The Anatomy of a Choice: An Actor's Guide to Text Analysis

Looking to start a RoundTable in your area? Hosting a mythological event in your area? Have a suggestion how to enhance the forum conversations?

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

The Anatomy of a Choice: An Actor's Guide to Text Analysis

Post by David_Kudler »

Though most of the work that I do is for the JCF, I do take on other editing projects, and I thought I would share the most recent one with you.

I served as the developmental editor on Maura Vaughn's The Anatomy of a Choice: An Actor's Guide to Text Analysis (University Press of America, 2010). It's a wonderful, concise guide that lays out a practical process for the actor to break down any script and mine it for the acting gold that lies therein (like the treasure buried in a dragon's cave).

For any of our Associates who are involved in film or in the theater (or are interested in film or theater), I highly recommend it!

(Oh, and by the way, yes, this Maura Vaughn is the same Maura Vaughn who introduces all of the Collected Lectures of Joseph Campbell recordings, and is also the same Maura Vaughn who happens to be my wife of twenty years!)
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus »

David, I wanted to thank you for recommending, The Anatomy of a Choice. I am using the book as a text for my exploration of the role of Pozzi in Becket's, Waiting for Godot in a production slated for a Dec. curtain. I have used many of these same techniques in my own explorations based upon my extensive semi-pro theatre experience and my readings and classes based upon the "Stanislavski Metheod", but the concise and complete way the book is constructed makes it a wonderful tool for a serious actor. I have recommended the book to several of my associates.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

Dionysus wrote:David, I wanted to thank you for recommending, The Anatomy of a Choice. I am using the book as a text for my exploration of the role of Pozzi in Becket's, Waiting for Godot in a production slated for a Dec. curtain. I have used many of these same techniques in my own explorations based upon my extensive semi-pro theatre experience and my readings and classes based upon the "Stanislavski Metheod", but the concise and complete way the book is constructed makes it a wonderful tool for a serious actor. I have recommended the book to several of my associates.
Thanks so much! I've passed your comments along to Maura; she'll be very, very pleased to hear that her book has been of use--and in preparing for such a play! Godot is one of her favorite plays (though obviously not one she's ever had a chance to perform in).

In any case, do let us know how the show goes, and do feel free to post over at the anatomyofachoice.com forums if you (or any of your friends) have any thoughts, suggestions or questions.

It's too early to wish you to break a leg, but enjoy the hell out of the rehearsal process!
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus »

David, Thanks so much. -- Bruce.

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus »

David, We have one week more of the run of GODOT and this rehearsal process has been even crazier than most I have participated in (I've been in about 150 productions and directed about 30), but I must say that The Anatomy of Choice has been a marvelous anchor for me and for the others in this production who have relied upon me as a focus (I'm playing Pozzo). I was VERY prepared from the beginning of the rehersal process and was gratified that the results of my analysis were reinforced throughout the process. Much of the text reflects my understanding of the Stanislavski system, but it was great to revisit this material and the format for the book was very helpful. I have been asked to direct two plays - one short piece later this year and a full-length Aykbourne play for Joan Ackermann's theatre Mixed Company in Great Barrington, MA, slated for early 2011. This text will also be quite useful as I tear these pieces apart and analyze them for these productions. Thank you and thank Maura for me. Peace. Dionysus.

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus »

David, I wanted you to know that I used The Anatomy of a Choice as a main reference work for a play which I directed and which just finished its run, Aykbourne's Taking Steps at mixed Company in Great Barrington, MA. The critic for the local paper (for what it's worth), who is known locally as a very tough nut to crack, raved about the production. Every actor received positive reviews. We sold out the last two weeks of our run. I feel that I owe the success of this production largely to that text. Thanks!!