That Which is Sacred

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

As a side note in reference to my last post that may provide some relevance of possible amusement. I too could not resist a casting. What I got was one of those: " be careful what you wish for moments " that one can experience from time to time. My first symbol reading was very concerning to me but on the second symbol reading was offered a more positive sounding note in suggestion of resolution.

Put me right back to one of those contemplative reflective personal homework moments I use to have back in the day! :?

A perfect example of my personal request for your kind indulgence concerning the pursuit of " fishing with oracles " if I may be permitted a note of self-humor here. :wink: :lol:

Again warm wishes to you both :)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Information is everywhere in very large amounts and we find contemporary
people acting rakishly in matters of knowledge. Wisdom is different, there's a
human constituent in wisdom. In a sense, wisdom is thou or maybe information
becomes wisdom when we learn to deal with a subject as thou :?:

Information abounds but wisdom is rare -probably as it always have been in
human history :P

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Ercan my friend;

I really enjoy your humorous and sensitive insight. I also was rather surprised and fascinated to see comments about ( Hagakure - Samurai ) and on the I Ching listing in the Influences section of Wikipedia. ( I am still not finished with the deeply contemplative link you posted. It may take awhile on this. Not something you sprint through and deserves the thoughtful respect with which it was written. )

Nerwin;

Being savy and sagacious is a rare quality to develop and harder to apply. ( Mark Twain was particularly adept at this; but alas I sometimes find difficulty in locating my glasses in my attempts to see the forrest for the trees. ) I find more and more my thoughts and muses seem to sabatoge my daily errands and missions. The relevance of errands, work, and maintenace quests seems less important in accomplishment but no less critical in life mechanics as I wade through consideration of the onslaught, barrage, and blitz of information and sensory media overload. The biting, penetrating, and razor-edged satire of the humorists the 1960's and 70's would have completely shredded much of the empty orange juice cans, paper wrappings, and refuse of what passes for cogent and critical analysis in media coverage concerning the substitution of image for substance. ( But like I suggested; I may be somewhat oblivious and self-indulgent at this point to the notion of my own relevance on any of this. Perhaps I have issues concerning this. Humor might help here. :lol: )

In the meantime life will demand, extract, or define what is truely relevant whether I am aware or not. ( Just saying. ) And as I putter along I'll try to stop every so often and give my best attempt to appreciate the company I am in before I move on to the next thing. These visits are truely something to look forward to; and I thank you both for the kind and considerate way in which you share your thoughts.

Best Wishes . 8)

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

James,
Our brains are sometimes separating us from the bigger picture and we feel
the need to reconnect to the soul one way or another. I’m sure that Dr.Jung wrote
a decent prologue to the edition that you have referred in his scholary manner
talking to the intellectual people of his time. Exactly like Joseph Campbell, Jung
also fascinates one’s mind at first sight but then one also perceives the mistakes
and inevitably turns to others like Mircea Eliade for instance to restore the balance.
Because, they all seem sided to me probably because there’s no other way to work in
social sciences. And again, we live in a different world and different cultural circumstances.
So, we naturally need newer interpretations from people like you and me. I have to admit
that sometimes I cannot do anything more than casting coins, however my intention is
still good –I feel that I need more spirit to heal my life and maybe also seek some
support to becalm my doubts. And I start peppering my friends with questions.
Most Wiki articles are very objective but trusting another person and asking his advice
is another thing.
Nermin,
Your words also sounded very wise to me. Sometimes I feel ‘bearish’ trends in the
course of events of my jourmey to borrow the term of stock markets and truly benefit
from such vivid insights. Thank you

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

I really enjoy your humorous and sensitive insight. I also was rather surprised and fascinated to see comments about ( Hagakure - Samurai ) and on the I Ching listing in the Influences section of Wikipedia. ( I am still not finished with the deeply contemplative link you posted. It may take awhile on this. Not something you sprint through and deserves the thoughtful respect with which it was written. )
James,
Somewhere Joseph Campbell compares Japan to Ancient Egypt where everybody and everything were deemed more or less sacred. IMHO, that’s a remarkable aspect of these societies and there are things to learn for people like me who mostly lived in an atomized big city atmosphere. I’m truly glad to find people like you with whom I can share about all cultures of the world :)

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

I'm truly glad to find people like you with whom I can share about all cultures of the world. :)

My good friend Ercan; Please forgive the late reply of a self-absorbed aging fellow who holds you also in the highest esteem. I can only express humble gratitude for your kindness. :D

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

JamesN. wrote:
I'm truly glad to find people like you with whom I can share about all cultures of the world. :)

My good friend Ercan; Please forgive the late reply of a self-absorbed aging fellow who holds you also in the highest esteem. I can only express humble gratitude for your kindness. :D
Feeling deeply humbled once again, James.
There is nothing more notable in Socrates than that he found time, when he was an old man, to learn music and dancing, and thought it time well spent.
wrote Michel de Montaigne :D

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

What a vision. Socrates....dancing. Wonderful. :)
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Somewhere Joseph Campbell compares Japan to Ancient Egypt where everybody and everything were deemed more or less sacred. IMHO, that’s a remarkable aspect of these societies and there are things to learn for people like me who mostly lived in an atomized big city atmosphere. I’m truly glad to find people like you with whom I can share about all cultures of the world
So true, Ercan, I also think that Joseph Campbell is primarily
about this kind of open-mindedness :)
I know that's challenging but who can become a cultural hero
without first affirming such an attitude?
Campbell minus Europe or Campbell minus Far East sounds
like a totally inaccurate reading of what he's talking about :(

True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I have trouble imagining a point of view that does not take the whole of the planet and all of humanity into account. Campbell's sweeping, panoramic view of the history of the great human story allows for a philosophy of viewing society and one's own life. It points the way for those of us who tend to become overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the challenge.

We are living on sacred ground, and it is beautiful.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

CarmelaBear wrote:What a vision. Socrates....dancing. Wonderful. :)
Pythagoreans are also known to enjoy every moment of life, dancing, singing, etc.
Apparently, their way of living was very contrary to our modern stereotypes about
scientists and philosophers :idea:

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Nermin wrote:
CarmelaBear wrote:What a vision. Socrates....dancing. Wonderful. :)
Pythagoreans are also known to enjoy every moment of life, dancing, singing, etc.
Apparently, their way of living was very contrary to our modern stereotypes about
scientists and philosophers :idea:
Yes, life in Alexandria from 200 B.C to 200 A.D. would have been quite interesting. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

CarmelaBear wrote:I have trouble imagining a point of view that does not take the whole of the planet and all of humanity into account. Campbell's sweeping, panoramic view of the history of the great human story allows for a philosophy of viewing society and one's own life. It points the way for those of us who tend to become overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the challenge.

We are living on sacred ground, and it is beautiful.

~
This sounds very sublimish however I often ask myself how we will harmonize
cultural diversity with sense of unity for the highest good of our Planet? Diversity
is one of the best things about the world yet our cultures and maybe our religions
need a little more refinement :?:

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Neoplato wrote: Yes, life in Alexandria from 200 B.C to 200 A.D. would have been quite interesting. :wink:
Great mathematicians are often hallmark of golden periods in history. I think that was
in Middle Ages that our school books started to portray them as peevish scholars
spending their whole time in libraries :?:

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

It was during the medieval period that Greek and Islamic knowledge made its way to Western Europe. The religious and secular elites ate it up. (Metaphorically, of course, since illuminated manuscripts were hard to swallow... :P ) European universities were soon to follow. 8)

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung