Lecture I.2.3 - Confrontation of East and West in Religion

This forum is for focused discussions on The Collected Lectures of Joseph Campbell. Each lecture has its own dedicated conversation.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Persephonespring
Associate

Post by Persephonespring »

The "new age" fad is still strong. Note the Wayne Dwyer shows on PBS.

I, too, was still looking and visited new age for a time. I did learn to meditate there. I started to read the books, and knew that it was just a rehash of ancient truths put to distorted uses.When someone told me that if my sister had wanted to live, she would have (she had 2 primary cancers that had metastasized.......it ended for me. Judgement that harsh and unrealistic ate my lunch.

For me, new age is for people who don't want to do the work of thinking and putting the pieces together for themselves. Another group who want to be spoon-fed the "TRUTH."

Jan
Might be a drop in a bucket, but, as I like to say, no drops, no ocean. :-) Clemsy

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Another group who want to be spoon-fed the "TRUTH."
Unfortunately, truth must be grown and cultivated for oneself. The fruit must be harvested and the weeds burned. Hard work and toil is required to satisfy one's hunger. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Persephonespring
Associate

I agree, neo.

Jan
Might be a drop in a bucket, but, as I like to say, no drops, no ocean. :-) Clemsy

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I suppose that when one wants to find an accessible point of view that makes one feel better in a world spinning out of control.......new age remains useful.

If I thought that positive thinking was going to help with immediate challenges, I might look for more of that. Instead, I am trying to find out what is really going on. As you say, Jan, it takes a lot of hard work to ferret out our own truth.

No shortcuts for the weary.

:shock:
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Persephonespring
Associate

Hmmm, you know when I look and find my own answers, I'm not weary. I'm engaged and engaging with the world and its wisdom.

For me, that's as good as it gets!

Jan

Persephonespring
Associate

Hmmm, you know when I look and find my own answers, I'm not weary. I'm engaged and engaging with the world and its wisdom.

For me, that's as good as it gets!

Jan