Alan Watts

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Grailking
Associate

Alan Watts

Post by Grailking »

I believe everyone would benefit from listening to some of Alan Watts audio lectures.
He was a truly enlightened man whom I have found very thought provoking, mind opening
and transcending :)
His audio lectures fully express his material and make his gems of wisdom much easier to digest than his books.
I believe Alan and Joseph had met a few times and they held each other in high esteem.

bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss »

Hello Grailking,

I could not agree with you more about Alan Watts. Joseph Campbell and Alan Watts were close friends who, as you note, enjoyed each other's company. Chungliang Al Huang, who co-authored Alan Watts' last book - Tao, The Watercourse Way - also collaborated with Joe at Esalen, and is a good friend and supporter of JCF today.

And then Alan's son, Mark Watts, who mixed and released a number of his late father's lectures, also helped produce the first set of lectures in the Joseph Campbell CD series in the 90s.

From what Chungliang relates, when Alan and Joe would get together over a steak dinner and a good Scotch, the conversation sparkled.

Teach777
Associate

Post by Teach777 »

Thanks for reminding me of Alan Watts. It's been years since I have heard his name or read any of his writings.

Roncooper
Associate

Alan Watts

Post by Roncooper »

Thank you for the post. Alan Watts had a TV show on PBS in the early 70s. That is where I discovered him. He was my Pied Piper. I strongly recommend his audio collection, especially one called "images of man." It is a wonderful comparison of Eastern and Western thought.

here is a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m-2I-Xyzuc

Roncooper
Last edited by Roncooper on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

I remember Alam Watts saying that Jesus' statement, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind," was a Zen Koan.

I'm not sure I agree. My feeling is that Jesus' statement is trivial for those who love unconditionally.

I'm confused as usual, and not sure of what he means.

Ron

zoe
Associate

Post by zoe »

I'm confused as usual, and not sure of what he means.
Not to worry. Having read Watts multiple times through the years I always find new ways to view his ideas. Although some of it never makes sense and in those cases one must consider that he may have been drunk when he said it or wrote it.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

I have been thinking about the Feb 22 post in the last month and have some ideas concerning the Zen Koan comment.

Watts had some deep mystical experiences but was an intellectual at the core. He studied Zen and Buddhism in general, but did not practice in a serious way. Instead, he chose to think about and understand the religious landscape. So, when he thought about Jesus, the man, from his intellectual-Buddhist perspective, Watts intrepreted him as a Zen master trying to wake up the people.

I see Jesus as being sincere in his efforts to teach a devotional path to God. I don't think Watts understood the path that has become Bhakti Yoga.

Just some thoughts.

Ron

zoe
Associate

Post by zoe »

That is an interpretation that likely has some basis. Watts did have a Christian background and tends to color his views on that basis (likely part of his appeal back in the day). And he did approach things intellectually although his enlightened experiences seem real enough and transcendent enough to have put that quote in such a light.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Alan Watts: A Tribute to Carl Gustav Jung (55 mins.)

The title of this excellent video is a bit of a misnomer since Watts explores two major topics. The first half focuses on Jung and the main theme of shadow in its negative aspects (Like Campbell, Watts also met with Jung.), and in the second part Watts offers an intellectual analysis of various Eastern philosophies. Enjoy!

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Cindy,

Thanks for the link. The first half reminded me of a statement by Swami Vivekananda who said we use Maya to transcend Maya. The second half was as you said an analysis of eastern philosophy. Very interesting.

Thanks,

Ron

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

gum drop
Associate

Post by gum drop »

what I question in both is the oral fixations with smokes, that is the mother..unresolved..and is easy to see was killing them, why aren't they comforted by their discoveries

EthanT99
Associate

Post by EthanT99 »

Cindy B. wrote:Alan Watts: A Tribute to Carl Gustav Jung (55 mins.)

The title of this excellent video is a bit of a misnomer since Watts explores two major topics. The first half focuses on Jung and the main theme of shadow in its negative aspects (Like Campbell, Watts also met with Jung.), and in the second part Watts offers an intellectual analysis of various Eastern philosophies. Enjoy!

And here I thought I'd seen most of Alan Watt's videos on YouTube.

Looking forward to watching this one later, sounds like a gem!

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

8)

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

What if Money Was No Object?
Published on Mar 2, 2013
What if Money Was No Object? [HD] Alan Watts.
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck