Scientology

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Re: Tom Cruise, I've always wondered at what level the Scientologists teach members to jump on couches... :roll:

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

I dont know which one is more funny, Tom Cruise or me spending time learning about him :lol: . Anyway i searched some more videos and he said psychiatry is a pseudo science ofcrouse then that made me (for some reason) search some more and in another video i saw that he was asking forgiveness because he didnt believe those stuff anymore. Talk about responsibility and being weird and i thought i was weird.. thats some bad role model with the power of media makes him dangerous too. I still though cant believe that guy makes 20mil+ per movie :?

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

So she sent me the DVD anyway. Fed Ex overnight. :roll:

Check out the cover of the DVD: LINK.

Hail Caesar!

They have to be kidding. I admit to a mild curiosity as to the DVD content. But after seeing that pic, that curiosity completely evaporated.

Oh... she wrote a note that she'd call after giving me time to view it.

Really, I feel like someone's trying to convince me to get back on the tricycle. :lol:
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

I'm tolerant of religious folks until they head my way and get pushy. Your threshold of tolerance must be far higher than mine, Clemsy. "Not interested" means "not interested" the first and only time that I'm willing to say so, and I would've returned that package unopened. Have fun! :P

Cindy

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Check out the cover of the DVD:
Yikes! Run for the hills! This guy looks like my boss' boss' boss' boss.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

Check out the cover of the DVD:
Is that Joel Osteen's brother? :shock:
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

:lol:

It's not that I'm being tolerant, Cindy. Right now I'm more bemused than anything. If she does call back I'll say something like, "Hey, send an explorer out into the Wog World (that's what they call the non-Scientology environment) and poll reactions to that picture. You guys are out of touch. I can't believe your marketing people thought that would attract the type of people you claim to want. As for me, I haven't been 20 for 33 years. Take care. Any further phone calls will be hung up with extreme prejudice."

I predict I will have to hang up on her a bunch of times before they give up. Just the way they are. Good thing I don't take reincarnation literally. (They do.) They'd try to track me down next go 'round.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Uh, "Wog World"? Please do explain, Clemsy, what "wog" means. Sheesh...

Cindy

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Amongst Scientologists, wog is used as a disparaging word for non-scientologists.[4] Scientology's founder L. Ron Hubbard defined wog as a "common, everyday garden-variety humanoid ... He 'is' a body. [He] doesn't know he's there, etc. He isn't there as a spirit at all. He is not operating as a thetan. The term comes from 'Worthy Oriental Gentleman', from the days of the British in Egypt. [sic]"[5]

L. Ron Hubbard employed the term frequently in his lectures and writings.[6]

Since wog is not in general use in American English, it is most likely that Hubbard picked it up during his period of service as a US naval officer during World War II (1941-1945). An alternative source would be England, where he resided 1953-1966.

In Scientology, wog lacks racist overtones, even in the UK where that meaning is prevalent. From a 2004 Church of Scientology magazine: "I arrived at Saint Hill shy, introverted and somewhat out of valence. I had been working at a wog job, and I knew my priorities had to change ..."[7]
This is from Wiki... says it all. Standard way to define the Other, much like pagan to a Christian.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

...In Scientology, wog lacks racist overtones...
Really. Seems to me to be a universally discriminatory term... Anyway, that Scientology is recognized as a religion from the legal standpoint, i.e., tax exempt status, is indicative of a worldwide fog, I think. :wink:

Cindy

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

I thought maybe we would allow Mr. Sagan into the conversation since the one thing that is popping into my mind more frequently as each fact about Scientology comes out is "DELUDED!!!!"....
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan
It never ceases to amaze me how we, as a collective, can delude ourselves in an effort to concretize (is this a word?) the universe. It seems that one needs something other than intelligence, intuition, knowledge, education...etc, to see metaphorical concepts as metaphors; because plenty of smart, insightful, and educated folks are completely deluded.

One of the keys to removing delusion is critical thought. Skepticism, which is often called cynicism by those who do not challenge any belief other than their own, seems to be losing a foothold in our thinking processes. Are we teaching our young people too much conformity? I am not just speaking about how we formally educate, but the messages that are placed into the minds of young people via books, movies, television, magazines...all the various media.

I see one of the biggest contributing factors to this being our increasing ability to surround ourselves with materials that only serve our own beliefs. Whether it is a political, religious, or any other concept, we can filter out what we do not want to see and over-validate that which we do want to believe. This seems to be the other side of the sword which has freed us from historical "facts" that turned out to be pure propaganda.
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

So am I a wog or a “woggle”? It kind of sounds synonymous with “muggle” from Harry Potter. :D :wink:

Although it may not be an “official” condescending term, I think in context the person saying the word would consider himself/herself “above” the commoners.

Mmmmm….seems like “Ubermensch” mentality? :?

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

JJ Wrote
It never ceases to amaze me how we, as a collective, can delude ourselves in an effort to concretize (is this a word?) the universe. It seems that one needs something other than intelligence, intuition, knowledge, education...etc, to see metaphorical concepts as metaphors; because plenty of smart, insightful, and educated folks are completely deluded.
Somehow irrational beliefs determines the “logical thought process” and this seems to be independent of the amount of “stuff” people can learn. However, IMHO, people seem to refuse to learn anything that conflicts with their “beliefs”.
One of the keys to removing delusion is critical thought. Skepticism, which is often called cynicism by those who do not challenge any belief other than their own, seems to be losing a foothold in our thinking processes. Are we teaching our young people too much conformity? I am not just speaking about how we formally educate, but the messages that are placed into the minds of young people via books, movies, television, magazines...all the various media.
Mass Media is the Pied Piper of deception. CYA-Challenge Your Assumptions.

I
see one of the biggest contributing factors to this being our increasing ability to surround ourselves with materials that only serve our own beliefs. Whether it is a political, religious, or any other concept, we can filter out what we do not want to see and over-validate that which we do want to believe. This seems to be the other side of the sword which has freed us from historical "facts" that turned out to be pure propaganda.
Unfortunately, people will sell you what you want to hear. Plenty of marketing opportunities available.

Uh ho… I feel another Men w/o Hats quote (I guess I’m on a roll lately).
Communication is hard to establish
When things like a state of mind get in the way
People don't eat they just think what you feed them now
The horse with the blinders eating the hay

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

This blog's wog fog boggles the muggles.......(please add more)..... :roll:
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene