Google Book Search

Looking to start a RoundTable in your area? Hosting a mythological event in your area? Have a suggestion how to enhance the forum conversations?

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

scroll2b
Associate

Google Book Search

Post by scroll2b »

Hi, sorry if this is not the right section... but I recently found that Google has limited the text viewable in all of Campbell's books. Is this per the foundation? If so, I think it's a sad hindrance. I don't otherwise think I would've learned so much. And it's not like there's a master index of Campbell's work...

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

I'll forward the query, scroll2b. In the meantime, this does belong in the Village Compound, so I'll move it over there.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Re: Google Book Search

Post by David_Kudler »

scroll2b wrote:Hi, sorry if this is not the right section... but I recently found that Google has limited the text viewable in all of Campbell's books. Is this per the foundation? If so, I think it's a sad hindrance. I don't otherwise think I would've learned so much. And it's not like there's a master index of Campbell's work...
Actually, you'll find that most non-public-domain books are either no longer available with a preview or are available in "snippets" only. This wasn't a directive from us—nor, I believe, from the publishers with whom we work; it had to do with the on-going struggles by Google to continue to post text they don't have copyright to. Do a search (on Google, naturally) for "Google Book Settlement" to get the full, incredibly convoluted history.

I use Google Books to verify quotes all of the time; it's an irreplaceable resource. If you're looking for short chunks of text, it continues to be incredibly useful.

If you honestly don't feel as if you can afford to buy the books, which we certainly understand, I will encourage you to check out your public library. All of Campbell's print, audio and video work should be fully available to you at no cost.
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Thanks David!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

scroll2b
Associate

Post by scroll2b »

I actually have all of the books that are associated with Campbell, except maybe the Eranos books. Still, I use google book search when I come across words like katabasis... (Curiously, he's never used it.) And to have them scanned myself would cost a fortune.

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

If you are looking for a reference, Campbell used the similar word Kathodos, and its opposite Anodos, in several books.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Someone said Eranos? To my knowledge, only two yearbooks are available on the web. For all others, strongly suggest nearest big library.