Origin??'s of myths

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

jhbuddha
Associate

Origin??'s of myths

Post by jhbuddha »

This is just a possible theory that has come to focus with the consideration of some combined information that very few are willing to consider or that most know about.
There is an author Zechariah Sitchin who has several books that originate from information found in the clay cuneiform tablets found in Sumeria. These tablets have have been confirmed as the oldest recorded pieces of information that we know about.
That is where the Epic of Gilgamesh is found. Included is a depictation of the solar system that shows an additional planet. This planet, known as Nibiru or planet X and as interpreted from the information in the 27 tablets discovered; is supposed to have collided with Earth. That is the origin of our present moon.

Here is the good part, Nibiru was inhabited by a reptilian species; the Nephilim; that was far advanced and performed Genetic experiments which created a mixed species. The Nephilim apparently had abilities beyond that of mortals and the new species had partial abilities. and there the remaining genetic species began to breed (mortals). Gilgamesh was a " demi-god". While the Nephilim could be immortal the demi-gods were not and Gilgamesh set out on his epic to obtain full power and become a god like the Nephilim.
Where did the God concept come from? Is this a possible answer.
Why do I explain all of this, since this is the earliest known story told, perhaps it is possible that the information was not just fiction but true or partially true. Is it possible that this is the foundation of the serpent and the role played in the bible.
Gilgamesh is a hero's journey story and in the epic there are many subplots, all of which go to be the origin of many other fables and legends and myths and stories in the bible. Review the apochraphyl Book of Enoch - reference the Grigori(the watchers) -fallen "angels " sent to watch over man who eventually mated with men. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori.

Joe Campbell explained the archetype of the unconscious (the mental construction of mankind - even in different locations and cultures the need to have the same cultural structures and beliefs). Since this is the oldest known documentation it is still unclear as to whether this is from the mind of man or is this a story that has been passed down that subconsciously makes man have a need to think the way he does? Did this really happen?
A scholar once said that "We are a species with amnesia". Apparently there was a need and desire to record information because of this text as well as the Egyptian hieroglyphics and other ancient texts are proof of. considering the time frame these records come from - who is to say that keeping documented records was not being maintained far before these - only we do not have the records/information. Were they destroyed.

More important is the understanding that the myths, stories, legends originated not from the primary source that most people think that they did.
from this perspective ( if you read the Epic of Gilgamesh as well as the apochraphyl text of the bible- written in the 1st person) you begin to question were god's real not just an abstract concept? was Zeus, Hercules and Poseidon real and were these true stories. Why were these stories recorded and protected and saved is the question. Did mere pieces of literature serve such an important function so as to be saved translated and used as a foundation for religion or were they true . It’s not that I am the first to ask these questions but it seems that most people have stopped asking questions at all and just accept these things as (in some cases) spiritual facts.
How come they were not stories like may had a little lamb. or an instruction on how to build a hut.
If that information was saved- why is it that as a culture these particular stories were saved and why are they all intermingled with the same important focal points - Anakin Skywalker and his virgin birth story, Mary and Jesus back to Isis and Horace. The flood myth which is spread all around the world under different names.
If the Bible is plagiarized, which it seems to be, which means that the origin of (in the west) these stories takes on a whole new meaning.
What do you think?
INCLUSION OF ALL MEANS TOTAL UNDERSTANDAING

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

Where did the God concept come from? Hmmm. How about this?*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMjTSJR3M6M

*The poster (me) of this video makes no claims as to the empirical nature of the hypothesis that primates gave us religion. But it is fun to watch. :wink:
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

I think that goes to show that somehow we a pre-programmed to accept a "leader". Which I guess also implies that we are easily brainwashed and have a desire to please the "leader". It could explain why humans tend to make gods in "human" form. There's got to be some truth in the video, animals usually do have contests to see who becomes the "dominent" one.

I think I've heard something about the "lizardmen" before. It does account for our dislike of serpants and dragons (and don't forget about "V" in the 80s"). The problem is that any concept we have about "aliens" is that they are very much "earthlike". Four appendages, two eyes, feet, etc..

I'll defer to Joseph Campbell on this one. He said something like:

When you believe the metaphors are real, then you're in trouble.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Neoplato wrote:I think that goes to show that somehow we a pre-programmed to accept a "leader". Which I guess also implies that we are easily brainwashed and have a desire to please the "leader".
Dawkins has a similar hypothesis:

Human children are born very vulnerable and remain so for a good number of years.
There would be an evolutionary advantage, if the young child unquestioningly obeyed the parents (were programmed by).
If some meme (say religion, I know waca, waca ....) was inserted into the parents consciousness, then this would be propagated through the child-parent relationship

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Romansh Wrote:
If some meme (say religion, I know waca, waca ....) was inserted into the parents consciousness, then this would be propagated through the child-parent relationship
I think I've got the concept of memes now. I just needed my own metaphor. :D

I agree, the first reinforcement of the socialization process is the child-parent relationship. One meme I am greatful that my parents gave me is financial responsibility. They could have left the Roman Catholic stuff out.

So I guess we humans are always looking for the "parent" to protect us and shelter us, or in other words a feeling of safety and security. Of course then you get these Cult leaders, who use fear and religion to fill this need, and before you know it, everyone is drinking the Kool Aide (or marrying their cousins :) ).
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.