How would you answer this question?

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

...I thought you claimed that it is your ability to reason that keeps you and many others away from organised religion. -Evinnra
Yes, reason has moved my thinking in a direction that appreciates some of the metaphorical aspects of religion, but quite skeptical about the efficacy of organized religion; and comfortable existing without a god-driven deterministic universe.

The real point I was trying to make was that a great many, in my view -the majority-, of those who subscribe to organized religious systems are not willing to do the work of exploring all the possible options, including not believing in supernatural creation. As I said before, in the case of many (definitely you, Evinnra) who migrate here, this is not so. For instance, in the Islamic traditions, to question god is punishable by death...no quarter.

It is not my place to judge it either way I guess, but I do think there is something to be said for considering all sides to a proposition. Blind faith, in my view, is just that...blind.
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra »

Well, JJ, religious belief had been quite rightly accused of 'explaining too much'. But so is science ‘explaining too much’ if we rely solely on scientific explanations to make sense of our world. In other words, neglecting to be open, not wanting to learn is not a healthy way to live our lives. The same way as bible bashers wall in them selves from the world so do extreme pragmatists who deliberately ignore to explore ways for further growth. No? :wink:
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

Absolutely...I have known more than a few Zealot scientists! The only caveat to that statement is that I believe it is crucial to question accepted "facts" or beliefs. Most organized religion has not done a good job of this...primarily because they have hinged their whole systems on the "written word of god". So we have those who still cling to the metaphor as fact.

On the other side, too many think that a "proven" fact of science is all that is required to know our world, completely ignoring the spiritual aspects of existence. This really is, in my view, just as big of a mistake.

The good news is that there are systems on both sides of this that see a middle way...which, again in my view, is the best option...at least for today! Tomorrow is tomorrow!
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra »

Yeah, the problem is that so called middle ways or compromises are unsatisfactory targets to aim for.
So, people select to go either right or left, either religious or atheist and we end up somewhere in between. The direction is a choice the real outcome isn't. Right?
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Evinnra Wrote:
Yeah, the problem is that so called middle ways or compromises are unsatisfactory targets to aim for.
As for me, I never "aimed" anywhere. But then again, am I walking some kind of "middle path" or something totally different? To me it seems like I'm somewhere in the middle, but that is only after long hours of contemplation, and renouncing socially accepted ideas.

Of course it's just as easy to label me a heretic and dismiss me as an oddball. :D
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

richard silliker
Associate

Post by richard silliker »

Evinnra wrote:Yeah, the problem is that so called middle ways or compromises are unsatisfactory targets to aim for. So, people select to go either right or left, either religious or atheist and we end up somewhere in between. The direction is a choice the real outcome isn't. Right?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All metaphors yearn for implementation. You express to acquire. Should your intuition be robust enough you may have made the choice that gives you what you want.
RS

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hey Richard! Let me assist you with the quote function. I find the easiest method is to paste the quote in your reply box, highlight the quote, then hit the quote button. Voila!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

richard silliker
Associate

Hey Richard! Let me assist you with the quote function. I find the easiest method is to paste the quote in your reply box, highlight the quote, then hit the quote button. Voila!
Thank you
RS

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

8)

richard silliker
Associate

Jesus loves you. (Cthulhu thinks you taste like chicken.)
The experiences of others have been that I taste like cow.
RS

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

That's better than bull!

Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra »

Neoplato wrote:Evinnra Wrote:
As for me, I never "aimed" anywhere. But then again, am I walking some kind of "middle path" or something totally different? To me it seems like I'm somewhere in the middle, but that is only after long hours of contemplation, and renouncing socially accepted ideas.

Of course it's just as easy to label me a heretic and dismiss me as an oddball. :D
You an oddball? Dear oh dear me, if you are an oddball then what am I? :shock:
(From your posts so far you seem to be the most normal person I have ever came across, so what does this say about me? )

As for me, I always have a goal in the back of my mind, but the timing must be right to pounce and grab what I want, so I often end up looking like if I were inactive or even depressed. I don't make compromises - or at least that is what I tell my self - but select what seems like the better approach at present to reach those BIG targets. If there is nothing to do I do nothing, if there is just some little things to further my 'cause' I do the little things and when there is something huge to do BECAUSE the time is right I do huge things. (In other words, I do prioritise/select in every single instant I experience as present, and aim for the better rather than the worse. Making value jusdgement is requisite for my existence 24/7.)

It comes as quite a surprise to me that you claim you have not aimed anywhere! How do you get out of bed in the morning without having something to aim for? :?
You MUST have at least a general idea of WHAT you want from this life, you just not willing to 'share'? :wink:

Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra »

richard silliker wrote:
All metaphors yearn for implementation. You express to acquire. Should your intuition be robust enough you may have made the choice that gives you what you want.
RS
Precisely!

We are in a garden of treasures here on the JCF board. So glad you joined us RS :D

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Evinnra Wrote:
You an oddball? Dear oh dear me, if you are an oddball then what am I?
(From your posts so far you seem to be the most normal person I have ever came across, so what does this say about me? )
Whoa...Scary! However, being considered "normal" by your definition is comforting. At least I know I'm not the "only one". :wink:
It comes as quite a surprise to me that you claim you have not aimed anywhere! How do you get out of bed in the morning without having something to aim for?

Well, as for spirituality I aimed no where. This was more like a stream of consciousness for me. One piece leading to another and then another and so forth.

As for "goal setting" within society, I did plan that out. I think I started when I was 6 years old. I became obsessed with math, and I've benefitted from that ever since.

As for my societal goal, I've hit the bullseye. I've become a master of the beans. Although I could become a "grand master" I choose not to because that would compromise too much of my personal philosophy.

So how do I get myself out of bed? Just on the hope that something good may happen. I could always win the lottery. :wink:
You MUST have at least a general idea of WHAT you want from this life, you just not willing to 'share'?
Yes, I've always wanted to play music (remember; music, math and mysticism). That is my bliss. I think I've satisfied two out of my three obsessions, but music was always my first love.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra »

So how do I get myself out of bed? Just on the hope that something good may happen. I could always win the lottery. :wink: - Neoplato

:lol: 8) Clever chap! Just don't tell about this to anyone .... :wink: (It would jinx it!)