Is God Irrelevant? - article on "apatheism"

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

boringguy
Associate

Post by boringguy »

Clemsy,

Got a copy of it in the mail Friday but havent had time to watch it yet. From the comments here, I'm looking forward to it.

bg

tat tvam asi
Associate

Post by tat tvam asi »

I haven't seen it yet. I just watched the youtube trailer and it looks interesting. I came into Campbell originally while visiting a friend who was attending the University of Florida. He put in the Heros Journey DVD and I was interested immediately. I hadn't heard anyone put an emphasis on metaphor because I was raised in literalism and had long since rejected the literalism as a lie and went atheist. The issue never even came up until I heard Campbell talking about it. So I started reading the books. It was person to person all the way. And then I started showing people the HJ DVD who I thought would be interested and capable of understanding.
"Scholars conjecture that a sense of divinity in Nature co-evolved with the first emergence of human consciousness, perhaps 100,000 years ago. The earliest god was Nature."

As far back as we are able to look into the past, says historian Colin Wilson, "human beings seem to have worshipped nature, and connected it to a higher spiritual reality, which they called god or the divine."