Mapping our personal myth.

Joseph Campbell believed that "...each of us has an individual myth that's driving us, which we may or may not know." This forum is for assistance and inspiration in the quest to find your own personal mythology.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Re: Mapping our personal myth.

Post by CarmelaBear »

Eric Mosley wrote:Hello All;

I am new to this forum and have read over many previous posts but may have missed this topic as embedded somewhere else. If so, please point me toward the appropriate discussion.

I recently finished my second read of "Pathways To Bliss" and am very interested in the project of determining my personal myth, a project that both Campbell and Jung embarked on. I'm wondering if anyone has developed a distillation of Campbell's ideas on how to go about this project and then put it into practice?

As I contemplate what Campbell said in "Pathways To Bliss" I think he is saying that the multi-cultural pervasiveness of the Hero's/Heroine's Journey myth means that this is the generic template for most (all?) people but there will be a specific Journey story and a particular set of images embedded in a person's psyche and it is that story and set of images we are looking for when we try to map our own personal myth. I'm wondering how others see and understand this?

em
Hi Eric. I'm late to this thread, but I want to add my welcome and put in my two cents.

There is something like a universal template for what Campbell called the hero's journey or the masks of god, and it can be used to make sense of a personal experience that often has a life of its own, in a place where we feel like we are just observers in a drama swirling madly around us. Campbell offers no magic formula or ritual or spiritual practice. He hints at general clues and uses the myth stories to tease out the particular clues we need to help us along the path to a bliss that awaits us, in spite of whatever we must endure to take the next step.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Eric Mosley
Associate

Post by Eric Mosley »

Hi Carmela;

Thank you for your reply. I'm still out here, studying Jung and Campbell. I'm currently working with Campbell's "Creative Mythology" and "Myths To Live By" along with some Jungian things. I don't have much to say yet.

All my best,
em

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Wonderful Eric. It's a great journey. Discovering the best of Jung and Campbell is seriously enriching and helpful.

For my part, it's a re-reading of the book on goddesses, hoping something will rub off in a positive way.

~

Eric Mosley
Associate

Post by Eric Mosley »

Thank you again Carmela. I think you have described the challenge perfectly. The challenge of putting knowledge into action. And, from your kindness, it seems to me that what you are hoping for is happening.

All my best,
em

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

8)

Chrysalis9
Associate

Another newbie

Post by Chrysalis9 »

As another newbie, I appreciate this discussion and the suggestions made. While I search the index for interesting topics, I'll also explore the suggestions made here. Thank you. :)

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hello Chrysalis9 and a hearty welcome to the forums. A couple of things might be worth mentioning while you are perusing these various topics that hopefully will be of some help.

You may or may not be aware that the website is about to go through a major overhaul because of it's age and lack of ability to function properly due to among other things it's antiquated code. (An important fundraising drive was recently successful in it's efforts to secure this new update which has been long overdue.) You may also notice that there is little activity for now but fortunately the support staff recently has been able to render a temporary fix until the brand new site is ready. (As a matter of fact I'm not even sure most of the regulars that post here are even aware it's back up and running again.)

At any rate our head moderator: "Clemsy" should be able to give assistance if needed by sending a "PM"; (private message to him); and hopefully we will have our new site up and running in the not too distant future. Although an associate if I may be of some service I will be happy to offer what limited help I'm able to provide.

Again welcome here; glad to have you aboard!

Cheers :)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Chrysalis9
Associate

Thank you Michael

Post by Chrysalis9 »

I guess this gives me lots of time to explore and if I notice it's not working, then I'll know it either is being worked on or will be shortly. Very much appreciate the heads up...

JamesN.
Associate

Re: Thank you Michael

Post by JamesN. »

Chrysalis9 wrote:I guess this gives me lots of time to explore and if I notice it's not working, then I'll know it either is being worked on or will be shortly. Very much appreciate the heads up...
Actually the site seems to be working pretty well at the moment all things considered. Whatever adjustments were implemented really seem be to helping a lot from the broken condition it was previously in. But the new website will most definitely bring us up to speed to meet the coming demands of where the forums need to be going forward. (You should see some conversation interaction fairly soon. As a matter of fact one of the regulars just popped in on another couple of threads a moment ago; so if you see anything that sparks an interest feel free to join in.)

Cheers :)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne