Vedic Astrology and Mythic Initiation

Share thoughts and ideas regarding what can be done to meet contemporary humanity's need for rites of initiation and passage.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

The work of Joseph Campbell is crucial inasmuch as it opens up a way of perceiving the world that may have been absent earlier.The fundamental tool adopted to enlarge the individual's world vision in this manner is the teaching of archetypal,essential patterns that have never changed their essence since they were formulated.Only their applications change.

My idea of mythic initiation is linked with the factum of its arrival in my life after a long period of "blindness" stretching through my childhood and early youth.The harbinger of this much needed sight was Campbell through his works.

But more miraculously,a little later, I was initiated to the world of Vedic Astrology and that is when my real initiation came.The arrival of Campbell was foreseen in the Horoscope as a Guru who would change my life and the way I viewed it.It must be made clear that in this period of initiation that has extended for 5 years I have not personally met any teacher personally but conditioned by the time,place and culture,their teachings have reached me through books and TV programmes!

Vedic Astrology drives home the point that conscious energy looks at us all the time and the idea of mythic perspective is not as fluid as it may appear.There is a lot more determinism involved than that.My own blindness is clearly foretold in my own horoscope as too is the ensuing light!This is made possible by the unique device of the Dasha or the Operative Period where different life forces have an overwhelming effect on a given native's life.Then there are sub-periods and sub-sub-periods and so on that make it very clear as to what sort of forces will act on a person in a given time frame.It will interest readers to know that the planet, known as Graha:the one who captures,that made me climb into relative light is Jupiter.This planet is called Guru/Dev Guru which means Preceptor of the Gods.The wisdom in my life and the advent of teachers like Campbell was almost simultaneous with the starting of the Guru period.

I had been running the Rahu period prior to this for 18 yrs.Rahu is a demon in Hindu mythology that drank the Amrita/The Nectar of immortality by dishonest means,sitting with the Gods in disguise.The Sun and the Moon saw this and complained to Lord Vishnu who promptly cut off his head.Since that day Rahu is inimical to the Sun and the Moon.The Moon in Hindu Astrology governs the persons non logical mind,feelings,sense of happiness,beauty,grace,well being etc.All these suffered greatly in the Rahu period.

I think this can be a valuable tool for a serious mythic perspective on life.

ique
Associate

Post by ique »

Your post is very interesting. How different is Vedic astrology from Western, or westernized astrology? I assume by your post that the faces or periods have less time constraints.

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

Nice to hear from you.The biggest difference is the importance accorded to the Moon which is the significator for the mind.The Moon sign governs the mental make up of the native.In the Indian calculations the Western Sun Sign is modified and it becomes the one preceding it,eg,the Sun sign Gemini will mean that the sun is posited in the sign Taurus.
The Periods are further sub-divided into sub-periods and inter-periods.The Major period gives results based on the current sub-period as well as transits.
Another unique facet is the use of Divisional charts along with the main horoscope to isolate areas of a person's life so they may be studied in greater detail.
The great benefit I have derived from this is to add a dimension of meaning to the neutral and pictorial interpretation of life in myths.There is now an answer to the "why" of things.It is illuminating to discover the mathematical regularity with which man's life may be "seen"through this.Jung wrote of the significance of astrology and it ceratinly has provrd uncannily valid in my experience.There is more to the world than catches even the discerning and learned eye!

ique
Associate

Post by ique »

So the position of the Moon and the Sun at time of birth determine a person’s sign? And the signs correspond to the Western Zodiac?

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

There are three important things.The Ascendant is the most crucial.It is the sign rising on the eastern horizon at the time of birth.This sign represents the self and the body of the native,his personality and health etc.The Moon sign represents the mental make up and the sun sign is the measure of the strength of the soul of the person.All these three ascendents must be studied to arrive at a reasonable understanding of the person we are talking about.

11/17/08
Associate

Post by 11/17/08 »

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but could you explain how Vedic Astrology is linked with initiation? And by initiation I mean the transformation of a youth into an adult. Please refer to the <a href= "http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... olence"</a> thread for some of my own thoughts.

ique
Associate

Post by ique »

So, if the position of the sun and the moon at time of birth are known, then a sign can be determined. Does this mean that there are records of these positions for dates far back in time and far into the future?

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

Sorry about not replying to your previous comment about the link between Jyotish(Vedic Astro.)& myhtic initiation.Jyotish means the light of God and simply cannot come to someone who is trapped in blindness.What happens is that the various forces that are the planets cause the native to view existence in a radically different manner.His whole system of references is changed.And like I said in the main body that this is not merely poetic though the talented dancer can discover novel tones to this cosmic play.
Whether one knows about it or not and whether one is ina totally different culture,these forces do have identical effects on people.
Records are kept of planetary movements is documents called ephemeris.Everything is available.They chart horoscopes of medieval Islamic invaders who came into India!
This is an indication that though psychological archetypes are a good way to come to understanding there are Gods and planets that are much more alive and their life has a constant effect on us.I can vouch for that.A lack of perspective is just as ordained as anything else.
Different people are affected differently by the same planets becuse they are at different levels of individual development.

ique
Associate

Post by ique »

Do you feel then, that what is ordained can be changed, or altered, for better or for worse, by someone?

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

This is a very good question.One that I have asked of myself several times.My own belief is that different people have different mystic sheaths operating in their selves at various times.The operating planet certainly has an effect that it is supposed to have,whether we like it or not.The unusually good effects also manifest fully even though our conscious mind may not be willing to ever accept that something good can happen in the present surroundings.So there is a definite element of destiny and inevitability.
I don't think any major change can be made.This becomes very clear in a malefic period like the widely feared 7.5 years transit of Saturn around the natal Moon.I can tell you that the individual wants to run away,do anything to get rid of this,but can't.This appears roughly every 30 yrs in everyone's life.A very good book is The Greatness of Saturn by Dr.Robert E. Svoboda who felt the workings of this phase acutely.I am going through this phase now.Fortunately,it has been countered by a very auspicious operative period that started almost at the same time.
So,in short,it might be safely said that we can do very little,if at all.But this ought not be confused with a passive attitude.

ique
Associate

Post by ique »

What then do you see as the difference between a passive attitude to life and one that sees life as a passage through destiny?

What would be a positive attitude towards destiny?

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

I think one should watch the passing forms as a product of destiny and yet act with zeal and a bogus element of doership.This will introduce the famous element of "play",ensure participation and yet further spiritual growth.

ique
Associate

Post by ique »

What do you mean by a "bogus element of doership"?

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

I mean that one does everything but it's just that one identifies the source and basis of all action in the Unseen Power.That's what becomes apparent in Vedic Astrology.Sheafs of paper indicate very well what is happening with one's life.With that sort of vision it is tough to keep pretending to be the doer even though one is doing everything at another level.That's why it is called Divine Eyes of the Veda.Astrology shows what cannot be seen with mortal eyes.

anuraag27
Associate

Post by anuraag27 »

Those who may have chanced upon this topic will be interested to note that, in my astrological experience, the Planets have indeed been giving ordained results continually. I feel I am following my bliss by pursuing Vedic Astrology, for that woke me up, drew me out of my unseeing faltering slumber.

In my professional practice of Jyotish, I find that this is a tolerant and mystic discipline that does not discriminate. If fuelled by Desh-Kal-Patra, i.e.,information pertaining to a person's country, prevalent environment and who he or she might be, planets furnish archetypes that can be unravelled astonishingly accurately for the individual. Universal bliss appears contained in the mystic formulae captured by the Rishis of India. These reveal pragmatic details of life as too the highest flights of Atman supported by Brahman.

Some perspective might be gleaned by following my Vedic Astrology writings at http://www.astrologyguild.com by clicking on articles and then on by author.

Campbell drew a lot from India. This country could contain vital keys to the secret of Creation, as is suspected by a lot of people who survey mystic metaphysics. It is up to us to try and grant a greater validity to the symbol and see how real it actually might be, even in day to day life.

Jyotish and its study and practice could be one way, since it transcends religion, conversion, dogma, bigotry, barriers and literalism.

Anurag Sharma.
Dehradun.India.