Josph Cambell quotes - references

Share thoughts and ideas regarding what can be done to meet contemporary humanity's need for rites of initiation and passage.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

claireschrader
Associate

Josph Cambell quotes - references

Post by claireschrader »

Can any of you wise souls help me with references for these two references - whihc I need for a chapter I am writing for the academic book I am editing on ritual theatre.

A ritual is the enactment of a myth. And, by participating in the ritual, you are participating in the myth. And since myth is a projection of the depth wisdom of the psyche, by participating in a ritual, participating in the myth, you are being, as it were, put in accord with that wisdom, which is the wisdom that is inherent within you anyhow. Your consciousness is being re-minded of the wisdom of your own life.

"An initiation is a shock. This is why mysteries are kept secret. Birth is a shock; rebirth is a shock. For the ritual to transform us, we must experience it as if for the first time." - The Shaping of Our Mythic Tradition, Joseph Campbell

Your assistenace very much appreciated

Claire
Claire Schrader
founder of myth-a-drama, inspired by Joseph Campbell's work www.makingmoves.net
editor Ritual Theatre: Theatre of Healing (to be published Nov 2011)

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

Hi Claire,

I think the "enactment of a myth" quote might be from the video of Power of Myth, and the "initiation" quote sounds like something from Mythos I. I'll check the videos and let you know.

claireschrader
Associate

Post by claireschrader »

Much appreciated. If you think the first quote is in the Power of Myth, cna yyou identify whihc section - so I will be able to find it in the book. Many thanks
Claire Schrader

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

Myrtle wrote:Hi Claire,

I think the "enactment of a myth" quote might be from the video of Power of Myth, and the "initiation" quote sounds like something from Mythos I. I'll check the videos and let you know.
Both of these attributions are correct.

Claire, if/when you need help clearing permissions on these, please contact me at rights@JCF.org
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

Thanks David!

claireschrader
Associate

Post by claireschrader »

Thank you David. I have a copy of the Power of Myth book - which I beleive is a transcript of the video. Do you happen to know which section this comes in - so far I am not finding it and would like to be sure of the context.

I understood from the UK publisher who is publishing the book that I am able to refer to these quotes. (I may only refer to one), as they are less thaqn 400 words and are being used as part of the argument/ discussion within the chapter - part of the "fair dealing" aggreemnet.. This is not a chapter opener or an epigraph.

Do you happen to know the page number for the Mythos reference?

Your assistance greatly appreciated

Claire
Claire Schrader

claireschrader
Associate

Post by claireschrader »

I just wanted to say that I am deeply aprreciative of this assistance. I love Joseph Campbell's work - and apply it to my field of healing theatre, working with myths and archetypes. My book I hope will beign more awareness of his amazing work, insight and inspiration.

warmest wishes

Claire

Please let me know David, if I need to ask for permission ot use these quotes
Claire Schrader

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

claireschrader wrote:I just wanted to say that I am deeply aprreciative of this assistance. I love Joseph Campbell's work - and apply it to my field of healing theatre, working with myths and archetypes. My book I hope will beign more awareness of his amazing work, insight and inspiration.

warmest wishes

Claire

Please let me know David, if I need to ask for permission ot use these quotes
Well, let's put it this way: I strongly suggest you get permission.

If I were to approach your publisher to say that I was going to use a quote from your book under "fair use," they would point out to me that:
  1. So-called "fair use" is a matter of custom, not of a law; no one has ever successfully defended themselves in court against a claim of copyright infringement on the basis of "fair use."
  2. The traditional limits for invoking "fair use" are sixty words of prose or two lines of poetry.
  3. It's polite to ask. ;)
Having said that, I strongly suggest that you seek permissions. The Power of Myth is one of the few print titles for which we do not control the power to grant permissions. For that title, you will need to approach the publisher, Random House/Doubleday: http://www.randomhouse.biz/about/permissions

For the Mythos quote, I can help you. Email me at rights@jcf.org.
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

claireschrader
Associate

Post by claireschrader »

Thank you David for your guidance. I am guided by my publisher and they may well be undertaking that task.They have just asked me to seek permission for longer quotes, chapter openers and epigraphs.

I could only find part of the ritual quote in the Power of Myth book - and so I assume it may have been edited down - in which case I will quote the video - which was published by Mystic Fire Video. Are there the same rules around video - should i go through you for that?

I notice you are in Mill Valley - and I shall be coming out to San Francisco shortly for a month. Some coincidence? I lived in san rafael for a year.

warmest wishes

Claire
Claire Schrader

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

claireschrader wrote:If you think the first quote is in the Power of Myth, can you identify which section - so I will be able to find it in the book.
So far, I have only been able to find this quote in The Power of Myth ("The First Storytellers" video and chapter in the book).
A ritual is the enactment of a myth. By participating in a ritual, you are participating in a myth.

claireschrader
Associate

Post by claireschrader »

Me too Myrtle. I imagine two quotes were put together - but where does the other one come from!!!! It's like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Claire
Claire Schrader

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

Just found this in a Practical Campbell essay called Ritual: Who Needs It? by Bodhi Bliss
A ritual is the enactment of a myth. And, by participating in the ritual, you are participating in the myth. And since myth is a projection of the depth wisdom of the psyche, by participating in a ritual, participating in the myth, you are being, as it were, put in accord with that wisdom, which is the wisdom that is inherent within you anyhow. Your consciousness is being re-minded of the wisdom of your own life.
The source for the quote listed in the essay is:

Joseph Campbell, The Wisdom of Joseph Campbell, New Dimensions Radio Interview with Michael Toms
Tape I, Side 2.