Rites Of Initiation For A Friend Joining The Service...

Share thoughts and ideas regarding what can be done to meet contemporary humanity's need for rites of initiation and passage.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Lachance75
Associate

Rites Of Initiation For A Friend Joining The Service...

Post by Lachance75 »

A friend of mine will be joining the Army in a few months and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to how to appropriately mark this major transition and prepare him for the upcoming transformation of "secular consciousness to military consciousness" as Joe as talked about in his "Mythos" lectures. Are there any good books, or rites, or some other type of gift you all would suggest?

Descriptors of his character which might help: He is a person of stout sensitive heart, a bit of a romantic idealist, and espouses the warrior ideals of honor, courage, valor, loyalty, discipline, integrity...et al.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Best Blessings,

Mark

wags
Associate

Post by wags »

i would have to say the New Testament would be the best place for him to start reading, only because he probably has a bible in his reach.

hoping that....
may peace preceed your every step, wags

hobbit
Associate

Post by hobbit »

I hope that your frinds entrance into the military is a good experience for him. As to books....The Scout by Tom Brown and Gillete & Moore's The Warrior both point to the distinction within between soldiers (who do what they ordered) and warriors who do what they perceive must be done in times of defense and conflict. One maxim I git form these works is that the warrior is the last to pick up a weapon and the first to put it down. May safety, peace and awareness favor your friend's path as he walks inm harm's way. All Good Medicine,
Hobbit[/i][/u]

bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss »

Where the Two Came to Their Father, by Maud Oakes (with commentary by Joseph Campbell), the first volume published by the Bollingen Foundation in 1943, documents a five day ceremony that Navajo shaman Jeff King performed for Native Americans inducted into the Armed Services during World War II.

The sand paintings were originally contained in a huge portfolio, accompanied by Campbell's commentary. This more recent version combines the depictions of the sand paintings with the story of the Twin Heroes and J.C.'s insights in a smaller volume.

This might be an appropriate gift, and could provide inspiration for creating one's own ritual marking this major life initiation.

Metaphorically Yours,
bodhibliss