Vedic Astrology and Mythic Initiation

Share thoughts and ideas regarding what can be done to meet contemporary humanity's need for rites of initiation and passage.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

Initiation is a coming of age, in any which way. In the Dasha systems of Planetary Periodicity, the precise Dates where a Major Period or a Maha Dasha ends and another begins can herald a massive change in the individual's life. If this change involves a philosophical planet like Jupiter, Brihaspati, then the native might be introduced to the hidden secrets of the world.

There are a myriad factors that will dictate with what intensity and for what duration the neophyte shall dance his mystic dance. The Mahadasha periods can range from 6 years to 20 years. Quite obviously there will be qualifying tendencies and these are dictated by the other levels of periodicity, like Sub Periods, Antar Dashas and so on.

Hindu Puranas containg planetary myths that explain the nature and essence of the Grahas, the ones who capture. The term planets does not quite capture the meaning of Grahas. The various Jyotish( Jyoti+ Ish= Light of God) Classics also contain all the relevant mystic details about thet planets, their natural attributes, interpersonal relationships etc.

Human life on earth is nothing but the distillate of the Grahas. Grahas can keep the divine soul bereft of any understanding and suddenly will take away the alienation and convince the person, he actually does belong on the planet.

Astrology in Hinduism is unique also inasmuch as it could be the only religion that has astrology as a formal part of itself. Jyotish is one of the six parts of the Vedas, Vedangas, and is necessary to interpret the codal genius of the eternal truth of the Veda.

However, Jyotish is in no sense limited to India or Hindus or in any other manner. It is all encompassing.

To the Jyotishi, the true practitioner of this sacred art, life can be understood as the dance of the individual's free will and the inescapable element of destiny. Brahman becomes real, capable of clear cut perception, even in the most mundane featues of existence, through this miraculous framework of self-analysis, prediction, divination, understanding one's path, light, and generation of bliss.

Anurag.

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

It is incredible to feel the power of a working myth. The working myth overpowers the concept of myth as poetry or a psychological miracle whereby the person goes through an initiation and metamorphosis.

Through Vedic Astrology, it is not only the psychological constructs of a human being that are studied and deciphered but the world of deterministic and free-willed events also accessed.

Thus, all of creation and the events, thoughts, relationships, ideas, spiritual and physical changes, mental metamorphoses can not only be diagnosed but predicted well in advance. God becomes an active concept: as Shakti/ Power in motion.

I undertake several chart analyses professionally and I find that once the chart is duly rested on the tripod of Country-Prevailing Environment and the Individual concerned, the chart as an occult/ mystic document can actually predict the Godly and destined events that are to come to pass in a person's life.

This is what must have come through to Jung in his study of astrology and also must be at the root of Joseph Campbell's assertion that it was not very easy to define the limits of possibility.

Interested members can visit my page http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com to see how mythic and astrological magic of India, when seen in a global perspective with the insights of comparative mythology, is so relevant in becoming a mythic guide-map for the seeker who wishes to participate fully and meaningfully in today's challenging world.

This sort of a study involves initiation and mastery both, over the realities and fantasies of one's own life and of life in general.

Anurag Sharma.

India.

nomad9
Associate

Post by nomad9 »

I'm looking for Campbell chart. Can anyone help? I read in "Fire on the Mind" that Campbell found that his Moon was conjunct His wifes Sun. Can anyone prove this with a chart? I have looked up his chart and it seemed to be incorrect. Please Help. Thanks.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi nomad9! I've never heard of Campbell having had an astrological chart done, or anyone having done so for him. To be honest, I don't think Campbell took astrology seriously other than as an obsolete cosmological model. At least I've never heard otherwise, nor inferred that he may have from any of his writings I'm familiar with.

However, if anyone can help you with this question, it will be our own Bodhibliss.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

nomad9
Associate

Post by nomad9 »

Thank you for your reply. I read in "fire in the mind" that Campbell not only casted charts himself that it quotes him as saying "I had to stop casting charts because I didn't think it was right to know the future."
I was quite suprised when I read this. It was in the notes on the topic and yes, he did cast a chart for himself and his wife together and he recognized from the signs that, as he said, "I wasn't going to be able to get away from her" - or "this one" or something to this affect.
And I think that Campbell's concern was to not follow other constructs but to Create his own that was in accord with, supported and yet trancended as well these already "fixed and set-fast" of the past.

freespiritintraining
Associate

Post by freespiritintraining »

Hello Anurag, and all JCF friends:

I just sent away for a Vedic astrolgy / astronomical analysis. i have no idea how long it will take . . . but I'd like to share some of it with you when I do . . the parts I want to share, of course. Of course it may also be so vague and inherently meaningless (which means it can be distorted to be as meaningful as you want it to be; in the first place; so why bother asking . . . ?) as other horoscopes I have seen. I am looking for specific corrobration of something . . . if I don't find it; what are the implications?

If I do find it . . . what are the implications . . . ?

thanks,

-Brian
May God Bless you And Those you Love And Care For: It does Anyway: Whether you Like it or Not.