More of let's get back to the Koran, Bible, ect.

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

drichards
Associate

More of let's get back to the Koran, Bible, ect.

Post by drichards »

Man stoned to death for adultery
Somali man stoned to death, pregnant girlfriend spared until she gives birth.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8347216.stm

noman
Associate

Post by noman »

Drichards,

The article says Somalia hasn't had a functioning government for 18 years. Under those circumstances I really don't think a myth/ritual system as I call it will matter one way or another in Somalia or anywhere else. 'If men were angels' Madison wrote, 'no government would be necessary'. Whether a government free, lawless nation is better or worse off with a mythology such as Christianity or Islam is not even worth considering.

- NoMan

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

At the same time, though, al Qaeda has a strong presence in Somalia, so no internal checks on Islamic extremism exist either. I don't really know what's happening there for sure, but it's reasonable to assume that desperate folks living within a context of perpetual fear will naturally gravitate toward a group identity that provides them with a sense of meaningful control and power over their lives. This is a generalization, of course, so I'm not suggesting that every Somalian might compensate in this way, but many likely do.

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung