From Samhain to Lemuria

Share thoughts and ideas regarding what can be done to meet contemporary humanity's need for rites of initiation and passage.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

mesolimbo
Associate

Post by mesolimbo »

After the Equinox and Samhain, we celebrate our New Year ... somehow this pleased Pope Gregor even though it makes no astronomical sense, and it stuck.

From January on we have political and Judeo-xtian holidays, then before you know it, Memorial Day comes along. Why bring this up, well I want you to join in on an old tradition that ties in to Samhain.

Romus and romulus had problems in the early days of their rule, and eventually Romus killed his brother (Hence the name of the town) but guilt ate him up so bad that he created a festival, Remuria or Lemuria, to fend off all spirits that haunt those who wronged them. The festival involved odd rituals such as backwards walking, salt spilling, and costumes to fool the dead. Eventually Remuria became Memorial Day, I guess the dead aren't as pissy these days.

So anyway, this is one of the only non judeo-xtian days we have to dress up and act weird and commune with the dead ... so start making plans and feel free to ask for tips on how to have a wild Lemuria party =)
Always leave them wanting less<br>-- Andy Warhol

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Lemuria, huh? If Wikipedia were not offline today, I'd look it up.

Wikipedia is off line to route people toward sending messages to their Congressional representatives about proposed legislation that Wikipedia believes will adversely affect users of the internet.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene