Bliss, etc.

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Looking for jobs online has been a preoccupation of mine for a long time. The descriptions of the job duties and requirements never really fit me.

Yesterday, I found a job that I know I can do and it fits me to a a tee. Having said that, I sent out three emails to scare up references, and discovered that none of the people I approached are answering my email.

This is the job:

https://unmjobs.unm.edu/applicants/jsp/ ... 1547941937

I feel rejected already. I know that I was rejected after law school, but now I have so much experience. The rejection is not just a feeling. I wish I could say that I understand, but I don't have enough information to understand, and I am vulnerable on so many levels. It is hard to describe.

I feel judged. There was a time when judgments made no difference, because I was doing what was I knew was right and good. No one could say or do anything that hurt me.

That has changed. I am vulnerable now, and I'm not sure why. All I know is that everything is different today.

My education and "choice" of Harvard Law School was a good thing. It was so good that it never seemed like a real choice. Now, I'm feeling as though that choice may be the main reason why the folks I contacted will not feel moved to treat me with respect.

I think I am seen in a severely negative light.....perhaps well deserved. I don't know. On the one hand, no one deserves to be disrespected in the ways I have been subjected to disrespect, but I fight back at every turn, and others fight back, too. There is more than enough "disrespect" to go around.

Those of us who are middle kids are expected to take the brunt of disrespect. It's our job. I get that. I am a dutiful middle kid like six of my eight siblings, and we are well-practiced in the art of picking our battles.

The battles become numerous and tiresome. After years of cleaning excrement and wiping away tears and challenging inexplicable rage, I am nearly spent. If I could, I would shuffle off to Buffalo right now, and I cannot. Sorry. For those who are eagerly hoping for my demise, and I hate to disappoint, but I only benefit from every lesson in life. So sorry.

The rejections I am experiencing today are par for the course.

Hope will visit me in another guise, I'm sure.

~

Oh! Last night I met with the Mythological RoundTable of Albuquerque, and it was a lovely time. We talked about our Personal Myths and got to know each other a little bit. It was so wonderful.

Job Schmob. I will go ahead and submit the written things for the various jobs at the University of New Mexico, and maybe something good will come of it. Have to fill out forms and create a CV and resume. I'm working on caring enough to do what needs to be done (not easy) and not care enough to feel hurt if it turns south.

The years of lawyering were thankless, in part because the local community either believes that I am completely and deservedly destitute or that I am fabulously and irresponsibly wealthy. (You do not have to pay poor people and the wealthy don't need the money). The truth is lost on Albuquerque. Anything more complex than a hot fudge sundae just whizzes past the folks here. It is discouraging precisely because I cannot leave and there is no place else I can call home.

I think I am feeling sorry for myself, and I am not proud of it. If I go through the motions of applying for the job I know I can do, it will be with the knowledge that there are probably a dozen others who would be more likely to be offered what is supposed to be a modest salary for a job suited to those who behave the way we expect visiting professors to act. (???!!!)

To me, the salary is a doorway, a window and a parachute..

I love life no matter what happens. That is so insipid and vacuous, but true..

Bliss feels good, and somehow, it does not feel right.

Wow! ....complicated....

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Looking for jobs online has been a preoccupation of mine for a long time. The descriptions of the job duties and requirements never really fit me.

Yesterday, I found a job that I know I can do and it fits me to a a tee. Having said that, I sent out three emails to scare up references, and discovered that none of the people I approached are answering my email.

This is the job:

I feel rejected already. I know that I was rejected after law school, but now I have so much experience. The rejection is not just a feeling. I wish I could say that I understand, but I don't have enough information to understand, and I am vulnerable on so many levels. It is hard to describe.

I feel judged. There was a time when judgments made no difference, because I was doing what was I knew was right and good. No one could say or do anything that hurt me.

That has changed. I am vulnerable now, and I'm not sure why. All I know is that everything is different today.

My education and "choice" of Harvard Law School was a good thing. It was so good that it never seemed like a real choice. Now, I'm feeling as though that choice may be the main reason why the folks I contacted will not feel moved to treat me with respect.

I think I am seen in a severely negative light.....perhaps well deserved. I don't know. On the one hand, no one deserves to be disrespected in the ways I have been subjected to disrespect, but I fight back at every turn, and others fight back, too. There is more than enough "disrespect" to go around.

Those of us who are middle kids are expected to take the brunt of disrespect. It's our job. I get that. I am a dutiful middle kid like six of my eight siblings, and we are well-practiced in the art of picking our battles.

The battles become numerous and tiresome. After years of cleaning excrement and wiping away tears and challenging inexplicable rage, I am nearly spent. If I could, I would shuffle off to Buffalo right now, and I cannot. Sorry. For those who are eagerly hoping for my demise, and I hate to disappoint, but I only benefit from every lesson in life. So sorry.

~

Oh! Last night I met with the Mythological RoundTable of Albuquerque, and it was a lovely time. We talked about our Personal Myths and got to know each other a little bit. It was so wonderful.

Job Schmob. I will go ahead and submit the written things for the various jobs at the University of New Mexico, and maybe something good will come of it. Have to fill out forms and create a CV and resume. I'm working on caring enough to do what needs to be done (not easy) and not care enough to feel hurt if it turns south.

The years of lawyering were thankless, in part because the local community either believes that I am completely and deservedly destitute or that I am fabulously and irresponsibly wealthy. (You do not have to pay poor people and the wealthy don't need the money). The truth is lost on Albuquerque. Anything more complex than a hot fudge sundae just whizzes past the folks here. It is discouraging precisely because I cannot leave and there is no place else I can call home.

I think I am feeling sorry for myself, and I am not proud of it. If I go through the motions of applying for the job I know I can do, it will be with the knowledge that there are probably a dozen others who would be more likely to be offered what is supposed to be a modest salary for a job suited to those who behave the way we expect visiting professors to act. (???!!!)

Wow! ....complicated....

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

This is the job:

~

Wow! ....complicated....

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

This is the job:

~

Wow! ....complicated....

~

personamyth
Associate

Pay attention to Every single moment, you will see it

Post by personamyth »

And so it has begun and forever it shall be, the path of the hero is a treacherous and dangerous path but yet filled with surprises and unpredictable miracles that we may suddenly find its either a reincarnated saint, or twisting evil force that's pulling us in all distorting ways in a turbulence.
What troubles me most is how to find our own bliss? I recall my time when I was young and I seem to have so many interests and tried all sorts of things, but i never tend to stay with one thing. How do we know ourselves that we truly love something?
Its a troubling thing or a struggle for one to find themselves in what kind of bliss or sanctuary they belong to. As Joseph Campbell had recalled in his interview the Power of Myth, he urged that we need to spend at least an hour a day to immerse ourselves in our own bliss, meaning our own happy space, even if it means putting on a corny music that no one else likes, but just yourself, is an example of find our 'True' bliss or inner sanctum.
It means that it has nothing to do with how the outside world or anyone else looks at you or maybe judging you or having any sort of discriminatory or disagreement about what you love to do, instead you do it because you feel connected someways to a higher entity. Higher entity I mean like your mind, heart and soul is in harmony despite having a stressful life effected by economic, social, or any other outside forces.
Harmony as in you don't care what they think or what they say, because it don't matter how late in the night it is you still going to get up and do it! As if time don't exist when you enter that zone and you are revived again after a tiring day at the office with the energy of pushing yourself to the limit for reaching higher. (the Victory gesture of Boxing champions)
It takes courage, for the hero to learn at the very beginning to develop this trait because without courage, for us is the same thing, we wouldn't take the first steps when the opportunity comes to our door step because maybe its a little inconvenient or uncomfortable due to the unpredictable situations. You know like I was afraid to take a long journey bus ride through the ghetto just to get to a boxing gym that was the only gym nearest my home in the neighborhood.
We are urged or tempted to prevent walking out the door to discover ourselves further. And remain in a secured or routine life-style just doing the same thing over and over again. Little things that make us afraid and fear for the unknown...
So keep looking and always try new things, its a long process, but when you find it its yourself to keep forever.
"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want." - Muhammad Ali (The Greatest)

personamyth
Associate

Pay attention to Every single moment, you will see it

Post by personamyth »

And so it has begun and forever it shall be, the path of the hero is a treacherous and dangerous path but yet filled with surprises and unpredictable miracles that we may suddenly find its either a reincarnated saint, or twisting evil force that's pulling us in all distorting ways in a turbulence.
What troubles me most is how to find our own bliss? I recall my time when I was young and I seem to have so many interests and tried all sorts of things, but i never tend to stay with one thing. How do we know ourselves that we truly love something?
Its a troubling thing or a struggle for one to find themselves in what kind of bliss or sanctuary they belong to. As Joseph Campbell had recalled in his interview the Power of Myth, he urged that we need to spend at least an hour a day to immerse ourselves in our own bliss, meaning our own happy space, even if it means putting on a corny music that no one else likes, but just yourself, is an example of find our 'True' bliss or inner sanctum.
It means that it has nothing to do with how the outside world or anyone else looks at you or maybe judging you or having any sort of discriminatory or disagreement about what you love to do, instead you do it because you feel connected someways to a higher entity. Higher entity I mean like your mind, heart and soul is in harmony despite having a stressful life effected by economic, social, or any other outside forces.
Harmony as in you don't care what they think or what they say, because it don't matter how late in the night it is you still going to get up and do it! As if time don't exist when you enter that zone and you are revived again after a tiring day at the office with the energy of pushing yourself to the limit for reaching higher. (the Victory gesture of Boxing champions)
It takes courage, for the hero to learn at the very beginning to develop this trait because without courage, for us is the same thing, we wouldn't take the first steps when the opportunity comes to our door step because maybe its a little inconvenient or uncomfortable due to the unpredictable situations. You know like I was afraid to take a long journey bus ride through the ghetto just to get to a boxing gym that was the only gym nearest my home in the neighborhood.
We are urged or tempted to prevent walking out the door to discover ourselves further. And remain in a secured or routine life-style just doing the same thing over and over again. Little things that make us afraid and fear for the unknown...
So keep looking and always try new things, its a long process, but when you find it its yourself to keep forever.
"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want." - Muhammad Ali (The Greatest)

personamyth
Associate

Every moment is a sign

Post by personamyth »

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I am so glad to be here.

:D

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

It is just good to be here.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

It is good to just be here.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

If I have been quiet lately, it is because I cannot get my posts to "stick" on this site. Until the glitches are fixed, I just keep trying to add words, hoping something will happen. [Here goes nothing!]

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Checking In. Hoping this takes.

My psyche has been affected by a compliment from a few individuals in the UK, who sent me letters stating that my name would be recorded by the International Biographical Centre in the ninth edition of a book called "2000 Oustanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century" and on a list of the "Top 100 Professionals" of 2015.

I will not look this gift horse in the mouth, because I've been wanting a pony for a while now. The words are kind and I am grateful.

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

This is a test of the website to find out if I can post or not.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

:!:

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

...tbd...