The Writer and the Shaman

Joseph Campbell believed that "...each of us has an individual myth that's driving us, which we may or may not know." This forum is for assistance and inspiration in the quest to find your own personal mythology.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Though his name was familiar, I had to acquaint myself with the work of Vogler. His approach to story telling would appear to be popular in the film industry, where the work has to generate money most of the time. Indie films may be the exception, and they tend to be the incubator for otherwise stifled creativity.

The shaman is associated with a certain gateway experience, especially as Campbell explains with his POM example of a shaman. They are known for ritual, magic and healing. However, when I recall taking an online spiritual belief test, I remember that my own beliefs were categorized in the test results as being closest to that of a shaman, though I am not involved in anything one might recognize as shamanistic practices.

My beliefs, according to the authors of that belief test, are close to those of Ghandi and the Dalai Lama.

I write, but not fiction. I have been known to use fragile and vulnerable memories to say what I'm thinking, at the risk of both poor judgment and outright error. The truth, as I perceive it, may or may not advance the recognition of archetype or the hero's journey. It just finds a place to be.

I am extremely embarrassed by my inability to find a calling that would give me financial freedom. At the same time, I am deeply invested in values that ignore money and treat concern for money-making with some disdain. It would be less confusing if my unrealistic and quixotic personal ambitions were not associated with the amassing of fortunes or administration of great budgetary coffers.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

FDamkar
Associate

Post by FDamkar »

Indeed, his approach to story telling is very much well known in the film industry. I would agree that a majority of people, myself included, enjoy how he handles storytelling for a large industry. I feel that many films, especially independent and animated features, do tend to be starting points for creativity and its process. It was, at least in my eyes, that way long ago when many new projects were released in certain decades, such as the 1980s. Many new ideas for films were released and many of those films snatched the attention of various crowds. I can see that it can be that way in various places in Hollywood, just not in the mainstream as of now.

I understand; I, too, do not claim to be involved in any sort of shamanistic practices. I do believe that writers and artists do share similarities to what shamans do: that is, to bring magic and healing into the world. But I cannot claim to be involved in shamanism, on the basis that I don't possess the knowledge of becoming an actual shaman.

I feel that many writers can use memories to say what they believe in and what they think, despite the odds that may lay before them. I myself sometimes feel this way and may feel afraid to even try. But it is at these times that I also try to remember the courage of various heroes and their journeys and I do what is needed to be done, as if I were remembering the wisdom that they have gifted before me.

Another similarity to be noticed between writers and shamans; keeping the traditions of old alive.

FDamkar
Associate

Post by FDamkar »

Indeed, his approach to story telling is very much well known in the film industry. I would agree that a majority of people, myself included, enjoy how he handles storytelling for a large industry. I feel that many films, especially independent and animated features, do tend to be starting points for creativity and its process. It was, at least in my eyes, that way long ago when many new projects were released in certain decades, such as the 1980s. Many new ideas for films were released and many of those films snatched the attention of various crowds. I can see that it can be that way in various places in Hollywood, just not in the mainstream as of now.

I understand; I, too, do not claim to be involved in any sort of shamanistic practices. I do believe that writers and artists do share similarities to what shamans do: that is, to bring magic and healing into the world. But I cannot claim to be involved in shamanism, on the basis that I don't possess the knowledge of becoming an actual shaman.

I feel that many writers can use memories to say what they believe in and what they think, despite the odds that may lay before them. I myself sometimes feel this way and may feel afraid to even try. But it is at these times that I also try to remember the courage of various heroes and their journeys and I do what is needed to be done, as if I were remembering the wisdom that they have gifted before me.

Another similarity to be noticed between writers and shamans; keeping the traditions of old alive.

FDamkar
Associate

Post by FDamkar »

FDamkar
Associate

Post by FDamkar »

Cassmoss

Post by Cassmoss »

I am new to this site, but have long been enthralled by Campbell. People tell me I have had an interesting life, and should write a book about it. I started in an idle moment, but was repelled by recounting scenes, memories & people. I did not really want to record 'facts', memorable or not. This was where I baulked, but I knew there was a tale in me that had to be told. I let it simmer a few years, got involved in other projects and had to focus on earning my bread doing things I love. But my story was always there, always nudging ...

Gradually, the theme emerged. It is a series of beads threaded on something intangible, a string of insights and awakenings, pieces gathering somewhere and finding the space into which they fitted.

Yes, there will be archetypes and rituals, dark nights and long afternoons shedding gold across spaces.There will be memories and people and places, and gods and demons.. I am planning to write the harvest of my years, my teachers, my shadows and my unfolding and morphing as a human being.

I love stories, telling them and hearing them, and mine is in gestation, my experience on Planet earth and how the cosmos is filling my consciousness.

This thread has inspired me anew. Thanks, guys.