What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

BambooMoon
Associate

Post by BambooMoon »

The word Avatar is taken from Hindu mythology meaning someone (Krishna, Rama) is the incarnation of god (Vishnu). A select few humans (in the film) enter a body (an avatar) that is a mixture of human and Na'vi DNA to enter the Na'vi world. The film, the hero, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), tells other humans to wake up, pointing to enlightenment. At the end when Jake finally becomes one as a Na'vi he is totally self-realized, his consciousness has become one with the Na'vi. That is the new mythology the film Avatar is puting forward. We cannot become enlightened as greedy, materialistic, self-serving egoistic humans. We need to experience our true being as one with everything.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hello BambooMoon, and welcome to the JCF Forums! Please let me know if you have any questions about the place.

Would you do us a favor? We already have two Avatar threads going and seems to me your post here fits quite well in the Avatar and the sense of loss of mythology in modern times thread. Would you mind copy/pasting your post over there? Otherwise we'll have two parallel threads going.

Thanks!
Clemsy
JCF Moderator
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Ercan2121
Associate

Re: Avatar as embodiment

Post by Ercan2121 »

BambooMoon wrote:We need to experience our true being as one with everything.
We also need to experience our compassionate and wholistic animal nature :)