Mystery Revisted...First Function of Myth

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

jd,

I'm curious about your son's reaction to this film, particularly since he's so very young. I bring this up since elsewhere on the board there's been discussion about mythical thinking and its expression during the natural course of psychic development. At four years old, your son is at the age when mythical thinking--what psychologists also refer to as "magical thinking"--is very much an element of his mental life. I, anyway, would find it interesting to hear how this film seemed to resonate with him, that is, if you'd like to share. And thanks. :)

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

I’ll bust in here and talk about my approach. I’m teaching my son that life is made up of the four elements (Air, Earth, Fire, Water) and that ether is the unseen force that moves us. He calls this the “Ghost”. I teach him that there are good people and bad people. The good people help other people and the bad people hurt other people. I’ve also taught him that the Earth is alive and gets mad when people hurt it.

I haven’t got any notes from the teachers yet. I guess it’s only a matter of time. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

How old is your son, Neoplato?

Cindy

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

My son is 7. I'm trying to keep him "religion neutral" as much as possible. His favorite TV show is "AVATAR" so that helps a bit. They even taljk about the chakras.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Seven is a fun age for a parent. Actually, anytime pre-puberty is a breeze... :lol: I'm out of the loop now when it comes to kids' shows, but I think that I might have noticed Avatar. Is that the show where the main character has the odd marking on his head?

Cindy

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Yes. That's ANG the last air bender (the Avatar). He has an arrow tattoo on his head. He has to figure out how to defeat the Fire Lord without killing him.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

8)

jd101
Associate

Post by jd101 »

First to Andreas, thanks for the link…Again I am reminded of Indra’s net of gems…It is just amazing to me that we are living in a time when all we have to do is have a thought about any subject and we can go to the ‘net’ and thoroughly research it.

And Cindy, yes, 4 years old is a very magical age. Tristan’s immediate reaction to Ponyo was that he liked the part when the fish turned into a girl. I couldn’t elicit much more out of him on this one, except to say that what he really loves are the songs in these films…

So now he is incessantly singing (in broken Japanese)
Ponyo Ponyo Ponyo sakana no ko
Aoi umi kara yatte kita.

I also have a 16 year old boy who lives with his mom in New Hampshire. Growing up with Dakota I was more actively focused on ‘teaching him stuff’ as an approach. With Tristan, our time is spent more in singing and laughing.

I am again reminded of Campbell’s story of the Shinto priest responding to the Western scholar’s remarks after witnessing several Shinto rituals that he didn’t understand their Theology. The Priest’s said apologetically, we have no Theology, we dance.
john

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Your son sounds adorable, jd, enjoy! My girls were the same when they were young, always singing. Fortunately they've never stopped. 8)

Cindy

jd101
Associate

Post by jd101 »

Today I was searching the forums for some help in understanding the first function of myth.

For whatever reason this was the thread that I clicked on. What a surprise! Five years has gone by since I started this thread and I must admit that I have definitely forgotten more than I have learned.

I definitely forgot most of what I had written back then.

I have a new project that I am working on titled "The Myth of Yoga", so if anyone wants to see the first offerings let me know and I'll provide a link.

I hope all of the people on this forum thread are alive and well, and while the challenges of life and raising a now 9 year old son are all consuming such that I rarely get to visit the jcf forum, I do miss the interaction with you all and wish you all the very best.
john

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hi, jd, how cool to see you again. 8)

It sounds as if all's going well for you and yours, and I wish you the very best with your project. Down the road should you have the time, please do come back and spend more time with us.

:)