Myth Happens

Joseph Campbell believed that "...each of us has an individual myth that's driving us, which we may or may not know." This forum is for assistance and inspiration in the quest to find your own personal mythology.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Dyre42
Associate

Myth Happens

Post by Dyre42 »

As far as I can tell I it the point of self awareness in which the right and left sides of my brain really started talking to each other and I accidentally became a shaman and lived out The Monomyth as Campbell called it. At the time I was only passingly familiar with Campbell's work. I really had no idea what was going on for about nine months of that. It felt a lot like going mad.

I started having visions that were creation myths involving talking animals. The Great Mother, the Universe, and the judeo christian god kept talking to me. I kept going into trances and delivering various prophecies none of which I believed. I went into a trance so deep once I blacked out and was acting out a vision (not good).

There was a story line that developed over time which went like this....

Mother Earth(Gaia) took me under her wing on my personal mission to change the world and told me to go talk to The Great Spirit of the Sioux which didn't go so well, she talked to him on my behalf, and then a one page invocation in verse flowed out of me ( I wish I could have written that down), the first council of all gods was convened, I stated my case, eventually all gods agreed with me, a nice visit to Valhalla ensued where a sword called Hope: Slayer of all gods was forged for me, at the Universe's behest the gates of hell were stormed and defeated and after that things settled down.

I kept having personal subjective experiences for a bit involving the Universe and eventually worked out through research that I should through spiritual activity generate more brain chemicals that induce altered states of consciousness and ride this journey out to its conclusion. I found (being out of work at the time) that praying my stream of thought and singing when when I was at a loss for words worked really well.

Eventually (due to simplifications in my personal beliefs) I reduced my "self" into a state of union with Love. Found and rescued Love and then descended into the underworld and had some nice talks with Adam and Eve and after that things returned to normal.

I eventually worked out that I could create imaginary scenarios inside myself and turned that into a form of therapy (Thank god I had a rough working knowledge of Carl Jung's work at the time).

Worst part of this was going through it alone because I had no frame of reference for this
until I started researching these types of experiences. I will say that the Great Mother experiences were the most moving and beautiful.

Thanks and have a great day.

Dyre42
Associate

Post by Dyre42 »

On a side note I have after some time worked out that there MAY be some sort of genetic predisposition to shamanistic experiences in that my mother has them within her context and I had them within my own.