General Feedback/Questions on Audio Lecture Program

This forum is for focused discussions on The Collected Lectures of Joseph Campbell. Each lecture has its own dedicated conversation.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Clemsy wrote:Officially launched! (Check the Home page.) Threads unlocked!

Clemsy
Thank you all;
But first, I need to make some
reading :-)

Mike Lilian
Associate

Post by Mike Lilian »

I would be interested to receive imput on the meanings/interpretations of some of the symbols of the New Testament ....various parables ; crucifiction ; rersurrection ; "miracles" [raising Lazarus from the dead...loaves and fishes...walking on water...replacing the ear in the garden of Gethsemane ] ; significance of sermon on the mount.
I have studied Campbell's thoughts for 20 years and have been greatly inspired [his religious up-bringing was identical to mine ]....but would have liked to hear him speak more fully on the christian symbols ...the only ones that I have read his explanations for, have been assumption,virgin birth,ascension of Jesus and Mary, plus some cryptic comments on the resurrection and crucifiction.
If I had ever had the chance to invite him around for dinner,I would have certainly seized the chance to have him clarify the above questions for me.

ddepolo141
Associate

Post by ddepolo141 »

I have collected over 40 hours of Joseph Campbell audio tapes over the years and recently bought a Sony walkman because I heard they stopped producing them and I wouldnt be able to play them anymore! I am a novice at itunes but will now try to access them that way, Thanks :)

pmowrey
Associate

Lecture dates?

Post by pmowrey »

Dear all,

Thanks so much to everyone at JCF for this wonderful work -- I can only imagine that cataloguing, editing, archiving, transcribing, etc., all this audio must be an enormous task.

One low-priority question: would it be possible at some point to show on the website (or here in the forum) the venues and dates for all of the available lectures? One can currently find this info for the first ten (I.1.1 - I.2.5) in Series One, and for the current Series Two lectures, but not for the remainder in Series One. Such information might be of interest to many (I know it would be for me!).

Thanks again...

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

pmowrey, that's a great question. I'll forward it to David Kudler and i'm sure he'll respond quickly.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Mike Lilian wrote:I would be interested to receive imput on the meanings/interpretations of some of the symbols of the New Testament,,..
Hi Mike,

What have you read or heard so far?

Carmela
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

pmowrey
Associate

Audio lecture dates

Post by pmowrey »

Dear all,

Revisiting a previous suggestion: would it be possible to have information about venue and date, or at least the year of recording, for all of the published audio lectures? Some of my students (and myself) doing research would like to be able to cite these lectures appropriately, with full information. (The site already contains information for the first ten lectures from Series I, but not the others.)

I suspect others might also share this interest, not just for citation purposes but also just to know at what point during Campbell's career these lectures occurred, since his thought seems to change on some issues over time. With that in mind (and hoping that you'll forgive the long message), I will pass along what I have been able to determine so far, based on references in Collected Works endnotes, online clues, and contextual clues from the lecture itself. I have more confidence in some of these dates than others, but confirmation on all of them would be very helpful. Perhaps others will find this of interest -- but a complete list would still be great! :-)

I.1.1 -- 1967
I.1.2 -- 1961
I.1.3 -- 1961
I.1.4 -- 1961, with some material interpolated from 1974
I.1.5 -- 1974

I.2.1 -- 1967
I.2.2 -- 1970
I.2.3 -- 1970
I.2.4 -- 1969
I.2.5 -- 1968

I.3.1 -- 1972
I.3.2 -- 1966
I.3.3 -- 1966
I.3.4 -- 1966
I.3.5 -- 1968

I.4.1 -- 1972
I.4.2 -- unknown
I.4.3 -- unknown
I.4.4 -- 1968
I.4.5 -- unknown; possibly c. 1973?

I.5.1 -- unknown
I.5.2 -- unknown
I.5.3 -- 1971
I.5.4 -- unknown
I.5.5 -- unknown

I.6.1 -- unknown
I.6.2 -- supposedly 1974, but very similar to talk in MTLB listed as 1967
I.6.3 -- unknown
I.6.4 -- unknown
I.6.5 -- unknown, but directly succeeding I.6.4

II.1.1 on -- all Series II lectures released so far seem to be from 1969

Thanks again to all at JCF for such wonderful and valuable work.

Best,

Peter

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi Peter. You know, I don't recall if sent that query up the line, so I'll just do so right now. :-)

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

David Kudler, the Foundations managing editor, did reply to my query. He said that, number one, it' a great idea. However, it is a matter of time which he is in short supply of considering the Foundation has a limited budget and there are other priorities in the queue.

Certainly it can't happen until after the the site moves to the new platform. At this point all I can say is please stand by!

Cheers,
Clemsy

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Do the records exist?

:?:

jjackson
Associate

Post by jjackson »

I've devoured all the lectures. I've bought some through JCF and some I found on-line on tape and have transferred them to CD. I want more.

So, on Audible.com, a site for books-on-tape, I bought five hours of JC in conversation with Michael Toms, titled "The Wisdom of Joseph Campbell." It's excellent and I recommend it.

Now I see, on abebooks.com, a listing for "The Lost Teachings of JC." The people at Michael Toms' organization, New Dimensions, tell me that "Lost" is indeed different from "Wisdom." I don't doubt them, but I don't know what the difference may be (and they were not more forthcoming). Is anybody out there familiar with either of these, and can you tell me (us) what the differences are?

Thanks very much.

Jack Jackson

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

It seems that there is another source for new material. Thanks for the link, Mr. Johnson.

And welcome!

8)

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

jjackson wrote:Now I see, on abebooks.com, a listing for "The Lost Teachings of JC." The people at Michael Toms' organization, New Dimensions, tell me that "Lost" is indeed different from "Wisdom." I don't doubt them, but I don't know what the difference may be (and they were not more forthcoming). Is anybody out there familiar with either of these, and can you tell me (us) what the differences are?
Hi Jack,

Here's a link with more information:

http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... ings#57059

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Thank you so much for these references :)

Bjorn
Associate

Post by Bjorn »

I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work in bringing us these wonderful lectures!

As for Series II, I'd like to ask how many volumes it will comprise once it's done?

Also, how many lectures (circa) for each volume? I ask this, because volume 1 of Series II is made up of 11 lectures. In the old Series I, the volumes were made up of 5 lectures each.

And... I sincerely hope the transcripts will be back! I'd love to offer my services, but since English is only my second language, I'm quite ruled out. :wink: