Alan Watts

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Billymack1949
Associate

Post by Billymack1949 »

I've always had a curious thought about Watts, although I really enjoy his stuff, own a lot of it, and admire him. He died an alcoholic. He cheated on his first wife and allegedly ignored his children in favor of a lot of travelling. Now I don’t require my teachers to be perfect at all, but what is it with having such a rich understanding of Zen, Buddhist principles including compassion, and not being able to make the most direct applications to yourself and your own wellbeing? Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but I’m trying to apply all of the spiritual principles I hold dear directly to my body and my intimate relationships. I feel like if they don’t fit there, they aren’t really real to me yet.
This is no ordinary universe!

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

Billymack,

As a fan of Watts I am grateful for the message. To be honest, he did not claim to be a Buddhist. When he was asked this question he replied that he was an entertainer.

I classify him as an artistic intellectual who was very good at explaining Eastern concepts to Westerners.

Perhaps he should be grouped with other artists who created great beauty, but lived chaotic and tragic lives.

Ron

Billymack1949
Associate

Post by Billymack1949 »

Roncooper wrote:Billymack,

As a fan of Watts I am grateful for the message. To be honest, he did not claim to be a Buddhist. When he was asked this question he replied that he was an entertainer.

I classify him as an artistic intellectual who was very good at explaining Eastern concepts to Westerners.

Perhaps he should be grouped with other artists who created great beauty, but lived chaotic and tragic lives.

Ron
Very well put! Thanks for your response. I still feel though that if the things shared are real, they should be able to be applied and not just intellectually tinkered with for a kind of amusement. There has to be an application somewhere or of what use are those things? Again, I'm not judging, I loved the guy and probably would have drank heavily with him. Ahhhh . . . but alas, they say the longest distance in the world is the 18 inches between the head and the heart. :roll:

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

I remember hearing that Watts had some deep mystical experiences. I think he was trying to understand these and explain the insights he got to the Western mind.

It would have been better for him to be more of a devotee, but perhaps he was too weak, or perhaps he saw himself as a shepherd-like bodhisattva who postponed his own practice to help others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva

He was helping others and making a difference in their lives just as he was. That would be difficult to give up.

Ron

Billymack1949
Associate

Post by Billymack1949 »

Roncooper wrote:He was helping others and making a difference in their lives just as he was. That would be difficult to give up. Ron
He was also the product of the Beat Generation, a leader really, along with Alan Ginsbert, Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassady and others. The only reason any of those guys didn't accept a drink or a joint when offered was because they misunderstood the question. :wink:

It was not a time of abstinence to be sure. A lot of good writers are power drinkers, just like good musicians are. Eric Clapton said that he had to consciously learn to play guitar again while not under the influence, it was so natural to play ON iit. i think if Watts was alive and 50 or 60 years old today, he might think differently about his treatment of his body (well, his liver), or maybe not. In the long ru it doesn't matter, he worked his own Dharma out according to his own perception of his life path, and enriched the lives of a lot of people.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

You hit the bull's eye. Those were very different times. When I was a teenager smoking wasn't unhealthy, it was manly.