That Which is Sacred

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hey Cindy;
The religious and secular elites ate it up. ( Metaphorically, of course, since illuminated manuscipts were hard to swallow... :P )

Hard to swallow or hard to digest ? :lol: :wink:

Great to see you back! ( Hope your electricity stays on. You've had a rough spell with the weather. )
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

:P

And thank you, James. :)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Nermin wrote: This sounds very sublimish however I often ask myself how we will harmonize
cultural diversity with sense of unity for the highest good of our Planet? Diversity
is one of the best things about the world yet our cultures and maybe our religions
need a little more refinement :?:
"Sublimish" is good, I suppose. It's the result of ending up in the deep end.

Cultural diversity is like the problems of genetic mix (much healthier to mix it up) and agricultural crop rotation (keeps the soil in good shape). Without the diversity, the whole of humanity suffers. With it, great strides can be made, if only on the surface.

There is no point in having a school of painting that allows the artists one can of paint to spill on one canvas in exactly the same manner, with precisely the same result. That's a kind of art, I suppose, but it is only original in comparison with other schools that allow for yellow, red and green paint.

I heard there are some that use paint brushes. They appeared in National Geographic, and the little boys were cutting out the pictures and pasting them in their school notebooks. :shock:

~

As for religions, we must consider starting a museum of those so that we can explain how so many can co-exist in spite of the competition and conflict they engender in the name of peace and love.

:arrow:
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Luxetspes
Associate

Parowan Gap

Post by Luxetspes »

Hello Friends,
I am new and technologically-challenged. I would like to share the experience I had visiting the petroglyphs at Parowan Gap. Even without a live narrative to lead the experience of viewing the caves and drawings (and charts), the sacred and mundane are revealed. I wish I could share a video, but some helpful information and photographs can be found here: http://www.parowangap.org/.
Best wishes

Neoplato
Associate

Re: Parowan Gap

Post by Neoplato »

Luxetspes wrote:Hello Friends,
I am new and technologically-challenged. I would like to share the experience I had visiting the petroglyphs at Parowan Gap. Even without a live narrative to lead the experience of viewing the caves and drawings (and charts), the sacred and mundane are revealed. I wish I could share a video, but some helpful information and photographs can be found here: http://www.parowangap.org/.
Best wishes
Very inspiring! I wish I had a chance to go see it for myself. But alas, I'm pretty much stuck on the east coast.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Petroglyphs on Newspaper Rock near Canyonlands
National Park, south of Moab, southeastern Utah, USA------Wikipedia
Last edited by CarmelaBear on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Stonehenge is in the County of Wiltshire in England, and it was probably built 4,000 to 5,000 years ago....Wiki

CarmelaBear
Associate

Re: Parowan Gap

Post by CarmelaBear »

Luxetspes wrote:Hello Friends,
Best wishes
Welcome to the Conversations, Luxetspes, and thank you for your wonderful inspiration.

:D

Luxetspes
Associate

Post by Luxetspes »

Thank you, CarmelaBear! The Stonehenge photo has a similar feel to it, though I've never been. Simplicity reveals complex narrative and myth. At Parowan Gap, the drawings that are clearly spiritual or religious in nature are intertwined with the charts and graphs likely used to facilitate trade. And the Parowan cave is completely reminiscent of Campbel's writings on the World Navel.

I look forward to reading and catching up with so much here. :D

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Luxetspes wrote:Thank you, CarmelaBear! The Stonehenge photo has a similar feel to it, though I've never been. Simplicity reveals complex narrative and myth. At Parowan Gap, the drawings that are clearly spiritual or religious in nature are intertwined with the charts and graphs likely used to facilitate trade. And the Parowan cave is completely reminiscent of Campbel's writings on the World Navel.

I look forward to reading and catching up with so much here. :D
We're hoping you will enjoy this forum and participate for a long time.

I couldn't find Parowan Gap or the caves on Wikipedia. I hope someone adds that topic.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

http://video.powwows.com/

Gathering of the Nations streaming live from Albuquerque, NM 8)

http://www.powwows.com/2013/04/18/2013- ... ram-ebook/
The 30th Anniversary of the Gathering of Nations Pow Wow will be held April 25-27, 2013 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

The program book contains 84 pages of photos, articles, Pow Wow schedule and more!

The book features:

Miss Indian World
The Legend of Tonekei
The Creative Though Behind the Feathers, Fringes and Tie-Dye
Heartbeat of Contemporary Pow Wow
Descriptions of Dance Styles
Pow Wow Schedule
Past Winners
In Memoriam
And much more!
The eBook is viewable on your computer, laptop or mobile device!
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Hey AL! Missed this one, and it is ironic that something so familiar to me would be brought up by someone so far from Albuquerque and so close to heaven.

Thank you.

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

An atheist monument was placed next to the ten commandments. It is a bench with quotes on it.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=19533429

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Thanks for the link. I looked everywhere for the text on the monument and could only find part, but it looks like this is not a monument to the Atheist religion, rather a protest against the Western version of organized Christianity.

A monument should represent what one believes, not what one doesn't.

IMHO

Ron

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Atheists, (and I am not one....I am theistic agnostic), have positive beliefs, and it is not a religion unless you regard truth, (theirs or anyone else's), as "linking back" to something significant. The quotes on the monument were indicative of atheist convictions, which are held with faith in their own capacity to recognize ultimate truth.

It was not simply a protest in reaction to the ten commandments. It was a positive assertion of belief in truth, one of the highest values we own as human beings.

~