discussion on octavius and how was jesus killed

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

crownrock82
Associate

discussion on octavius and how was jesus killed

Post by crownrock82 »

I was taught that he was hung on a stake or tree pole not a literal cross or "T". As for begin a criminal that was only becuase it was illegal to be a christian and question the political powers or romans,etc

bare with me i am new to this and not well at phasing or articulating the intelligentical debates but open to discussion and learning

Clemsy
Working Associate

Re: discussion on octavius and how was jesus killed

Post by Clemsy »

crownrock82 wrote:I was taught that he was hung on a stake or tree pole not a literal cross or "T". As for begin a criminal that was only becuase it was illegal to be a christian and question the political powers or romans,etc

bare with me i am new to this and not well at phasing or articulating the intelligentical debates but open to discussion and learning
Hi crownrock82 and welcome to the JCF Forums. Don't be concerned about your writing, just fire away! We'll ask if anything needs clarification.
I was taught that he was hung on a stake or tree pole not a literal cross or "T".
Interesting! I've never heard that. The Roman method of execution on a T shaped cross was very common.
As for begin a criminal that was only becuase it was illegal to be a christian and question the political powers or romans,etc
Jesus wasn't Christian. They came later. Jesus was a Jew who dared to proclaim identity with god. 'I and the Father are one.' That was, and still is, considered blasphemy. A capital crime back then.

Thankfully it isn't in most places today!

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

lancimouspitt
Associate

Post by lancimouspitt »

My memory is vague on this but i've done some digging through my books.
Dionysus in depictions put upon various vases is shown shrouded in purple robes and hung from a "T" shaped cross. Considering the first visual depictions of Jesus crucified didn't appear until around or after the fifth century ce their was probably quiet a few visual variations placed upon the crucifixtion scene in order to compete with rival mystery cults that where around during the same time,before,or even after the rise of Christanity,before the "cannon" was established.
In the Roman catacombs Jesus is shown with a wand with short hair,raising Lazarus from the dead. The more modern portraits of Jesus didn't appear until later. More evidence that Jesus first had to appeal to a Pagan audience before he could be fully accepted.

More than likely mentioning of Jesus being hung on a tree was more in league which the above mentioned Dionysus or even with Attis who was placed upon a tree and was a way of relating Christ to other sons of god who's establishments where bidding for followers.

In Galatians 3 verse 13 Paul mentions Christ was Hanged on a Gibbet and in the Acts of the Apostles he says Christ was hung on a tree.
In acts 10 verse 39 " And we are wtinesses of all things which he did both in the land of the jews,and in jerusalem;whom they slew and hanged on a tree.

I pretty much summed this up from the Jesus Mysteries by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

I guess it all depends on what the term "crucified" actually means. We assume it means death on a "T". An "X" shape would appear to be far more practicle.

I really never gave it much thought.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

onedone
Associate

Post by onedone »

Hi
I did a little research on this topic which began with the vision presumably Constantine had which was given by his writers years later as the reason his army won the battle that led to Constantine becoming the Emperor of Rome. Here is an interesting link, "Crucifixion in Antiquity"

http://www.centuryone.org/crucifixion2.html

Einherjar
Associate

Post by Einherjar »

What I think is should be mentioned is the translation from Koine Greek. In the early texts they use the term stauros (σταυρός ), before translating it to latin crux, english cross and so on.

The interesting thing is that stauros usually translates to something like pole.

In my region of Norway. there is even today a very similar word is used to describe sturdy poles used in traditional farming when hanging hay up to dry before storage.
The old remaining dialect word is Staur.
Eyvitar firna - er maðr annan skal, þess er um margan gengr guma; heimska ór horskum - gerir hölða sonu - sá inn máttki munr.

Never place blame on man, because it happens to all. No matter how wise, a fool he becomes, when love steals his powers.

Hávamál