New Platform Pending!

Looking to start a RoundTable in your area? Hosting a mythological event in your area? Have a suggestion how to enhance the forum conversations?

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Nermin this sounds like a very interesing and productive idea. Much success. :idea:
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

JamesN. wrote:Nermin this sounds like a very interesing and productive idea. Much success. :idea:
James,

I felt that you don't like much of my posts and you don't have to.
Yet, you're a friend and you started your topics with no prejudice and shared all that
you've got very generously.

Occasionally, I'm getting too much political or making controversial statements and
many people find it disturbing; I'm aware of this but this is my understanding of free
speech and open-mindedness.

I want to thank you because I had answers when talking to you and this, I think is
far more important than having harmonious dialog in this very problematic world.

Nermin
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Perhaps this will help down the road, folks, general posting guidelines for this particular board: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 1651#81651

Cindy :)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Thanks for the tolerance, everybody :)
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

CarmelaBear
Associate

Re: New Platform Pending!

Post by CarmelaBear »

Clemsy wrote: When the new forum opens, this one will remain as a read-only archive to draw from and maintain existing conversations, especially given the rather active nature of the forums at the moment!

We realize that many of you have put your hearts and souls into many of your posts here and it is our intention to make sure that work is not lost. Ever. But the task is complex, given how old this site is.
Does "read-only" mean that we could not cut and paste our posts?

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Clemsy,

Right now, we cannot post images from our own computers, except through internet platforms. Will that change in the new website?

Oh, and Thank You to all those who make this possible. You are transformative leaders in the world, and you inspire a host of gloriously wonderful, grateful emotions.

I trust you to do a great job with the new platform.

CB

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

CarmelaBear wrote:
Clemsy wrote: When the new forum opens, this one will remain as a read-only archive to draw from and maintain existing conversations, especially given the rather active nature of the forums at the moment!

We realize that many of you have put your hearts and souls into many of your posts here and it is our intention to make sure that work is not lost. Ever. But the task is complex, given how old this site is.
Does "read-only" mean that we could not cut and paste our posts?

~
Nope. You will be able to cut and paste.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

CarmelaBear wrote:Clemsy,

Right now, we cannot post images from our own computers, except through internet platforms. Will that change in the new website?

Oh, and Thank You to all those who make this possible. You are transformative leaders in the world, and you inspire a host of gloriously wonderful, grateful emotions.

I trust you to do a great job with the new platform.

CB
Good question! (So obviously I don't know the answer. :-) Hope so! I'll let you know when I do.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Clem--------When the new forum opens, this one will remain as a read-only archive to draw from and maintain existing conversations....

Carm-------Does "read-only" mean that we could not cut and paste our posts?

Clem--------Nope. You will be able to cut and paste.

Carm------- 8)

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I want a special app for my ereader - let's have this conversation in BLACK AND WHITE - as a tribute to duality - :lol:

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

A long time in the works!

Request for Proposal
JCF has a big favor to ask of our Associates. We would appreciate your help in distributing the "Request for Proposals" for our new website.

The Joseph Campbell Foundation (JCF) was incorporated in 1990, the same year that Tim Berners-Lee and Robert Cailliau proposed using hypertext "to link and access information of various kinds as a web of nodes in which the user can browse at will" (the idea that gave birth to the World Wide Web). This proved a serendipitous synchronicity. From the outset, JCF's Board agreed that limited Foundation resources would not be squandered on a building program.

And so JCF took shape in cyberspace.

Our guiding mythological image has always been Indra's Net: in Joseph Campbell's words, "the analogy suggested is of a net of gems: the universe as a great spread-out net with at every joint a gem, and each gem not only reflecting all the others but itself reflected in all."

We convey this sense by describing JCF as "A network of information …a community of individuals."

Everything the Foundation does reflects this Net of Gems—including increasing availability and accessibility to Campbell's work, creating a network of local Mythological RoundTable® groups around the globe, gathering and sharing a storehouse of mythological resources, sponsoring multiple programs and workshops, providing information about groups and individuals active in the field of mythology, promoting cross-cultural understanding and collaboration, and encouraging the creative imagination.

In essence, the Foundation is a clearinghouse for all things mythological. And our web platform at www.JCF.org provides the infrastructure that supports this Net of Gems. Without a working website, there is no Foundation.

In this age of accelerated technological innovation, what worked yesterday is woefully inadequate tomorrow. Hence, we have upgraded the JCF website several times over the last two decades (longtime Associates may recall these earlier iterations of JCF.org, which you can find here and here).

It has been almost seven years since our last site upgrade. While JCF's current platform was a vast improvement over what we had in 2007, this website is nearing the end of its natural life. At best, it's grown clunky and awkward to use and is increasingly difficult to maintain. No month passes without some function breaking down (triggering waves of emails from Associates and other users). More and more of our limited time and resources are spent patching what's broken, which only staves off the inevitable.

And then a number of significant and exciting JCF projects remain on hold because they simply cannot be supported by the current infrastructure.

All of that can be addressed with a site upgrade.

However, that process is neither simple nor cheap. Over the past three years a handful of individuals and two different companies have stepped forward and volunteered to help build the new platform, but none of these efforts have yielded results. (JCF is grateful for the good intentions and help we did receive; however, given the complexity of our site, the time commitment, and the heavy lifting involved, we recognize the difficulty of completing this project with volunteer effort alone).

So JCF has created a Request for Proposals (RFP) and is seeking bids from professional web developers. We are turning first to JCF Associates; if you have the necessary experience, skill set, and professional resources, please review the RFP here. Associates who don't build websites but know a web developer who would be interested are invited to pass along the link to our RFP.

Please submit bids, along with references and curriculum vitae, to jcf-platform@jcf.org by May 6, 2014.

Please be patient. Depending on the response, it will take a little time to sift through and reply to what we receive. Once a bid is accepted, the next step will be a brief, targeted fundraising campaign. (It is much easier to approach individuals and organizations if we can announce a specific goal and detail how funds will be spent—the less vague, the better). The timeline and benchmarks will be worked out with the successful candidate, but for planning purposes it would help to expect work to begin before summer's end.

Joseph Campbell Foundation relies on donations to help fulfill its mission of perpetuating Campbell's ground-breaking work. Joseph Campbell Foundation is a US registered 501c(3) not-for-profit corporation (Federal Tax I.D. #99-0285097); contributions should be fully tax-deductible. Please consult your tax professional regarding deductibility.

Tax-deductible donations can be made online by clicking here, or by sending a check to:

Joseph Campbell Foundation
P.O. Box 36
San Anselmo, CA 94979-0036

Thank you for your support![/i]

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Yea! :D

And an online research site would be awesome! Definitely worth any subscription fee. 8)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Has JCF posted the RFP at elance.com? There are lots of web developers listed there.

~

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

We're giving our associates first crack at it, Carmela. But I'll mention your suggestion if no one bites! Thanks!

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Excellent, Clemsy.

The proposed platform is a wonderful development. Glad the newsletter gave us some details, too, because it has been such a challenge.

Everyone works so hard, and most of the effort is behind the scenes.

As a beneficiary of this website and the resources here, I really do appreciate what all of the working associates do for us.

:!: