One Mythology - One Religion - One Cosmology - One People

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Native
Associate

One Mythology - One Religion - One Cosmology - One People

Post by Native »

Dear Staff and Members of the Joseph Campbell Foundation!

- I’m looking very much forward to participate in this Forum, which I found this very day!

At last I´ve found a Forum which seemingly suites my best wishes for asking mythological and religious questions.

- Why is it that the Creation Myths are so similar all over the World? Why is it that the answers are so difficult to find? One should otherwise assume that the answers should be fairly easy to find when our Ancestors all over the World seemingly knew the common answers to the common questions?

Once upon a time, Mythology was The Common Global Knowledge. Can it be the case that this knowledge still can be counted for? Can it even be compared to Modern Science of Astronomy and Cosmology and still reveal some common facts?

- In my opinion it really can! And even more so: The Ancient Way of Knowledge is, in my opinion, far more Holistic and Universal compared to the measuring results and Hypothesis of Modern Cosmology.

The results of several Modern Scientific Branches are dots which can be used in order to understand the Telling of Mythology. And when doing so, it reveals stunningly easy answers to the questions above.

I wish everyone a Very Warm Welcome to browse my websites and have a look for yourselves at:

http://www.native-science.net
(Mythology compared to Cosmology)

- I hope to have some very fruitful discussions to the benefit for the Common Global Ideas and Understanding. And i also hope my contribution on this Forum is living up to the Spirit of Joseph John Campbell and to the Staff and Members of this Forum.

See you on the Forum - Enjoy!

NB: Consider this: The contents on my websites on goes changes accordingly to my continuously better view and understanding of the subjects. Also please consider that my native language is Danish and my English vocabulary is somewhat restricted.
Last edited by Native on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Ivar Nielsen

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Hi Native.

I'm curious, is this the first time you've heard of Joseph Campbell?

Native
Associate

Hello Neoplato,

Post by Native »

Thanks for asking.

I have googled "comparative mythology" several times, but for some odd reason I didn´t notice The Joseph Campbell Foundation before today.

But I´m sure it is all worth waiting for.

I´m looking forward to further response if you like, Neoplato
Last edited by Native on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Ivar Nielsen

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

More specifically, have you ever heard about the person Joseph Campbell, read any of his books or seen the PBS interview back in the 1980s?

Native
Associate

Post by Native »

No to all questions, Neoplato!

In fact, it´s a long time ago since I´ve read a book. If I put myself together, I`m able to read shorter texts when I have to and I prefer to "read Symbols" which comes more naturally for me.

And don´t ask me to understand a mathematical equation either . . . I´m totally lost when I´m looking at cosmological and astrophysical equations . . .

But I´ve just now read the story of Joseph Campbell on this site, and I´m very pleased to read of his already childhood fascination of the Native Americans - that´s just my own words in my welcome on www.native-science.net

Neoplato, if you feel for it, tell me about your interests!
Last edited by Native on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Ivar Nielsen

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

The reason I asked is that I also came to the same basic ideas and understandings BEFORE I was introduced to Joseph Campbell. I find it fascinating that two people a half a world apart, through their own reasoning, end up at this website which is a conformation of everything I now believe in. I used different words to express the same ideas, but the concepts remained the same. That's why interpretation of language is so important.

I haven't looked into the Native American myths in depth, but from the surface I find them intriguing. Researching and comparing religions and myths has been consuming most of my free time.

You many want to visit my website www.ontologyforum.com and see if this is in line with your philosophy. I glanced at your website, but I'll take some time to explore it and then we can compare notes.

Native
Associate

Post by Native »

Neoplato, I agree on the fascination of finding peoples on different kontinents with the same ideas - that´s just what Comparative Mythology really are dealing with, right?

Not just about you and me on different locations on different kontinents feeling the very same - but ALL people ALL over the Earth feeling and knowing the very same. Because we ALL have the very same Story of Creation in the same Galaxy in the same Solar System.

I´ll hurry to have a browse on your site, preparing myself for some further common joys!

Se you again soon!
Regards Ivar Nielsen

Native
Associate

Post by Native »

OK Neoplato!

How lucky can one be on the very same day?

I see what you mean!

My possibilities for meeting Likewise Spirits has increased unbelievable in just one day!

Thanks for that! I´ll get back to your site later on!
Regards Ivar Nielsen

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Whew! It looks like it's going to take me a good amount of time to get through your website. I'm trying to see if you hit upon a few key concepts about religion. As far as I can tell , our philosophies are in line.

Native
Associate

Post by Native »

NB to my introduction above:

Later editing:

Thinking of how outright scaring my first spiritual visions was and how strong they affected me, it may be the right thing to mention this:

Be aware of a possible spiritual influence when reading the content of my websites. Let me know if it happens!

Mail to: nielsen.ivar(at)gmail.com
Regards Ivar Nielsen

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

I've finished the Megaliths. Nothing scary yet. I'm thinking that people who have never considered these ideas before may find these concepts "scary" or "enlightening", but I've been a veteran now for some time. You definitely have a more Norse and Cosmic perspective, but there is no significant difference in the concepts. I'm reading on.

Myrtle
Associate

Re: One Mythology - One Religion - One Cosmology - One Peopl

Post by Myrtle »

Native wrote:Why is it that the Creation Myths are so similar all over the World?
Hi Native,

Joseph Campbell discusses the similarities of myths in the book The Power of Myth with Bill Moyers (pages 51-52)
Moyers: How do you explain these similarities?

Campbell: There are two explanations. One explanation is that the human psyche is essentially the same all over the world. The psyche is the inward experience of the human body, which is essentially the same in all human beings, with the same organs, the same instincts, the same impulses, the same conflicts, the same fears. Out of this common ground have come what Jung has called the archetypes, which are the common ideas of myths.

... All over the world and at different times of human history, these archetypes, or elementary ideas, have appeared in different costumes. The differences in the costumes are the results of environment and historical conditions...Now, there is also a countertheory of diffusion to account for the similarity of myths... So there are historical as well as psychological aspects of this problem of the similarity of myths.

Native
Associate

Post by Native »

Hello Myrtle, and thanks for replying!

Firstly: I really appreciate the Works of Joseph Campbell! Well done!

"Campbell: There are two explanations. One explanation is that the human psyche is essentially the same all over the world. The psyche is the inward experience of the human body, which is essentially the same in all human beings, . . ". Agreed, but HOW COME?

"Out of this common ground have come what Jung has called the archetypes, which are the common ideas of myths." Agreed, but HOW COME?

Myrtle, as described on my website - http://www.native-science.net/Introduction.htm - I had some spontanious (And somewhat scaring - Neoplato is probably right in his assumption: Because of the simple lack of knowing this possibility) out-of-body experiences in 1979 which I tryed to understand via the dream "interpretation system" of Jung, but nobody could tell me what I had experienced. On the contrary, I was in fact in riscs for being led quite astray, which I luckely discovered fairly soon.

For many years I´ve struggled to find out - and found out, that all the answers have to come from the Native Way of understanding the Creation.

That´s just why I´m happy to be on this Joseph Campbell Forum, reading his great fascination of the Native American.

I´m now on my way trying to get out of "the mystery wardrobe of not understood dreams and visions". "Archetypes" means now to me: "Cosmical forces with their special Creative energies interacting in the Creation of Light and Matter".

"That´s Cosmology and Astrophysics", you might say. Yes it is - and so is Mythology really too, in my understanding of Mythology, the once upon a time 1 Story of Everything.

With Joseph Campbell: "The psyche is the inward experience of the human body, which is essentially the same in all human beings", agreed!

But the "inward experience" in the smaller Psyche is connected to the "Greater Cosmic Spirits/Energies" outside the Psyche. Because we all are a result of, with myself and all Native People: "Cosmic forces with their special Creative energies interacting in the Creation of Light and Matter".

In my opinion, it´s all a question of the Psyche, the inside Spirit, being reconnected to the outside Greater Spirits. The individ to the Earth, the Earth to the Sun, the Sun to Solar System, the Solar System to our Galaxy, the . . .

Myrtle, I´m looking very much forward to your response - and maybe to further discussions on the subjects of Mythology, Dreams and Visions, Native Knowledge, Archetypes and "Cosmic Energies".

Once again thanks for the reply!
Regards Ivar Nielsen

bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss »

Neoplato wrote:The reason I asked is that I also came to the same basic ideas and understandings BEFORE I was introduced to Joseph Campbell. I find it fascinating that two people a half a world apart, through their own reasoning, end up at this website which is a conformation of everything I now believe in. I used different words to express the same ideas, but the concepts remained the same. That's why interpretation of language is so important..
What a sweet conversation that's unfolding.

I do think Neoplato arrives at an important observation regarding his and Native's experience. My own introduction to Campbell and that of so many others echo that pattern - the "aha!" moment we experience on first hearing or reading Joe's work isn't because he's teaching something brand new, but because he's putting into words thoughts and understandings we have arrived at through our own perceptions, studies, and life experiences. When I first encountered Campbell, I was excited because he was able to express and crystallize ideas that had been floating in my heart and my head for a long time - a powerful affirmation of what I already believed.

And that may be the "power" of myth - or of J.C.'s reading of myth: not that we are to "follow" him, but rather that he inspires us to give voice to our own beliefs and understandings, and have confidence in our own experience.

Thanks everyone for sharing your inspirations and enthusiasm - your wonder and passion prove contagious, and I'm going to have a better day because of it.

Mitakaye Oyasin,
bodhibliss

Native
Associate

Post by Native »

Dear Mitakaye Oyasin - alias Bodhibliss!

Qoute:
"Thanks everyone for sharing your inspirations and enthusiasm - your wonder and passion prove contagious, and I'm going to have a better day because of it".

Thanks for replying and for your kind - contaging - words! You´ve made my day too!

Please tell us how the contaging goes on - and how you came this long! And where you are heading. And , and, and . . . tell us if you like to!

Peace and Love from Ivar!

NB: What are your favorite webs besides this one, Mitakaye?

(Please anyone: How does the insert qouting works?)
Regards Ivar Nielsen