Gaia's Grief

Share thoughts and ideas regarding what can be done to meet contemporary humanity's need for rites of initiation and passage.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

How will humankind address the global environmental problem in this century?

a.) We will find a satisfactory way to address each environmental problem without too much trauma to the environment or to humankind.
16%
b.) We will fail miserably; war, famine, and pestilence will triumph in this century, causing not only the senseless destruction of the environment, but unnecessary suffering and deaths of billions of people.
41%
c.) Other
43%

Total votes: 37

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

Social and ecological issues have two interacting components. One is systemic and requires design initiative from those with the resources and will to take steps that make the real progress happen on the local level. That is where folks become conscious of their own role in the larger issues and the sparks fl
I think we can act to make a difference in our own small way,instead of trying follow the lead or to nudge each other into action.
Till our children -the stubborn and the impatient of the coming generations take over from us- to make a World of Difference.
All we gotta do, is to do what we know we oughta do. :)
Non-violence ... requires greater heroism than of brave soldiers ... The world does not accept today the idea of loving the enemy. Even in Christian Europe the principle of non-violence is ridiculed ... Christians do not understand the message of Jesus. It is necessary to deliver it over again in the way we can understand ...

- Gandhi - speech -1925

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

captsunshine wrote:
Social and ecological issues have two interacting components. One is systemic and requires design initiative from those with the resources and will to take steps that make the real progress happen on the local level. That is where folks become conscious of their own role in the larger issues and the sparks fl
I think we can act to make a difference in our own small way,instead of trying follow the lead or to nudge each other into action.
Till our children -the stubborn and the impatient of the coming generations take over from us- to make a World of Difference.
All we gotta do, is to do what we know we oughta do. :)
Yes....

AND there are people just like you and me who are busily looking out for all of us.

We do what we can do and others do what they can do.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

Guess so! :)
But having said so, to make the smallest changes in our lives -it requires a lot of determination and a whole new outlook on life.- And a lot of mutual encouragement from people like you and me
I used to think that Desert religions are shaped in such a way that allowed maximum exploitation of its sparse resources.
But now i realize that the phenomenon is Global. The Cambodian empire and probably the mayan,aztec and the Indus valley civilizations -All are examples of overexploitation of local resources, coupled with geological events like floods or quakes,leading to their demise.
Speaking of Gaiia's Grief- I can see a new hero in the Horizon - all set to wipe her tears and console her...... in the form of Donald Trump :P
Non-violence ... requires greater heroism than of brave soldiers ... The world does not accept today the idea of loving the enemy. Even in Christian Europe the principle of non-violence is ridiculed ... Christians do not understand the message of Jesus. It is necessary to deliver it over again in the way we can understand ...

- Gandhi - speech -1925

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

All are examples of overexploitation of local resources, coupled with geological events like floods or quakes,leading to their demise.
And now the Mississippi river is striking back.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

Hmmm I am missing the Metaphor here :roll:

- Gandhi - speech -1925

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

You haven't heard the news over there? This is the worst flooding of the Mississippi river in modern history. Here are some links.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/0 ... oding.html

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.s ... s_a_1.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2 ... pact_n.htm

I don't know, but all these "omens" over the last few months can't be a good sign. :shock:

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

Yes. A very unfortunate incident.
Do you think that these Omens herald the advent of an impending doom? Or are we just a bit oversensitized by the recent Natural disasters?

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Honestly, for me it is both. "Impending doom" clearly exists by examining history and mythology. However, every generation thinks it will happen in their lifetime.

Maybe when there's a 10.0 earthquake, I'll set up my soapbox on the streetcorner. For now, I 'll just watch and take notes.

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

Gaia is synonymous to Regenerationand Rebirth and death is an essential
but transient component in this cycle
All these Prophets of impending doom do not really understand this underlying principle that sustains the Earth.
Maybe its just the end of the 'World' according to them. And they will die with it
Because they cannot transform themselves to accept new realities that 'change' has brought to their doorsteps.

- Gandhi - speech -1925

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Because they cannot transform themselves to accept new realities that 'change' has brought to their doorsteps-Capt
Yes...nothing really every ends, it just changes.
"Every new beginning comes from someother new begiining's end"
I think that's the Goo-Goo Dolls.

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

The Goo Goo Dolls!
You have floored me with that Quote!! :lol: :o

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Merci :-)
It was a privilege to
read all those posts
full of wisdom about
the Planet Earth, our
home! :-)

captsunshine
Associate

Post by captsunshine »

I wish I could think of the solar system or the Milky way as Home!
But I guess I need to learn to care for what I call Home now, first

Donna in Arizona
Associate

Post by Donna in Arizona »

There is a native american story where Fox represents the Earth. When Fox has too many parasites she goes to a deep, slow moving river. She walks into the water painstakingly slow so that the parasites can run up her legs. She walks in deeper and the parasites run higher onto her body. Finally she moves even deeper until her back and tail are covered with water and the current sheds off most of the parasites and moves them downstream. Finally, Fox dunks down until only her nostrils are above water and two little parasites remain on her nose. She returns to shore, shakes off the water and she and the two little parasites begin again.

When all of the recent "natural disasters" began domino-ing I thought of that story and wondered; is it possible that Earth really is a sentient being? Has she finally decided it is time to trot us down to the river and rid herself of a few parasites?

Any thoughts?

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Donna in Arizona wrote:There is a native american story where Fox represents the Earth. When Fox has too many parasites she goes to a deep, slow moving river. She walks into the water painstakingly slow so that the parasites can run up her legs. She walks in deeper and the parasites run higher onto her body. Finally she moves even deeper until her back and tail are covered with water and the current sheds off most of the parasites and moves them downstream. Finally, Fox dunks down until only her nostrils are above water and two little parasites remain on her nose. She returns to shore, shakes off the water and she and the two little parasites begin again.

When all of the recent "natural disasters" began domino-ing I thought of that story and wondered; is it possible that Earth really is a sentient being? Has she finally decided it is time to trot us down to the river and rid herself of a few parasites?

Any thoughts?
Perfect story Donna. That's exactly what my thoughts are. I'm just hoping that the parasites will learn to evolve. :wink: