quite serious about giving it a try. Am I allowed to use a likeness of Professor Joe in an ad? Can I use a graphic from one of his books or DVD's or tapes. I'd like to start out by showing "Sukavati", and the graphic would help with the ad.

Thanks,

Carmela
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

Carmela,

I was wondering, at first, if our latest forum pruning may have caused the issue with your older profile. The changes our web-developers made should not have affected posts at all though. No posts have been deleted. The username Carmela with 181 posts (that seem to have disappeared) existed already before our forum upgrade. When you changed your username (and I'm pretty sure that it's an older profile of yours), the post count number was left with your old name, while the actual posts carried over.

You're certainly allowed to use all material the JCF owns a copyright for in your Mythological RoundTable group. Personally I see no reason against using a brief Campbell quotation or image in an ad, as far as the Mythological RoundTable is advertized, but I will check that to be on the safe side.
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke

bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss »

Hey Carmela,

Martin is correct (as usual); using JCF copyright material in a RoundTable meeting is alright.

I'd also suggest contacting Tim Hallford in Santa Fe ( timothy.hallford@gmail.com ) - they have a very active RoundTable just up the road from you , and it's a cool group of people. Sitting in on one of their monthly meetings might give you some ideas (definitely worth picking co-founders Tim's & Dan's brains); what's more, I think one or two members drive up from Albuquerque when they can, so you might be able to get a little help from them in planning your own meeting

(it's always a little scary when I do something new and am not sure what to expect - but knowing there are folks the next town over who are cheering for you might help - and you could maybe get Dan or Tim to present at one of your meetings ... and maybe you might want to collaborate on some sort of regional project once you get established).

Food for thought ...

bodhi

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Martin_Weyers wrote:No posts have been deleted. The username Carmela with 181 posts (that seem to have disappeared) existed already before our forum upgrade. When you changed your username (and I'm pretty sure that it's an older profile of yours), the post count number was left with your old name, while the actual posts carried over.
I agree that the "Carmela" username is probably mine, but I vaguely remember joining in two completely different periods of time, one much earlier than the other. Though there was a name change, it was not from "Carmela" to "CarmelaBear". It was from "CaveBear" to "CarmelaBear".

In addition, my e-mail address had to be a different one back then. After my first membership, I probably dropped out for some time, forgetting my original username and the details associated with it. The two sets of posts may actually have been kept entirely separate, not only here, but in my own mind as well.

Isn't this site engaged in a bit of "housecleaning"? Could this be an example of one of the older posts that may have been archived? It would appear that we've lost original dates from the change date onward, and I wonder if we've also lost some old posts.

I can't imagine that I would have gone to all the trouble of deleting all my original posts.......especially since I must have forgotten my first try, anyway. My memory of this is weak at best. It was the early nineties when I first stumbled across the PBS series with Moyers, and I did not try the internet until five or six years later, around 1998 or so. I'm sorry to ramble on like this. You see my dilemma.

A certain degree of concern comes from a foggy old writer's sense of mortality. One of my critics suggested that whatever I may write online is "dissipated", as if it were going to be automatically forgotten in the enormous netherworld of the internet. I've never had that sense with the JCF site. I like to hope that my musings here, however off the cuff, are capable of rising to a level that retains a capacity to influence others, part of a flow of creativity. I imagine that there are those who notice and appreciate. This means a great deal to me.

Martin_Weyers wrote:You're certainly allowed to use all material the JCF owns a copyright for in your Mythological RoundTable group. Personally I see no reason against using a brief Campbell quotation or image in an ad, as far as the Mythological RoundTable is advertized, but I will check that to be on the safe side.
Here's hoping that someone has access to lawyers on the matter of copyright. I don't want to overstep my permission.

Thank you for your help. I will be looking into specific arrangements in the next few days.
bhodhibliss wrote:I'd also suggest contacting Tim Hallford in Santa Fe ( timothy.hallford@gmail.com ) - you might be able to get a little help from them in planning your own meeting

... and maybe you might want to collaborate on some sort of regional project once you get established.

I'm going to try the e-mail. It's quite an exciting prospect and gives me a lot to look forward to.

Again, thanks and thanks.

Carmela

Mark O.
Working Associate

The new site

Post by Mark O. »

Surprise!

Please give us the good, bad, and the ugly - what are your impressions of the new site? How's the layout, navigability, colors, organization, etc?

Your feedback is vital...

Thanks,

Mark

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Mark, etc.,

Congratulations on the new site. It's wonderful.

One small thing. Hope it's more helpful than irritating.

The quotes appear to have a darker background, now. I have a harder time reading the text inside the quotation boxes.

Carmela

Vissi
Associate
Location: Symbol City, Deep In the Heart of the Sonoran Desert

Post by Vissi »

Hola all,

Just attempted to send Mark O. a PM and received the, "You cannot make another post so soon," message.

Thanks for any assistance,
Dixie

Mark O.
Working Associate

Post by Mark O. »

Hi Vissi,

I'm looking into it... in the meantime, you can email me at moppenneer 'at' gmail 'dot' com.

Mark

Vissi
Associate
Location: Symbol City, Deep In the Heart of the Sonoran Desert

Post by Vissi »

Thanks, Mark, for your assistance and for all your incredible work on the site! Beautiful job and makeover. I'll send the email right along.

Help set 350, Peace Now,
Dixie

jlFromLannion
Working Associate

Internal links [SOLVED]

Post by jlFromLannion »

hello,
thanks for this beautiful site.

The following issue has been solved. Thanks!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question concerning the internal links.
Now that the path to the forum is jcf.org/new/forum, and not jcf.org/new/forum, internal links are dead.
Do you intend, when all work is done, to go back to the old path (and if so re-writing the urls is useless) or should we re-write the internal links now ?
Last edited by jlFromLannion on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Good question! I tried to edit the links by simply adding the 'new' in the proper spot in the address bar and was rewarded with a screen that charged "Hacking attempt!"

I'm assuming the new site's urls are more than just the addition of 'new.'

Mark, is there any way to edit the internal links so they point in the right direction?

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Is the first page supposed to be all black with the "skip" thing at the bottom? or am I missing something?

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

Hello Carmela, on the first page a flash animation should be displayed. It's a bit long and slow-loading, even with a fast internet connection; With a slow connection or missing plugin it's possible that you just see a black page. Admittedly there's room for improvement ...
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Follow up: The internal link glitch is being investigated. We'll let you know of any results.