Wiki for global Mythology Body of Knowledge

Looking to start a RoundTable in your area? Hosting a mythological event in your area? Have a suggestion how to enhance the forum conversations?

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

svrahul
Associate

Wiki for global Mythology Body of Knowledge

Post by svrahul »

Hello Friends,

During my 2012 summer vacation I traveled in India visiting ancient temples and other constructions that provide wealth of Mythological references. I have been cleaning my photographs and trying to extract relavent pictures from Indian mythology and store them in a structured pattern. During this exercise, I realized the necessity of a global reference site like Wikipedia with crowd sourced collections of mythological iconography, iconology and interpretations of metaphors. Such collection can help us to identify the monads of metaphors across global cultures. Who can be better vanguards of such common global knowledge pool - other than JCF?

Hence, I am posting this message to support any such already existing initiatives by the foundation or to initiate discussions to define the information structure (taxonomy of mythology, etc ..) and collaborative infrastructure to make it a reality. I hope you find this posting sensible.

Looking forward to active participation in any initiative in this direction.

Thank You

Rahul V Suryadevara

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hi, Rahul, and welcome!

Clemsy, the administrator of the board, is still away given the recent Symposium, and he's the one to help you here. I'll make sure that he sees your post soon once he's back. I'm just not sure yet when that might be, but it won't be too long. And best of luck with this project. :)

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi Rahul and welcome indeed!

Interesting post! If you don't mind, would you further clarify how you think the JCF can be of assistance, or how your work may assist us? I'd like to make sure I I'm clear about your desire in order for me to be sure who to send it to.

But I am intrigued!

looking forward to your response!

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

svrahul
Associate

Post by svrahul »

Hello Clemsy and Cindy,

Thank you for your kind greetings. To answer Clemsy's questions:

1. how you think the JCF can be of assistance?

I believe JCF has (or will evolve to ) be the single largest interest group in the world with common interest in Mythology and its interpretation to our social life. Mr. Campbell made very distinct effort to cover global mythology of the world and tried to tell us the importance of common metaphors across many cultures to tell us we are all one family of humans.

Mythological Icons are abundant in folk and ancient art of various cultures. Infomration about these Icons (photographs, associated local mythology etc.) need to be collected at a common place and need to be investigated to develop common patterns (monads) of metaphors that will help our future generations. In a sense JCF is right forum to collect, store and demystify these mythological legacy of the world in a rational way to our future generations who will live in the world of ever diminishing cultural differences.

In a simple operational sense I am envisaging that JCF will maintain a wiki site that helps the enthusiasts to store their findings (pictures), provide the initial understanding of mythological references and interpretations. Various expert groups in JCF will then help to moderate the discussions/collaboration to rationalize and to provide diverse interpretations - Just like wikipedia today. Over a period of time, this site will become a reference site for any mythological information for generations to come.

2. how your work may assist us?

The undertaking I am talking above is not a simple one and can not be completed by single person. I see the need for standardizing the information structure for such collective knowledge. A data format structure that needs to be defined with the help of groups of veteran enthusiasts. May be an universal Mythological information storage format? (similar to HL7 in medical information system). I would like to participate and contribute to develop this information structure. I am also willing to do anything more that needs to be done and I am capable of doing.

I hope i am not confusing the point and instead providing my intent clearly to answer your question.

Thank You.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Not at all! I will share this with my colleagues and see what they think.

Thanks for bringing this to us, though. Part of our mission is not to only preserve and promote the work of Joseph Campbell, but also to promote the importance of the field of myth in general.

Cheers,
Michael
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Svrahul and Clemsy;

This seems like a wonderful suggestion for direction of inquiry with tremendous beneficial potential if there are no conflicts. Could help alot of folks to get a clearer understanding of so much; plus alieviate alot of the misunderstanding that exists in these areas. If participants here had a avenue of access to this sort of interactive database available through JCF that alone would be worth alot to consider. Cross-pollenation of such a facilator to JCF and other sites " of like mind " could be invaluable; ( if feasible under whatever constraints that might exist ).

( If I am understanding the premise here. )
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

svrahul
Associate

Post by svrahul »

Hello James,

Thank you for your prudent comments. Your reply reflects your correct understanding of my intent.

Rahul.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hello Rahul and welcome here.

Thank you for your cordial reply.

While waiting on Clemsy's inquiry I might add that there are some site changes in the distance that are being discussed so this may have an effect here. The staff are top-shelf folk doing their upmost to address this so as your request is submitted you can be sure of respectful consideration whatever is decided.

Speaking only as a participating associate and admirer of these forums I personally think it is a great idea if all the concerns seem to match up; ( and wish you much success ). The world needs as much understanding and clarity as humanly possible these days in my humble opinion. And this seems to be a very useful endeavor towards that end.

Cheers, James
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne