Magical Egypt - videos

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

tat tvam asi
Associate

Magical Egypt - videos

Post by tat tvam asi »

Here's a series by John Anthony West that goes over some of the controversial issues about how much knowledge may have gone into the construction of the Pyramids and Temples in Egypt. This is a close look at the interconnectedness of religion and science in the ancient world:

Episode 1

Episode 2

Epidode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Eposide 7

Episode 8
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Scholars conjecture that a sense of divinity in Nature co-evolved with the first emergence of human consciousness, perhaps 100,000 years ago. The earliest god was Nature."

As far back as we are able to look into the past, says historian Colin Wilson, "human beings seem to have worshipped nature, and connected it to a higher spiritual reality, which they called god or the divine."

Samarra
MRT Leader

Post by Samarra »

Wow! These are very cool! Thanks so much for posting them, tev tvam asi, and being the good sharer that thou art. ;-)

P.S. 5 8 13 21 34 55

tat tvam asi
Associate

Post by tat tvam asi »

This is a really interesting series indeed. :wink:
"Scholars conjecture that a sense of divinity in Nature co-evolved with the first emergence of human consciousness, perhaps 100,000 years ago. The earliest god was Nature."

As far back as we are able to look into the past, says historian Colin Wilson, "human beings seem to have worshipped nature, and connected it to a higher spiritual reality, which they called god or the divine."

Samarra
MRT Leader

Meme to a New Mythology

Post by Samarra »

I was particularly interested in the concept of the “meme” as it pertains to the passing on of religious ideology and custom. Being an engineer, I like the idea of these little atomic ideas being passed on from one person to the next, and on a molecular level, from one society to the next. And, just like genes, they mutate over time, not necessarily to the benefit of the host.

The Egyptian faith was rooted in the mathematics of nature (i.e. Fibonacci Sequence). So powerful was the meme, that it has lasted for thousands of years. Of course today, in a society where we are so disconnected from nature, the myth has lost most of its power. We rarely look up at the stars and ponder the mysteries of the ancients.

We’ve seen many slow changes in society since the Egyptians, but with the birth of the Internet and blogging, there are billions of memes spreading out there like viruses. So many in fact, that it is impossible to focus long enough on one idea to have it concretize into a myth.

JC essentially said this in his Power of Myth interview. He also said that when the time is right, the symbol of the Earth will most likely become the icon for a new myth… a myth about the planet.

Take a look at my avatar to the left. It is my own personal meme that I put out into the world. Perhaps it will spread, or perhaps not. JC was keen to point out that no one can predict a myth. So, I will let the collective consciousness of the universe decide if the time is right to let that seed grow. :D

tat tvam asi
Associate

Post by tat tvam asi »

I like how they go over the dieing and rising sun motif in episode 6 as well. He really hit on something in terms of how we used think in terms of dieing and rising but the focus is changing to permanence now. Seeing the eternal in all the forms and images of time. Honestly, as we approach the Aquarian Age the focus should change from finite and separateness thinking to Global, Universal, and Eternal thought. The Uga Cycles spoken of in episode 3 seem to point at that. Moving out of the Kali Uga and into the Dwapara Yuga should bring about a much more enlightened sense of things the world over if there's anything to the Uga conception of time.