Supernatural American God

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

squirrelguirrel

Supernatural American God

Post by squirrelguirrel »

I just read about the cargo cult of "John Frum" practiced by some people on the pacific island of Tanna. Is anyone familiar with it? (If you aren't, it's a religious cult that is essentially a product of European and US missionary and WWII military intervention. Very interesting. Read this BBC article. I don't want to post the content without permission)

Seems John Frum would make an excellent case study in the development of myth & religion, like the island of Surtsey is an excellent study of ecosystem development. I think it is fascinating to see a "return of the messiah" myth developed from tracable historical events. The environmental connection is fascinating too, with John Frum's spirit residing in the volcano.

What do you think it says about the human need to create myth? What about the tendancy to believe in a supernatural benefactor? Do you think that this gives perspective to the historical development other myths (especially our own), or is it too isolated to teach broad lessons? Are there any Campbell writings on this topic? It seems to be right up his alley.

The Cove
Associate

Post by The Cove »

What do you think it says about the human need to create myth?
It is the definition but not the truth.
What about the tendancy to believe in a supernatural benefactor?
That is reflex.
Do you think that this gives perspective to the historical development other myths (especially our own), or is it too isolated to teach broad lessons?
It gives perspective.
Are there any Campbell writings on this topic?
Any book by him would shed some light on it.